Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Morrissey Signs to Harvest Records, Releasing New Album This Year

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 12:45 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Morrissey will release the follow-up to 2009's Years of Refusal later this year. The new record will also mark his move to a new label, Harvest/Capitol, to which he's signed a worldwide contract. He was previously signed to Lost Highway/Universal.

The new signing technically now makes Morrissey labelmates with Death Grips—their imprint Thirdworlds was launched in a "unique partnership" with Harvest.

Morrissey will begin working on the new album this month in France. It will be produced by Joe Chiccarelli (the White Stripes, Beck, the Strokes), and recorded with his touring band, Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums), and Gustavo Manzur (keyboards).

Moz will also be touring in 2014, with dates to be announced soon.
Old 01-15-14, 04:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Morrissey Signs to Harvest Records, Releasing New Album This Year

I wonder how many of those tour dates will get canceled. Still looking forward to the new album, though.
Old 01-15-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

His last few albums have been a chore to get through. I'm not sure he has any great music left in him. His Autobiography on audiobook was a great listen though.
Old 03-21-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to the Boston show in May, if his health cooperates. Quite psyched for this one, as I haven't seen him since '97.
Old 03-21-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Apparently the new album is going to be called "World Peace Is None Of Your Business". Great title, very Morrissey-like.
Old 03-27-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking forward to it! When's the release date?
Old 06-05-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He cancelled the Atlanta show yesterday for health reasons, and I've got tickets for the Boston show on Saturday. That ponced-up bastard better make a quick recovery!
Old 06-08-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All right, he did indeed show for the Boston gig. He and the whole band really sounded excellent. Mostly stuff off the last couple albums and the new one, so I was a little disappointed we didn't get more of his earlier solo hits. I was pleasantly surprised that he opened with "The Queen is Dead"---sounded great, and I never thought I'd get to hear him sing that one live.
Old 06-09-14, 09:50 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I wonder if the new album will be sad.
Old 06-09-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I wonder if the new album will be sad.
With a song titles like this how could it be sad?

"World Peace Is None Of Your Business"
"Neal Cassady Drops Dead"
"I'm Not A Man"
"Earth Is The Loneliest Planet"
"The Bullfighter Dies"
"Smiler With A Knife:
"Kick The Bride Down The Aisle"
Old 06-10-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
All right, he did indeed show for the Boston gig. He and the whole band really sounded excellent. Mostly stuff off the last couple albums and the new one, so I was a little disappointed we didn't get more of his earlier solo hits. I was pleasantly surprised that he opened with "The Queen is Dead"---sounded great, and I never thought I'd get to hear him sing that one live.
Consider yourself lucky:

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...us-tour-again/

The guy just can't get a break. I have to admit that I haven't bothered buying tickets for his last few trips in Los Angeles as I've felt the dates would either be postponed or cancelled. As much as I love his music, his health has put him in an unfortunate position. Maybe he should reconsider that vegan stance and have some old fashioned chicken soup.
Old 06-10-14, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I saw that on FB. I did notice that he was coughing a bit and seemed a little out of breath between songs, so I'm inclined to think he really does have respiratory issues. But yes, he either should get his health in order, or maybe be less ambitious in scheduling tours. I read where he's cancelled the last FOUR scheduled shows in Atlanta just over the last few years.
Old 06-11-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Another year, another canceled Morrissey tour. I am a fan of his music, but he is predictable in doing this stuff again.

BTW, if you want to have a laugh, here's the old Mystery Science Theater 3000 bit making fun of Morrissey from about 20 years ago:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XQR78U6zvGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-14, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once read that Travis Barker (vegan) was advised to eat meat to recover faster from his airplane crash. How about a hamburger Morrissey? This constant show and tour canceling is getting ridiculous.
Old 07-07-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's the new one to stream either in full or track by track:

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/06/326925...ntent=20140707
Old 07-08-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
Maybe he should reconsider that vegan stance and have some old fashioned chicken soup.
According to his guitarist, Tony Visconti, he's on a steady diet of chips, pizza and booze!
Old 07-18-14, 10:20 AM

Really loving the album. Some of the best production he's ever had. Anyone looking to pick up the cd, Best Buy exclusively has the double disc with the six bonus tracks on sale this week for $16.99. I guess that means we won't get any further b-sides.
Old 07-19-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fallfan
Really loving the album. Some of the best production he's ever had. Anyone looking to pick up the cd, Best Buy exclusively has the double disc with the six bonus tracks on sale this week for $16.99. I guess that means we won't get any further b-sides.
Agreed. Despite this being is first recording in five years, he seems to have lost none of his sarcastic wit. I'm really enjoying the band as well. There seems to be much more varied musical styles than what he's done in the past. Now if only he can get his health together and give us a proper tour where he doesn't cancel and blame others for it .

