Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Amazon purchases Double Helix Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Amazon purchases Double Helix Games

They're the creator of XBox One's Killer Instinct, if anyone needed a refresher.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/05/ama...e-helix-games/

News of the deal leaked due to an invitation to joint recruiting event from Amazon and Double Helix Games taking place in L.A. on February 13th. The acquisition announcement was planned to take place at that time, most likely.

Amazon has provided TechCrunch with the following statement regarding the deal:

“Amazon has acquired Double Helix as part of our ongoing commitment to build innovate games for customers.”

The Double Helix deal may fuel to the recent rumors that Amazon is preparing to release its own gaming console in the coming months. Last week, the video game industry blog VG247.com reported that Amazon is planning to launch an Android-powered “dedicated games and entertainment device this year priced below $300… [that] will compete directly with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.” Buzz about an Amazon console has been around for a while: This past summer, the rumor was that the company was planning to debut a Qualcomm-based console system. Amazon declined to comment on the console speculation when reached today.
I think Amazon trying to make any sort of console would be a losing venture, but interesting to see them buy an established studio.
Old 02-05-14, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon purchases Double Helix Games

I've seen an article here or there about Amazon's efforts to get content for their Fire OS. Build an ecosystem big enough that customer's never have to leave it.

I wish Amazon would buy EA, maybe they could get The Simpsons: Tapped Out to work reliably.
Old 02-06-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless they are willing to take a huge loss on each system, I don't see it competing with Microsoft or Sony. Now Nintendo and Ouya, maybe.
Old 02-06-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, they'd be willing to take a loss on each system. Just look at the Kindle. The hardware matters less and less as long as they are the proprietary software delivery service. Just look at iTunes. Jeff Bezos is a genius. I'd buy an Amazon console in a heartbeat and I think they could absolutely complete with Sony / MS.
Old 02-06-14, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be interested to see wtf a console from them would be like. Cuz hardware matters for sure in the long run.