Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How long till a game finally clicked for you?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-18-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Oblivion took a 3rd playthrough till it finally clicked for me. Had it on 360 when it first came out. I rushed through the game's tutorial ignoring the skill system. I just picked a random set of skills not knowing at the time how important they were. Played about 50 hrs and kept getting frustrated at not leveling anymore. I gave up on the game.

A few years later i picked up the GOTY edition on PS3. Did a 2nd playthrough with a custom save i found on Gamefaqs that had maxed out all skills and gave me every spell. I thought i would love that aspect but after a few hours everything was just boring and too easy. So I gave up.

It was when I started playing Skyrim i finally understood the skill system. Found which set of skills I got the most use out of (battlemage). After putting over 100 hrs into Skyrim I took a break and went back to Oblivion. Picked the right set of skills and now 40 hrs later finished Knights Of The Nine this morning and can't stop playing again.
Old 01-18-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How long till a game finally clicked for you?

Fallout 3 was my first game in that series. I bought it sight unseen and popped it in one afternoon. I played for a bit and it didn't seem interesting to me. A few days later I played more and I was still pretty sure I had wasted my money buying the game. Easter was just around the corner and my wife had to work so we weren't going anywhere. I played that damn game the entire time she was at work and then some. I had to force myself to stop. I just needed more than short little play sessions to really into the environment and the story. I only wish New Vegas had clicked like that eventually.
Old 01-19-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How long till a game finally clicked for you?

Bought Warcraft III when it was still a new-ish game. Finished the Human campaign, decided that the story and gameplay sucked, and didn't continue.

Tried again a few years later. Decided that my first impressions were correct, and stopped at almost the same point.

A couple of months ago (ten years since my previous attempt), I tried Warcraft III again. I loved the story, totally got into the gameplay, and I essentially dedicated my life to finishing it. It ended up being one of my favorite games ever.

I concluded that my first two attempts came too soon after finishing Starcraft.