Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shameless - "My Oldest Daughter" - 1/19/14

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 01:01 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Shameless - "My Oldest Daughter" - 1/19/14

Season 4, Episode 2
Episode Synopsis: Fiona is involved in a road rage incident that damages a company car and leads her to tell a lie about how it happened. Meanwhile, Lip struggles in school and with the ladies. Original Air Date: Jan 19, 2014
Old 01-19-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Shameless - "My Oldest Daughter" - 1/19/14

So is Lip at MIT or just at a school in the Chicago area?

I would think that Kevin would know the finances of the bar better. I thought he basically ran it but I guess not the financials.

Triplets + One? Holy shit. I thought Veronica couldn't even get pregnant and now she's got three in there? I can't remember if she had been taking fertility drugs previously which would explain it.
Old 01-20-14, 06:04 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The tutor was seeeeexy. I got a good laugh at the "but I fuck like a sophmore" line.
Old 01-20-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the tutor is another Greek alum
Old 01-20-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Baby, you know what this means? I got a magic dick.

I got a magic penis.

Kevin and Veronica the parents of triplets is such a disaster waiting to happen.

Lip's blonde tutor is hot!

at Fi's boyfriend being so clingy. And man, that psycho who attacked her car.
Old 01-20-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I would think that Kevin would know the finances of the bar better. I thought he basically ran it but I guess not the financials.
Yea, I think the writers kind of twisted things around from how they used to be - because I remember Kevin was involved in the financial aspects of the bar - and wasn't just a bartender.

I liked how Lip thinks he's in his old neighborhood and can get laid just as easily. And because a chick was from his old neighborhood, he thinks he can mention some other chick he wanted to bang wasn't available so he could simply propose that they "bang one out" and she'll be game - or at the very least, not offended.
Old 01-21-14, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I don't like the convenience of writing, how Lip happens to be utterly brilliant when the script wants him to, and then struggling with the story wants him to. If he genuinely struggled like that on freshman courses, no professor would've gone so far to recruit him like they did last year.
Old 01-21-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't like the convenience of writing, how Lip happens to be utterly brilliant when the script wants him to, and then struggling with the story wants him to. If he genuinely struggled like that on freshman courses, no professor would've gone so far to recruit him like they did last year.
Agreed. And to address the other posters question, he is at a Chicago technical school, not MIT. While I get why he wouldn't end up attending MIT, I don't get why he is living on campus and working there when he could just be a commuter student. I'm glad the show followed him to college, but it doesn't make much sense.

All I can think is Lip was good with technical stuff but not writing. But that spent explain how he was making money writing essays and taking tests for his classmates in previous seasons.
Old 01-21-14, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Debbie stuff is cringe-inducing.
Old 01-21-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems pretty clear to me that he is smart, he's just not trying. He got by in high school because he was smart at a shitty high school. They made it clear that he studied for 15 minutes before the test, and last week that class he didn't care about the subject matter so he's blowing it off.
Old 01-22-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one girl from the neighborhood made mention about how she struggled her freshman year because the education she got back home was so shitty... that would be the writers way of summing up Lip's troubles in a nutshell
Old 01-22-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lewisb73
The one girl from the neighborhood made mention about how she struggled her freshman year because the education she got back home was so shitty... that would be the writers way of summing up Lip's troubles in a nutshell
Still doesn't explain why he was being recruited so aggressively if he was only smart by the low standards at the school. Plus, didn't Lip ace the SATs - I seem to recall that. I'll just chalk it up to Lip being a little lazy and he hasn't adapted yet to the way things are done in college.

I still don't get why he's living on campus in the same city and working in a kitchen. I figured he'd still be living at home, helping out with the bills and running his scams - which would probably get him a lot more money. Although I'm not sure how this college thing was set up - maybe it was mentioned last season.
Old 01-22-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Exactly. They made a big point about him being particularly gifted, not just for his shitty high school, but overall, as in he'd be one of the academic stars at any university he went to. But I guess they have to create conflict somewhere...
Old 01-22-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The triplets scene was hilarious.

Agree with the shoddy writing on Lip.
Old 01-22-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Exactly. They made a big point about him being particularly gifted, not just for his shitty high school, but overall, as in he'd be one of the academic stars at any university he went to. But I guess they have to create conflict somewhere...
I think he's still gifted, but his gifts let him coast in high school. In college he'll need to actually apply himself. A paper like the one he wrote probably would have got him an A in high school because the teacher would have just been happy that he had read the book.
Old 01-22-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't buy the Lip stuff. He was never shown as a guy that was just smart for his age or his environment. He was shown to be an actual genius. Freshmen classes shouldn't be an issue for him, even when he's half assing it. He got recruited to go to MIT, they don't just hand that out to a guy that isn't smart enough to get through freshmen economics.

The social issues I can understand, a little bit. But even that doesn't make a ton of sense.

I guess it's all just setting up for him to quit and move back home. Which I'm fine with.
Old 01-22-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hated the whole baby thing with V and Kevin.
When Kevin knocked up his MIL, I knew that eventually V would wind up getting pregnant after all. And then when Kevin finds out the bar isn't making much money (which I still think Kevin should know this - in other seasons they show that he's in touch with the financials) I was wondering if they're going to have twins to make it worse - then we find out she's having triplets.

You know it's a tired concept when it's easy to predict. That's whole scenario's been done to death.

The Deb thing is very creepy.

Will Ian be in this season at all, or is the actor going to school or something?

I'm assuming at some point Fiona will find out about Jimmy's fate.

Frank's "oldest daughter" came out of nowhere. It's believable that he would have children elsewhere, but they obviously pull that out of their ass because they needed more storyline material.
Old 01-22-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So is Lip at MIT or just at a school in the Chicago area?
The podium showed Chicago Polytechnics University, which I am sure is a fictional school, but somewhere nearby or at least in Chicago...
Old 01-22-14, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I'm not buying the Lip stuff either. He aced the SAT's, and not just once, but multiple times taking it for other students. Not even passing freshman core classes at an average college? No way, regardless of how lazy he is. I'm thinking maybe he has a scholarship that forces him to live on campus for a certain amount of time, which explains why he isn't at home.
Old 01-23-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Still doesn't explain why he was being recruited so aggressively if he was only smart by the low standards at the school. Plus, didn't Lip ace the SATs - I seem to recall that. I'll just chalk it up to Lip being a little lazy and he hasn't adapted yet to the way things are done in college.

I still don't get why he's living on campus in the same city and working in a kitchen. I figured he'd still be living at home, helping out with the bills and running his scams - which would probably get him a lot more money. Although I'm not sure how this college thing was set up - maybe it was mentioned last season.
I never said I agreed with it, thats how I thought the writers explained it...
Old 01-23-14, 01:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I too ain't buying Lip's storyline this season. The stuff with Kevin and Veronica in this episode was pretty good. We all knew him inheriting the bar wouldn't necessarily turn out to be a good thing.