Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Funny bleeps

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Funny bleeps

Some shows still bleep curse words such as reality shows but I have noticed lately that some of the bleeping is really ineffectual or sometimes really odd. Some examples:

Bravo frequently bleeps the F word where the bleep comes just before the F so you hear the full word clearly

On Sherlock last night, they bleeped the hole in "asshole" but completely left in "dickhead". I thought that was hysterical.

I have always thought bleeping was one of the most ridiculous things ever. Dubbing is different because it can hide a word, but in today's very PC world it adds some humor to the bleeps
Old 01-27-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Funny bleeps

A lot of times God is cut when someone says "Goddamn."That always struck me as funny.
Old 01-27-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I remember back in the early 90's, CITYTV in Toronto would air movies with the word "fuck", but not "motherfucker", so they would drop the audio in the word "mother". I remember this whenever they showed Predator.
Old 01-27-14, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I just watched an episode of "The Moaning of Life" where they bleeped Karl Pilkington saying the word "***"... but he was talking about a cigarette.

EDIT: How hilarious... I guess I can't say that word on DVDTalk either. Sorry, British users... I guess you need to stick with "cigarette."

Last edited by marginal; 01-27-14 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Ridiculous filtering
Old 01-27-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I was watching Law & Order on WE, and they bleeped "off" in "do you get off"; however, they left in words like "ass" and "bitch."
Old 01-29-14, 08:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some syndicated reruns of Law and Order: SVU feature mutes that were not in the original NBC broadcast. I remember one where a newspaper article about a sex crime had a portion of the headline digitally "whited out", and when a detective read the headline aloud, the corresponding dialogue was muted.
Old 01-29-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The all time Classic is of course the version of Die Hard 2 on TBS: yippee kai yay, Mr, Falcon!
Old 01-29-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Many reality shows bleep when people aren't even cursing so you THINK they're cursing. Drives me crazy.
Old 01-30-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The all time Classic is of course the version of Die Hard 2 on TBS: yippee kai yay, Mr, Falcon!
No ... the ALL TIME classic is:

Old 01-30-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

You don't even need to bleep bad words for what you're saying to sound naughty...

Old 01-30-14, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always laugh when a show is rated TV-MA (which is the highest most adult rating) but because the show is on basic cable, they have to bleep uses of the word "fuck"
Old 01-30-14, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
In part 1 I think it's yippee kai yay melon farmer.
Old 01-31-14, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched "Running Man" on regular TV, knowing full well it was going to be edited. I really only wanted to watch it for the part where the old lady calls Ben Richards "one bad motherfucker"....the edit I got was a greater than I could ever imagine.

"one bad motherfucker" became "one bad mound of flesh".

Old 01-31-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
No ... the ALL TIME classic is:
Still NO, the all time classic is...

Old 01-31-14, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Still NO, the all time classic is...

"that's what happens when you find a guy in the alps"

Nice
Old 01-31-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Not a "bleep", but I've often wondered why the BBC allows off-color language to be spoken, but censors any subtitles they might use. This happens often on "news magazine" type shows like The Money Programme or Panorama.

Imagine they're doing a piece about car repair shops ripping people off, and they're using a hidden camera. Someone on camera says something like, "well, we're ripping the fuckers off, ain't we?". The audio will air as-is, without beeps. But if they decide to subtitle it - maybe the guy has a thick accent, or maybe the environment is loud - the subtitles will say "well, we're ripping the f-----s off, ain't we?"
Old 01-31-14, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Not a "bleep", but I've often wondered why the BBC allows off-color language to be spoken, but censors any subtitles they might use. This happens often on "news magazine" type shows like The Money Programme or Panorama.

Imagine they're doing a piece about car repair shops ripping people off, and they're using a hidden camera. Someone on camera says something like, "well, we're ripping the fuckers off, ain't we?". The audio will air as-is, without beeps. But if they decide to subtitle it - maybe the guy has a thick accent, or maybe the environment is loud - the subtitles will say "well, we're ripping the f-----s off, ain't we?"
Speaking of foreign language in shows, why is it that shows can outright use the worst words in say French or Yiddish or whatever, not bleep them and no one ever complains?
Old 01-31-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Speaking of foreign language in shows, why is it that shows can outright use the worst words in say French or Yiddish or whatever, not bleep them and no one ever complains?
Good question. My ex-GF is Puerto Rican, and would often gasp out loud at some of the things they'd say in Spanish on network TV.