TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Opposite Worlds (SyFy) -- New Reality Competition Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Opposite Worlds (SyFy) -- New Reality Competition Series

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I69e-WCceso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Opposite Worlds is a competitive reality series, airing Tuesdays at 10/9c and Wednesdays (LIVE!) at 10/9c. In Opposite Worlds, 14 people face off on opposing teams that live in a house separated into two distinctly different worlds: one past and one future, each with its own unique advantages and disadvantages.

Adding to the drama is a glass wall dividing the house into the two environments, allowing the teams to watch, envy and dread each other's every move. Every week, cast members compete in a series of fast-paced challenges that determine where each team lives, as well as who stays….and who goes home. Amidst all of this, viewers will be asked to participate in real time on Twitter and affect the outcome of each player's fate.

12 episodes over the next 6 weeks. Airs Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I'll check out least the 1st one and see if this premise is compelling or not.
Old 01-22-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Opposite Worlds (SyFy) -- New Reality Competition Series

Anyone watch this last night?

What an odd show. I've never seen Big Brother, but the format seems similar to it along with a some Survivor in it as well.

at the goofy cavemen outfits the past contestants have to wear.
Old 01-22-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

One of the worst hours of television I've seen in the past year. I struggled to make it through an hour. I don't care at all about social media "influencing" the game and I didn't find a single person in the cast very interesting.
Old 01-22-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah that was pretty awful. I think I will stick to scripted shows on SyFy. I don't care at all about the social media aspect influencing the game.

Seems like SyFy just wanted to fill a timeslot with something really cheap. Overall it felt really low budget.
Old 01-22-14, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw an ad for this, wanted to vomit. Past versus future!

Then they show 'the future' is being served cupcakes and grapes on platters and dressing in white. In the promo!!! Where you'd expect the stunning 'draws' to be on display. If the symbology of the future = cupcakes and grapes, we're in trouble.

Somebody needs to nuke the entire SyFy executive offices. I'm as hardcore a sci-fi/supernatural enthusiast as exists, wouldn't be caught dead watching *anything* on the network as it stands. So if I'm not the audience, a 30 year old male nerd/geek, who the hell is?

It really pisses me off to think this network is really the primary place that should be devoted to programming I love. Sad to think once upon a time, this was Stargate, Farscape and BSG. Far sadder to imagine all the Farscape's and BSG's which will never be, in favor of... this?

Or wrestling, atrocious movies universally reviled for stupidity (hi sharknado!), Urkel in the dark, etc.

Supernatural can last nine seasons on network TV. Reality shows? TBS comes up with King of the Nerds, which I actually somewhat enjoy. SyFy? Fangasm... 'nuff said. It scares me to think of who (or what) is running SyFy as things stand. They pick this show up, but TBS gets KotNs? Beverly Hills Pawn would fit as well, yet it's on Reelz? Two prime examples where it's not an issue of cost, or even different niches - SyFy is just, quite clearly, filled with some of the most incompetent people on the planet. Then again, that's obvious: these being the geniuses who thought renaming themselves 'SyFy' was a smart move.

Last edited by Coladar1; 01-22-14 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

SyFy has actually turned a corner with their scripted programming. Haven is one of the best serialized shows on the air and they have a couple of other solid genre programs. They don't really specialize in actual sci-fi anymore, but supernatural-tinged content.
Old 01-23-14, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I actually came back for the next night ... still not feeling it. The host is obnoxious as @#ck.
Old 01-24-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

And the only one I was really interested in was eliminated first.

Lame.
Old 01-25-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
And the only one I was really interested in was eliminated first.

Lame.
I started to say that ... eye candy!
Old 02-05-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Anyone catch this last night? My guide showed it as a repeat so DVR didn't record, but I did catch the second viewing. Also, the live show is on at a different time tonight.

The highlight of this episode was definitely the two Epoch members taking a bath together!
Old 02-07-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I typically watch a lot of competition based reality shows and I have to say, this is one of the worst. The future/past dynamic sounds cool in theory, but in really provides no actual impact. The competitions are lame. This past elimination had to be one of the stupidest I ever saw. Winning team pits the smallest girl against the strongest guy, thinking since it's an agility challenge they'll have the advantage. Guy has 1 minute to catch girl. Round starts, what does the girl do, RUNS STRAIGHT TOWARDS THE GUY. Like wtf! So that was over in less than 10 seconds, and 8 of those seconds were both of them entering the arena. I love how they have all these obstacles and stuff set up, but the lady just runs straight to the guy and none of them even got used.