Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Psych (USA) -- Season 8 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Psych (USA) -- Season 8 Thread

The laughs continue with the season eight premiere of PSYCH on Wednesday, January 8 at 9/8c. USA's longest-running series stars James Roday, Dulé Hill, Corbin Bernsen, Maggie Lawson, Timothy Omundson and Kirsten Nelson, who makes her directorial debut. In the premiere episode Santa Barbara's favorite faux psychic and his sidekick travel to London and come face-to-face with Despereaux (returning guest star Cary Elwes). The 10 episode season also includes the fan-selected "A Nightmare on State Street," directed by Roday, and a special remake of the season one episode "Cloudy with a Chance of Murder." Additional guests include Oscar(R) winner Mira Sorvino, Tony(R) winner Phylicia Rashad, Kristy Swanson, Anthony Michael Hall, Tom Arnold, Billy Zane, Emmy winner Loretta Devine and Bruce Campbell.

10 episode 8th season. It has not been decided yet that season 8 is the last.

I figured for fans of the show here, this deserves at least 1 thread to talk about the show.
Old 01-16-14, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Psych (USA) -- Season 8 Thread

The musical last month and the Despereaux episode were all-time lows in my opinion. The entire tone of the series seems to be way off kilter. After loving the series all this time, I'll probably make it through to the end, but I hope it rights itself.
Old 01-16-14, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The musical last month and the Despereaux episode were all-time lows in my opinion. The entire tone of the series seems to be way off kilter. After loving the series all this time, I'll probably make it through to the end, but I hope it rights itself.
I wouldn't go that far, but it's not off to a great start. The new police chief isn't funny at all. There's some good guest stars coming up, so I'm hoping for the best.
Old 01-16-14, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The musical was pretty bad, but I think we had a thread for that.

I thought the premiere was OK, but not great. As a Guy Richie parody it was pretty uneven. At times it lifted directly from the films, but then it just kind of abandoned it. I got the feeling from the musical that the creators were overreaching their talent/production ability and perhaps that's the case here as well. I liked the Gus Pottercon gags, except when it went a bit too far like the airport security scene.

This last episode was better, but still not back to form. The major problem was having Lassiter act so out of character. It wan't funny, it was boring. I like Anthony Micheal Hall as the new chief, even if he is haming it up. If he wasn't a guest star and the character were a permanent addition I might be a little more judgmental.

Also, are these being aired out of order? Because they didn't even hint at the shawn Juliet breakup or her knowing he's a fake.
Old 01-16-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I disagree about the Despereaux episode. Thought it was funny as hell and loved it. I wish the would make him a fulltime character.
Old 01-16-14, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, thought the Despereaux episode was really funny.
I can not recall...why was Lassiter delivering mail?
Old 01-16-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I hated the musical episode but loved the Despereaux episode.

Originally Posted by metman86
I agree, thought the Despereaux episode was really funny.
I can not recall...why was Lassiter delivering mail?
Lassie's been demoted from head detective. I guess the new captain up him as far down the ladder as possible.
Old 01-16-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought last night's episode was OK, but the Guy Ritchie episode was terrible. I mean, the writing itself was pretty bad (like someone said, it was like they got halfway through and forgot about the parody), but the sets were totally unconvincing. I have a hard time believing that they couldn't find a bit of British Columbia that looked a bit moire like England, and the Lord's house (or whatever his title) was totally North American, and (as nitpicky as this is), I was totally distracted that the power outlets were all North American style, not British style. I mean, this is the same show that used to ask its viewers to look for hidden pineapples, right?
Old 01-17-14, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lassie losing his nerve was a big step up. I thought Shawn trying to push his SEIZE life coaching was funny and more in character.
I've been enjoying AMH as the new insane chief, but I'm fine with him going soon,
Old 01-17-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally had a chance to see the musical episode, and it was just terrible. Typically love Psych, but that was a huge swing and a miss.
Old 01-23-14, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Very interesting concept with tonight's episode. They remade an episode from Season 1! I don't think any other show has gone and done that before, remaking one of their own episodes.

