Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Klondike (Discovery) - Mini Series Event - S: Richard Madden, Abbie Cornish, Tim Roth

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Klondike (Discovery) - Mini Series Event - S: Richard Madden, Abbie Cornish, Tim Roth

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 08:52 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

It was announced today that Academy Award nominated actor Sam Shepard will be joining the cast of Discovery Channel's first-ever, scripted mini-series KLONDIKE (wt). Shepard will be playing the role of Father Judge. Shepard was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in Philip Kaufman's The Right Stuff. He is also a screenwriter, director and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright for his 1979 three-act play "Buried Alive." This year, Shepard will star in Jeff Nichols' film, "Mud", opposite Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon, as well as in "August: Osage County" opposite Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts and Abigail Breslin and Scott Cooper's "Out Of The Furnace" opposite Christian Bale and Zoe Saldana. Other notable film credits include "Baby Boom," "Steel Magnolias", "Defenseless" and "Thunderheart." His notable television films and miniseries have included Larry McMurtry's "Streets of Laredo,"" Lily Dale," "Purgatory," "Dash and Lilly" (which brought him both Golden Globe and Emmy nominations for his performance as writer Dashiell Hammett), "One Kill," "Wild Geese," and "Ruffian." The mini-series, previously announced last year, is based on Charlotte Gray's book Gold Diggers: Striking It Rich in the Klondike, and brings to life the tale about six strangers and their collective fight for survival and wealth in a small, frontier town in the remote Klondike. KLONDIKE is a co-production between Discovery, Entertainment One (eOne), and Nomadic Pictures, in association with Scott Free Productions. International distribution is handled by eOne Television. Paul Scheuring ("Prison Break," "A Man Apart") is the primary writer and will serve as Executive Producer, along with Ridley Scott and David W. Zucker; as well as John Morayniss and Michael Rosenberg for eOne. Eileen O'Neill and Dolores Gavin will serve as Executive Producers for Discovery.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FVlPXVczArg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Abbie Cornish as Belinda
· Augustus Prew as Byron Epstein
· Chris Cooper as Father Judge (Originally Cast)
· Conor Leslie as Sabine
· Ian Hart as Soapy Smith
· Johnny Simmons as Jack London
· Marton Csokas as Steele
· Richard Madden as Bill Haskell
· Sam Shepard as Father Judge
· Tim Blake Nelson as Meekor
· Tim Roth as The Count

CREW INFORMATION:
· Chad Oakes as CO-PROD
· Charlotte Gray as BOOK
· David W. Zucker as EP
· Dolores Gavin as EP (Discovery)
· Eileen O'Neill as EP (Discovery)
· John Morayniss as EP
· Josh Goldin as CP
· Michael Rosenberg as EP
· Mike Frislev as CO-PROD
· Paul Scheuring as WRTR/EP
· Rachel Abramowitz as CP
· Ridley Scott as EP
· Simon Cellan Jones as DIR
3 Part mini series - airing 1/20 - 1/22
Old 01-20-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Klondike (Discovery) - Mini Series Event - S: Richard Madden, Abbie Cornish, Tim

Hard to miss the premiere date of Klondike if you've been watching the Discovery Channel lately. The ID bug, the large font hashtag -- for a non-sports/non-news channel, I think Discovery is the worst offender of having obstructive onscreen graphics run on their programming since TNT. It's absurd if this is their method in combating the DVR and the viewers who fast-forward through the commercials.

I may just catch this miniseries On Demand or on DVD/Bluray if they start plastering ads for an ALL NEW Moonshiners on all four corners.
Old 01-20-14, 12:38 PM

Re: Klondike (Discovery) - Mini Series Event - S: Richard Madden, Abbie Cornish, Tim

That's great.
Old 01-20-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Really liked the premiere. The 2hrs flew by. Robb Stark running from the wolves was great. It's like Hells on wheels combined with Deadwood set in the Artic.
Old 01-22-14, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of surprised that more posters aren't commenting.

We liked both Pts. 1 & 2 & are looking forward to the conclusion tonight. Nice production values & acting, although Belinda sure seems to have a stylish wardrobe given the environment. At times she seems to have stepped off the cover of Vogue into the Yukon.

Maybe she was patterned after Scrooge McDuck's Yukon squeeze.

Nothing ground-breaking but still a solid adventure story well-told. Richard Madden is basically playing Robb Stark again...an honorable man in a hostile land.

Or should that be "a knight without armor in a savage land?"
Old 01-22-14, 08:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm recording this and plan to watch at a later date. Glad to see it's receiving good feedback -- the reviews I've read have been generally positive as well so that's hopeful.
Old 01-22-14, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I'm recording this and plan to watch at a later date. Glad to see it's receiving good feedback -- the reviews I've read have been generally positive as well so that's hopeful.
I'm doing the same. I did that for Mob City though...and still haven't watched it.
Old 01-22-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by skatefan20

Hard to miss the premiere date of Klondike if you've been watching the Discovery Channel lately. The ID bug, the large font hashtag -- for a non-sports/non-news channel, I think Discovery is the worst offender of having obstructive onscreen graphics run on their programming since TNT. It's absurd if this is their method in combating the DVR and the viewers who fast-forward through the commercials.

