TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Following -- "Family Affair" -- 2/10/14

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Following -- "Family Affair" -- 2/10/14

Synopsis:

RYAN HARDY HUNTS DOWN A DANGEROUS SUSPECT ON AN ALL-NEW "THE FOLLOWING" MONDAY, FEBRUARY 10, ON FOX

After the latest shocking revelation in the case, Ryan and Max attempt to put the pieces together and stay two-steps ahead of the FBI, despite Weston's constant warnings to stay out of the way. Meanwhile, Emma becomes even closer to Mark and Luke, while Joe and Mandy meet up with a follower in search of assistance in the all-new "Family Affair" episode of THE FOLLOWING airing Monday, Feb. 10 (9:00 PM-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOL-204) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Kevin Bacon as Ryan Hardy; James Purefoy as Joe Carroll; Shawn Ashmore as Agent Mike Weston; Valorie Curry as Emma Hill; Connie Nielsen as Lily Gray; Sam Underwood as Luke; Jessica Stroup as Max Hardy; Tiffany Boone as Mandy Lang

Guest Cast: Valerie Cruz as Agent Gina Mendez; James McCaffrey as David Roland; Camille De Pazzis as Giselle; Bambadjan Bamba as Sami; Leslie Bibb as Jana Murphy; Susan Heyward as Hannah

Episode 4 of 15
Old 02-11-14, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Following -- "Family Affair" -- 2/10/14

Did anyone with Directv get their recording cancelled? I checked at 9:50 and the recording light wasn't on. Went to the history and it said the recording was cancelled due to an already scheduled program. I don't get what that means. I had nothing recording at 9pm. Oh well, thank goodness for Hulu.
Old 02-11-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I have Comcast and mine didn't record either. No idea why. But it looks like the episode is scheduled to be recorded Saturday night. Guess they're re-airing it then.
Old 02-11-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom
I have Comcast and mine didn't record either. No idea why. But it looks like the episode is scheduled to be recorded Saturday night. Guess they're re-airing it then.
Weird. I just double checked and tonight's recording was cancelled, but it's set to record the Saturday re-air. WTF? I'm sure this affected more people.
Old 02-11-14, 05:01 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Directv here, and yes, my episode was cancelled, but looks like it will record on Saturday.
Old 02-11-14, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Did anyone with Directv get their recording cancelled? I checked at 9:50 and the recording light wasn't on. Went to the history and it said the recording was cancelled due to an already scheduled program. I don't get what that means. I had nothing recording at 9pm. Oh well, thank goodness for Hulu.
I have DirecTV and I'm not sure if it was canceled or not, but last week I noticed it wasn't set to record, but the re-airing on Saturday night was. So I manually canceled the Saturday showing and manually recorded the Monday night showing; it recorded fine.

For some reason, DirecTV was treating the Saturday repeat as the first airing.
Old 02-11-14, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Mine didn't record either. At least there is a reair.
Old 02-11-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

At least this time the incompetence is not on the side of law enforcement, but who in their right mind would jack a vehicle, commit a murder, drive off in the stolen car; and then promptly abandon the vehicle to relax by a sidewalk cafe for an hour in order to catch a train to get back to the lair?
Old 02-11-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
At least this time the incompetence is not on the side of law enforcement, but who in their right mind would jack a vehicle, commit a murder, drive off in the stolen car; and then promptly abandon the vehicle to relax by a sidewalk cafe for an hour in order to catch a train to get back to the lair?
That whole scene was bizarrely written. The cop had to wait for Ryan to show up...why?
Old 02-11-14, 03:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Watching this week's True Detective and then The Following is like going from Jaws to Sharknado.

(Can't take full credit for this as I read a similar saying on Twitter).
Old 02-12-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I laughed at a dialogue, from Emma, in the previews.

BTW, the show recorded fine in my Comcast box.

I thought last week episode was better than this.
Old 02-12-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched this on Hulu Plus last night.

Last week's was better than this one.

at how Emma was getting all emotional when she saw Joe again.

So the twins aren't biologically related to Lily as revealed.

at how idiotic Ryan was at handling the French girl. He didn't freaking identify himself to anyone and gets into a scuffle while trying to apprehend her and then lets her blurt out that he's some psycho with a gun.

he then says he's a federal agent after he gets grabbed and she gets away.

He could have said he's working with the NYPD and she's a suspect in a homicide.

I like Jessica Stroup, but I think her character is not long for this show. She did say that there aren't many Hardy's left in this world.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-12-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked this episode well enough. I liked the latest twists of Detective Mendez having had a lesbo relationship with Jana the follower. The other "twist from a twist" of Lily not being a biological mom to the twins. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they twisted it once again to say that she does have some kind of a bio connection to them. So far, I still think season 1 was better than this current season. Season 2 has 11 more chances to show me, personally of course, that it can outshine season 1. There's the potential to do so, but will they deliver?
Old 02-12-14, 03:10 PM

Man, not only did stupidity abound in this episode - so did boring. Why, oh why, is Hollywood so fascinated with super hot 100 pound model/assassins who are immune to physical pain and damage while possessing the strength of a full grown male gorilla and martial art skills to make Bruce Lee look like a drunken pansy? I can get the French chick kicking Ryans' ass as he' s a skinny runt himself but the guy she strangled? Come on, he was twice her size and yeah, he was wounded, but he was well enough to be released from the hospital. Why didn't he just grab her by the hair and repeatedly punch her in the head till unconscious? Oh, yeah, I forgot about the superhuman strength and skill.
And the whole emo conversation between Lily and Emma? My God, boring and stupid! We weren't loved by our parents so we have to love each other for the psycho's we are. Please! The whole thing about psychopathy/sociopathy is a total lack of feeling for anyone other than self. And then the now lesbian FBI agent in charge not noticing that her partner, a former FBI agent, is a follower? Well, at least they're reestablishing the tradition of gross FBI incompetence.
I've grown to love the show for it's exasperating, over the top retardiness but it can't be boring.
Old 02-12-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I watched this on Hulu Plus last night.

So the twins aren't biologically related to Lily as revealed her.
I thought that at first but then the other twins from Africa showed up. Maybe everyone is adopted?
Old 02-13-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Checking in to see if the show has made any improvements from Season one. No? Guess I'll continue to stay away, carry on...
Old 02-13-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It's the African twins from the housekeeper. Right?
Old 02-13-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Checking in to see if the show has made any improvements from Season one. No? Guess I'll continue to stay away, carry on...
The tone has changed a bit from season one. They don't completely
forsake logic anymore for the sake of a cheap cliffhanger. The characters are nutty as ever, however.
Old 02-14-14, 01:45 PM

My favorite part of this episode was Kevin Bacon telling the girl over the phone not to move, he'll be there in a minute...as he goes past a sign saying W 57th St and then shows up at E 42nd and Park seconds later.

My own fault for paying that much attention to that stuff.