So I decided to pull out my season 1 DVD set and watch the original episode first. Unfortunately, we don't have a thread here for that particular episode.

Of course, it wouldn't be Psych without some kind of twist in all of this. So the remake episode is also a parody of remakes. First off, they recast several of the roles with more famous names (relatively speaking). Then they play off the rest of the series and throw in "call forwards" to the future of the series. Finally, they up the ante by making it all seem like it was made with a bigger budget.

Overall, the remake was lame and unnecessary, which was the point! They spent the whole episode referencing crappy remakes, while making one of their own.
Old 01-23-14, 08:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

If I had remembered the original episode this may have been more interesting, but since I didn't this just felt like a gimmicky dud.
Old 01-23-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm guessing the purpose of this season is to cram as many guest stars as possible. In this episode alone they had: Ray Wise, Ralph Macchio and Alan Ruck. All three have been on the show before playing different characters.

Outside of the black Cameron line, I thought the episode was mediocre at best. The original was definitely better.
Old 01-28-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, you guys are harsh. We just watched the Cloudy remake episode last night and absolutely loved it. Went back and rewatched the original from season 1 and it's amazing how far this show has come. Not sure how anyone can say the original from season 1 was better than the new one?? So much better humor, chemistry, and flow to the show now than back then - and I've loved it from the start.
Old 01-28-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoyed the episode, but I was initially hoping they were creating a "lost" episode from season 1. And, if so, that they'd have snuck Anne Dudek into it.
Old 02-05-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...seasons-677428

USA's 'Psych' to End After Eight Seasons

USA's 'Psych' to End After Eight Seasons

12:00 PM PST 2/5/2014 by Philiana Ng

It’s time to retire the pineapple.

USA Network is officially ending Psych, its long-running scripted comedy series after the current eighth season, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The series finale has been set for March 26 at 9 p.m. ET/PT. A special one-hour live show, Psych After Show, will follow at 10 p.m. ET/PT, featuring a Q&A discussion with series creator Steve Franks and the entire cast taped in front of a studio audience in Los Angeles. James Roday and Dule Hill also released a video announcing the final episodes. (Watch the video below.)

Since Psych’s summer debut in 2006, the hour-long comedy has become a reliable bet for USA – though it has been showing its age. The eighth season, which debuted Jan. 8, opened with 2.3 million viewers and a 0.8 rating among 18-49. The most recent episode dipped to 1.7 million viewers, very near a series low. Psych was last a considerable force in its fifth season when it regularly approached 4 million viewers.

“We've shot out season eight and if season eight is it, that's what it was meant to be. If it can live on in any other capacity, let's talk Broadway,” Franks told THR in December, calling the finale “one of my favorite episodes of the show.” He said of the closer: “It certainly has a degree of closure that will be satisfying.”

A fan favorite at Comic-Con, Psych reached its 100th-episode milestone last March, and last December, broadcast a two-hour movie musical, a long in-the-works passion project from Franks. Psych has been known for its bevy of pop-culture references and homages to classics like Clue, The Shining and Twin Peaks – and has a considerable online presence (the Emmy-nominated #HashTag Killer campaign). When the show ends, it would have aired more than 120 episodes, just a few shy of USA’s former longtime dramedy Monk.

During Psych’s latter years, castmembers have dabbled in work outside of Psych, most notably Maggie Lawson, who at one point was also juggling ABC comedy Back in the Game.

“Psych has made an indelible imprint on the television landscape, with a unique brand of comedy,” said Chris McCumber, president of USA Network. “The final season celebrates the iconic characters that have made this show so beloved, and will be an exclamation point on the series’ incredible run. And while the series will wrap in March somehow I don’t believe we’ve heard the last of Shawn and Gus.”

Jeff Wachtel, president and chief content officer of NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, "Psych is one of those rare projects that broke into the cultural mainstream. Its wild energy, fearless fun and engaging characters delivered an unrivaled series that will continue to be loved by fans for as long as there are ways to watch TV."