I may just catch this miniseries On Demand or on DVD/Bluray if they start plastering ads for an ALL NEW Moonshiners on all four corners.
Yeah, I really wanted to watch this but it was aggravating after a while having to peek through all the shit on the screen. I just don't get why all this is necessary.
Old 01-22-14, 09:20 AM
Banned

^ ^ ^

Very true about the annoying graphics. Even worse is the re-run of the show leading up to a new episode. Turned it on a bit early last night & they were rerunning Pt. 1 with a big "countdown" in the lower-right corner ("Only 17.48 until new episode", etc.)...and then a big graphic pops up in the upper left saying "Klondike Pt. 2 next"...while the countdown is still running in the opposite corner.

Tim Roth & Alan Rickman should do a movie together called "Smarmy Villains". Or both guest on The Blacklist and have a sneer-off with Spader. If sneers could kill, those three would be mass murderers.
Old 01-22-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I just can't get over the language. You hear "shit" every 5 minutes and used in some Deadwood-ish creative ways.
Old 01-22-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's hard finding six hours of free time in under three days. There are good reasons why the mini-series format isn't so popular anymore. It would be easier to keep up with it as six, one-hour episodes shown on a weekly basis.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 01-22-14 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll DVR this and watch it later, but I love the mini-series format. I'd so much rather watch a show that was designed to be 6-8-10-12 hours long and has a definite story-arc than watch some show get cancelled too soon or linger too long.
Old 01-22-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Watching via DVR as well. I admire how much they put into production quality. The acting isn't that bad either. Found it amusing that it shows a wolf when Richard Madden's name appears in the credits. Abbie Cornish isn't that bad of an actress either. Don't know if women wore liquid legging/leather pants in those days though.
Old 01-23-14, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Ditto. Too much story too close together to watch during the work week. I'll probably marathon it this weekend. Just wanted to see some feedbabck to make sure it would be worth my while.
Old 01-23-14, 09:10 AM
Banned

Without giving anything away, I had to chuckle when one of Madden's partners yelled, "I know nothing" (or "You know nothing, (character's name)!" Wondered if it was a shout-out to GoT.

Recommended overall, but it did tend to be a bit melodramatic (and some of the stupid plot devices discussed elsewhere were employed...including the old "stand within arm's length of someone when holding a gun on them"). Concluding episode got predictable at times and tried to hard to wrap up all loose threads...they could have done that and still been more original.

I'd give the show a solid B/B- overall.

And I agree with traxan about the language. I'm sure the prospectors constantly swore and expressed themselves in vulgarities (and would have done so more 'creatively' and frequently if this had been a premium channel production)...but it did seem that they were trying to establish their current bonafides to a generation of tv watchers used to such language.

And anyone playing a drinking game every time Abbie Cornish said "G-d" is probably being treated for alcohol poisoning right now.
Old 01-23-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished. Overall a good show, but the third part was the weakest. I did like that they didn't go the typical Hollywood route, but then again history is hard to change. Reading the epilogue information actually made everything a bit depressing. Made it clear that Bill and Belinda probably would have been better off sticking together.
While she wasn't great, I think it's a shame Abbie Cornish can't get better roles in major movies. She's a very competent actress, worth more than playing Robocop's wife.
Old 01-24-14, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Ditto. Too much story too close together to watch during the work week. I'll probably marathon it this weekend. Just wanted to see some feedbabck to make sure it would be worth my while.
Agreed. For others planning to do the same, Discovery is airing the complete miniseries this Saturday (morning through mid-afternoon).
Old 01-25-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Part 3 = Orange is the new Gold? They upped the humor in the last nite thanks to Tim Blake Nelson's Meekor and a coffin ride. And the footnotes at the closing for the real life personalities however were a bit depressing.

Yeah some of the dialgoue was melodramatic, overwrought at times. And there were hints of Richard Madden's Scottish brogue slipping out (I think I even heard it in his voiceovers!). But overall the six hours were engrossing and went by fast - enjoyed the beautiful photography, visuals, and the principal cast/acting (from the two Tims to Abbie Cornish's baaaadass Belinda). And based on the behind-the-scenes interviews and videos, this appeared to be a project that didn't rely or wasn't marred by CGI.

I loved it. A-/B+

Originally Posted by creekdipper
And anyone playing a drinking game every time Abbie Cornish said "G-d" is probably being treated for alcohol poisoning right now.
Also the whore who constantly called herself a whore...I'm sure there was a few more drinking games with this series.
Old 01-25-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I seriously watched the whole series without realizing that was Abbie Cornish because of the hair.
The lead would make a great Hal Jordan, may end up as Mr Fantastic.

Last edited by cleaver; 01-25-14 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cleaver
The lead would make a great Hal Jordan, may end up as Mr Fantastic.
Madden certainly resembles Ioan Gruffudd from the last go-round of FF flicks.

Maybe Madden could play Hornblower if they ever revive that series.
Old 01-26-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It turned out okay. I really thought Robb Stark was perfect for his role, but that third part has so many inane plot twists. I ended up liking the Superintendent character's story more than anyone else.
Old 01-26-14, 08:23 PM

Watched this over the weekend. Watched parts 1-2 yesterday and finished off 3 today. I thought it was actually pretty decent. Enough to want me to tune on for more. Agree Rob Stark was pretty good. Got a kick out of Sam Shepard -- his hair was channeling Christopher Walken's perfectly.
Old 01-30-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It turned out okay. I really thought Robb Stark was perfect for his role, but that third part has so many inane plot twists. I ended up liking the Superintendent character's story more than anyone else.
I thought the third part had a little too much of people acting stupid for plot purposed. Madden's character is going after a notorious sharpshooter and he stands out in the open under a bunch of mountains where the killer has stated he likes to hide yelling for him?