Check out the recent interview with album producer Joe Chiccarelli. He gives some great insights on each track on how it all came together in the studio:http://radio.com/2014/07/15/morrisse...SHHZK0.twitter
Old 07-30-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he should at least be able to get a good song title out of this. Maybe "The Hitman Missed the Target," or "I've Called Off the Assassin, My Love."

Morrissey's Bodyguard Sues, Claims Morrissey Wanted Him to "Hurt" Fan Site Operator

Says he was fired for not wanting "to get rid of" man behind Morrissey-solo.com

By Zoe Camp on July 30, 2014 at 8:11 a.m. EDT

Morrissey's former bodyguard, Bradley Steyn, has filed a lawsuit against the singer, TMZ reports. Steyn claims that he was fired from his job for refusing a request to "hurt" the operator of the fan site Morrissey-solo.com.

According to TMZ, Moz thought the site "invaded his personal life" and asked Steyn if the fan behind it "could get hurt". The suit claims that Morrissey's tour manager asked if the fan "could be gotten rid of" and discussed how to get the man's address. Steyn refused to comply with the request, and was dismissed shortly thereafter.

Morrissey has yet to comment on the allegations.

The lawsuit marks the latest flare-up in the continued soap opera that constitutes Morrissey's year so far. Earlier this Spring, an over-eager fan slammed into the singer during his North American tour opener in at San Jose, California, forcing the band to cut their show short. He later scrapped all scheduled dates, blaming the cancellation on a respiratory infection he claimed had been given to him by opening act Kristeen Young (who later released a statement denying the charges, claiming she had allergies, rather than an infection).

http://pitchfork.com/news/56088-morr...site-operator/
Old 08-10-14, 01:58 PM

So, it seems Morrissey has been dropped from his label. http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_140809_01
Old 08-11-14, 08:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh Morrissey
Old 08-11-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Oh Morrissey
Can we get this thread retitled as an official Morrissey news thread. He is just full of win these days.
Old 08-11-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

So Morrissey thinks "Meat is Murder" but annoying fans with websites are fair game?
Old 08-15-14, 09:43 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Those of us who’ve covered Morrissey long enough have come to realize there’s always another twist to the story, even when it comes to something as pedestrian as him eating pasta sauce or catching a cold. So it should come as little surprise there’s conflicting details regarding Morrissey’s relationship with Harvest Records.

Last week, Morrissey posted a statement on True-To-You claiming the had been dropped by the record, “as directed by label boss Steve Barnett.” Many assumed the label’s decision had to do with Morrissey’s latest diatribe, in which he accused Harvest of failing to promote his new album, World Peace Is None of Your Business.

However, Harvest says otherwise. In fact, a representative for the record label has told Billboard that Morrissey remains under contract and owes the label another album.

Knowing Morrissey, we can probably expect another long-winded statement before the day’s out. Stay tuned.
Old 08-15-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
Those of us who’ve covered Morrissey long enough have come to realize there’s always another twist to the story, even when it comes to something as pedestrian as him eating pasta sauce or catching a cold. So it should come as little surprise there’s conflicting details regarding Morrissey’s relationship with Harvest Records.

Last week, Morrissey posted a statement on True-To-You claiming the had been dropped by the record, “as directed by label boss Steve Barnett.” Many assumed the label’s decision had to do with Morrissey’s latest diatribe, in which he accused Harvest of failing to promote his new album, World Peace Is None of Your Business.

However, Harvest says otherwise. In fact, a representative for the record label has told Billboard that Morrissey remains under contract and owes the label another album.

Knowing Morrissey, we can probably expect another long-winded statement before the day’s out. Stay tuned.
Source.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.