The news comes at an interesting time for USA as it sets its sights on comedy with the upcoming launch of Denis Leary’s Sirens in early March, continuing its reality push with Chrisley Knows Best and eyeing the next new scripted effort. With Psych wrapping up and Burn Notice and Necessary Roughness ending last year, USA has a handful of scripted shows on its slate: White Collar, which recently ended its fifth season and has yet to be renewed; Royal Pains; Covert Affairs; Suits; Graceland; the six-part miniseries Dig from Tim Kring; the aforementioned Sirens; Benched; and Playing House. USA also has five dramas in development.

Psych, co-starring Corbin Bernsen, Timothy Omundson and Kirsten Nelson, hails from Universal Cable Productions and Tagline Productions. Franks, Kelly Kulchak and Chris Henze are executive producers, with Mel Damski also director. Saladin K. Patterson, Andy Berman and Todd Harthan are co-executive producers, with Kell Cahoon consulting producer.
Old 02-05-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I figured we were nearing the end of the series. Eight seasons is a long time and hopefully it can go out with style - I haven't been too fond of the recent episodes.
Old 02-05-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The only bummer is that I wish the producers had known before making this season that'd it be the last, so they would've had the chance to end the show a bit more definitively than they likely managed with the current season-maybe-series finale.
Old 02-05-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Sad news... but (IMHO) this season has been beyond terrible.
Old 02-06-14, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This last episode - with Gus solving his doppleganger's murder - was pretty good, but the show has run its course. I'm cool with them ending it here.

There's a 60's-themed episode coming up...

...yes, I think I'll like this one.
Old 02-06-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Gus episode was the best of the season so far. The show has been shaky the last season, but it had a great run. I'm fine with seeing it end. Too bad they weren't made aware earlier so they could do a real finale. So much for a network showing loyalty.
Old 02-07-14, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Guys...

The decision to end the show was the producers and cast, they all wanted to go out on their own terms and a high note.

The show was not cancelled by USA and they did have time to create a proper finale.
Old 03-07-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, a couple of episodes, no comments. What are you guys thinking?

Personally, I'm ready for it to be done. The last couple of episodes were not that good, IMO.

Case of the week details aside, the way they are wrapping things up makes me feel better about shows that just get cancelled or rush out a single episode finale. This feels both rushed and dragged out at the same time.
Old 03-07-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Guys...

The decision to end the show was the producers and cast, they all wanted to go out on their own terms and a high note.

The show was not cancelled by USA and they did have time to create a proper finale.
Not true. From an interview the the show creater Steve Franks on 1/3/14:
http://www.channelguidemagblog.com/i...sych-season-8/
Any inklings on whether Psych Season 8 will be the final season?

Franks: We’ve had inklings it will be the final season since the second year [laughs]. We just go on as long as we can and wait for them to kick us out of the building.
The show was cancelled a month later on 2/5/14:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/showbi...sych-canceled/

The video announcement from James Roday and Dulé Hill mentioned "wanting to leave on a high note," but seems like after-the-fact justification. Also, when the producers of a show decide to end a show, the network will usually announce so at the beginning of that season, to drum up hype. Announcing halfway through the season rings more of "we didn't get renewed" instead of "we had this all planned."

Originally Posted by wmansir
So, a couple of episodes, no comments. What are you guys thinking?
I haven't seen yesterday's yet. The 60's flashback episode was good. I got more emotional over the scene where...
Spoiler:
Juliet says goodbye to Lassiter than when she leaves Shawn.

I do agree that I'm ready for it to be done. It had a good run, and while I didn't dislike any of the episodes from this season, it seems like they're running on fumes a bit. Plus, the remake episode made me realize I probably don't remember most of the earlier episodes by now, so I could rewatch them if I ever needed a Psych fix.
Old 03-13-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

This week's episode was not the funniest, but it was nice seeing Mira Sorvino as Lassie's new head detective. She looks great, and her character was cute.

Yvette Nicole Brown was good. She does "benevolent but menacing" very well.
Tom Arnold and the whole "alcoholic ghost friend" thing fell very flat, I thought.

Only two more episodes!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.