Reload this Page >

LIONS GATE ABC TV re-releases

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-10-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walmart has a bunch of the Lions gate re-releases on sale for 5.00.

Felicity S1,S2
Dirty Sexy Money S2
Samantha Who S1,S2

I picked up the first 3, but was wondering if they are missing any special features from the original releases. I can't find anything on the packaging to indicate it, but some have stated that they are missing some special features. I know Felicity discs went from 6 discs to 3, some I'm assuming something is missing or they used double-sided discs or possibly just crammed more on each disc. DSM S2 has (according to Amazon) the same number of discs on the LG release and the ABC release.

Really interested in any info on Felicity and Money, but anything would be great.
Old 02-10-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,548 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: LIONS GATE ABC TV re-releases

. I wish Lionsgate would re-release Once and Again. One of my favorite late 90s dramas on abc. The DVDs have been out of print for years.
Old 02-11-14, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if any of them drop extras. I think DSM has pretty much the same discs as the original release. With Felicity, a review on Amazon mentions that season 1 has single-sided discs: 8 episodes on discs 1 & 2 and 6 on disc 3. According to TVShowsonDVD.com, it is supposed to have all the extras from the original release.
Old 02-11-14, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
I'm not sure if any of them drop extras. I think DSM has pretty much the same discs as the original release. With Felicity, a review on Amazon mentions that season 1 has single-sided discs: 8 episodes on discs 1 & 2 and 6 on disc 3. According to TVShowsonDVD.com, it is supposed to have all the extras from the original release.

Thanks. I thought DSM S2 probably was the same, but I know someone posted that Felicity dropped the extras. I looked at the back of both releases and didn't even see any mention of extras. I was about to return the Felicity's to Walmart because I figured I'd get the original releases sooner or later, but I guess I'll keep them. Didn't think to check TVShowsonDVD.com. Thanks.
Old 02-11-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

I just checked my Felicity Season 1 that I bought at Walmart a month ago (the Lionsgate reissue, natch) and there are NO special features of any kind. Each disc's menu allows you to play all, or go to an episode list. Once you pick an episode, it plays. The end. No options for soundtracks, or subtitles, or deleted scenes, or other shows you may enjoy.

Look up "bare bones" in the dictionary and you'll find this set.
Old 02-11-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a shame. I never tried Felicity, but would if all the special features were there.

I guess it's par for the course for ABC, which I've only lately realized how many of their shows are oop.
Old 02-11-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
. I wish Lionsgate would re-release Once and Again. One of my favorite late 90s dramas on abc. The DVDs have been out of print for years.
Season 1 & 2 are oop. S3 still hasn't gotten an initial release though. My sympathies. I have those thankfully, though missed the complete Alias and Lost sets (sigh).
Old 02-12-14, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I just checked my Felicity Season 1 that I bought at Walmart a month ago (the Lionsgate reissue, natch) and there are NO special features of any kind. Each disc's menu allows you to play all, or go to an episode list. Once you pick an episode, it plays. The end. No options for soundtracks, or subtitles, or deleted scenes, or other shows you may enjoy.

Look up "bare bones" in the dictionary and you'll find this set.
I believe the only extras the original release had was commentary by J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves on the pilot and the season finale. If you're not able to change the audio for those two episodes, I would think the other seasons probably dropped the extras as well.
Old 02-12-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Season 1 & 2 are oop. S3 still hasn't gotten an initial release though. My sympathies. I have those thankfully, though missed the complete Alias and Lost sets (sigh).
That's what I was going to say. They didn't even bother to finish that series.
Old 02-12-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,548 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I know. The season 1 and 2 DVDs were so expensive back when they originally came out that I didn't bother buying them right away hoping they would get discounted. Then they went out of print and the season 3 release was cancelled even though they had the artwork ready.

I ended up getting a bootleg version of seasons 1 and 2 on a trip to Asia last year. Not ideal, but at least I have some copy of them.

I would take a cheap $5 version of the series any day. I know Echobridge is doing cheap re-releases of a lot of old Sony TV shows like TJ Hooker.
Old 02-12-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Has Lionsgate ever listed tv episodes (not talking about on the dvd menu)?
Old 02-15-14, 11:41 AM

Alas, Sela Ward, i wish i knew you well.

i bet she could give Dana Delany a run for her "hottest old broad alive" title.
Old 02-15-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know. The season 1 and 2 DVDs were so expensive back when they originally came out that I didn't bother buying them right away hoping they would get discounted. Then they went out of print and the season 3 release was cancelled even though they had the artwork ready.
Yeah, it was almost impossible to know what to buy and what to wait on back then. There are things I picked up on great deals at say Tower's going out of business sale for $20 that have since been $10 or $5 or less elsewhere. But the flip side, of course, is that once bought we don't have to worry about them going oop anymore, or changes that result in few-to-no extras.

A particular shame with O&A as that 3rd Season was so good. I had thought for awhile that Dempsey's popularity in Grey's Anatomy might ave helped convince them to release it, but no.

I ended up getting a bootleg version of seasons 1 and 2 on a trip to Asia last year. Not ideal, but at least I have some copy of them.

I would take a cheap $5 version of the series any day. I know Echobridge is doing cheap re-releases of a lot of old Sony TV shows like TJ Hooker.
I'm no fan of bootlegs, but I picked up several on ioffer years ago. Certain series like Class of '96, Drive, Pasadena, Reunion and Skin that I knew would never get proper DVD releases. Though maybe there's a small chance for Pasadena with Nathan Fillion, Dana Delaney and it's relative success on cable.

$5 would be great, but I'd just as equally take expensive sets like they've done with China Beach and Wonder Years. Any chance for physical media while it's still possible.
Old 02-15-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
Alas, Sela Ward, i wish i knew you well.

i bet she could give Dana Delany a run for her "hottest old broad alive" title.
I'm not as much a fan of either actress as some other people, but they've both had some great projects. I'm very thankful China Beach got released, but as said above I wish they'd make Pasadena available, and to my great regret I missed Exit to Eden which has been oop for years (though I still have the VHS).