TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marco Polo (Netflix) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marco Polo (Netflix) -- Series Thread

From Coming Soon:

Netflix is also working on adding still more new shows to its slate. One coming up is Marco Polo, created by John Fusco (Hidalgo) and produced by The Weinstein Company. Among the directors already signed on are Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg (Kon-Tiki) and Dan Minahan (Game of Thrones).

Described as “a kinetic tale of high politics, masterful manipulation and deadly warfare among clashing empires,” Marco Polo follows the legendary explorer as he gets swept up in a war in 13th century China. The show will feature a “global” cast although no specific stars have been announced at this point.

Netflix is not the only one who’s recently shown interest in the iconic adventurer. Both Tarsem Singh and Francis Lawrence were linked to Marco Polo movies at various points over the past few years, although both projects seem to have fizzled since then.

Shooting on Netflix’s Marco Polo is expected to begin shortly at Pinewood Studios in Malaysia. The nine-episode season will premiere in late 2014.

After Orange is the New Black & House of Cards, I'll see anything they do.
Old 01-15-14, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Marco Polo - New Netflix original series

Crap, I was hoping for a serious drama revolving around the legendary closed-eye pool game.
Old 01-15-14, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was Marco Polo supposed to be on Starz? but was canceled before it ever air
Old 03-10-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Their Martial Arts Chroeographer was on Malaysia Airline Flight 370:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/marc...es-flight-307/
Old 03-10-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Their Martial Arts Chroeographer was on Malaysia Airline Flight 370:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/marc...es-flight-307/
WANTED: Assistant Martial Arts Choreographer for upcoming historical drama series. For more details, please contact [email protected]
Old 03-10-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Crap, I was hoping for a serious drama revolving around the legendary closed-eye pool game.
Reminds me of an incident this weekend, I was out shopping, and a guess it was a mother looking for her child, starts shouting out Marco... On instinct I blurt out "POLO"... lets just say the look of disgust I got from her made me want to leave the store immediately lol
Old 03-10-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds cool. This must require a substantially higher budget than their other original programming, so I'll be curious how this turns out and whether they can pull it off. Orange and House of Cards, along with their other original work, are still pretty small scale dramas. Will be interesting to see if they can really pull off a premium cable quality show with the grand set pieces and scope of shows like Rome, Deadwood, or GoT.
Old 03-10-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Martial art master on a hijacked plane... it's like a movie he woulda choreographed.
Old 03-10-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It is expertly portrayed in The Sopranos by Tony, Artie and Carmela.
Old 07-11-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ts-cast-694375

Cast has been set, series supposedly will air late in 2014 and will have 10 episodes.

Lorenzo Richelmy has been tapped to star as the famed explorer in the drama series based on the adventures of Marco Polo, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Benedict Wong (Prometheus), Zhu Zhu (Cloud Atlas), Tom Wu (Skyfall), Remy Hii (Treading Water) and Rick Yune (Olympus Has Fallen) round out the cast.

Fusco and Harvey Weinstein will executive produce the drama. Dan Minahan (Game of Thrones, True Blood) will also exec produce and direct two episodes. Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg (Kon-Tiki) will direct the first two episodes. Patrick Macmanus will co-exec produce, with Collin Creighton producing for TWC. Electus will also exec produce and is currently selling the series at MIPTV.

The 10-episode series will film in Italy, Kazakhstan and the new Pinewood Studios in Malaysia. Marco Polo will premiere in late 2014 on Netflix.
Old 07-12-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds cool. I'll definitely be checking it out when it drops.
Old 07-12-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Yeah. Sounds cool. A period of history not really done yet - at least on TV.
Old 12-12-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Bump

Debuts today on Netflix. All 10 episodes have been posted. This is reportedly a $90M production from the Weinsteins. I don't expect many here to go crazy binging this show like OITNB or HOC. I don't foresee this being must see right now for most of you.

Here's the trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hB-ltNasHVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not sure I have time to tackle this right away. But, I am interested in it. I love period dramas and I'm fascinated with this period in history.
Old 12-12-14, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't expect many here to go crazy binging this show like OITNB or HOC. I don't foresee this being must see right now for most of you.
Why's that? There is certainly nothing else on TV for the next few weeks. I'll probably start this tonight, thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-12-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

As of today, I'm supposed to be on vacation until the second week of January ... Won't binge it tonight, but I can guarantee I will binge soon!
Old 12-12-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched the first episode which was interesting. I might have missed a scene that confused me a bit on present time and past time. So far it isn't what I thought it would be but that isn't a bad things. Lots of boobs, lots of sex. A blind man does some stuff. I'll keep watching
Old 12-13-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched episode 2
I was confused on which side some people were on but now it is clear. I thought the consort was with the Mongols which didn't make sense.

Anyway this was much better than the first episode. I'm hooked on it.
Spoiler:
The naked fight scene was pretty cool. At first I thought it was a little over the top in objectifying women but she murdered those guys good.

Really like how Marco was kind of tricked into spilling the beans on a few people. I'm not sure there was anything he could do though. He might be dead if he lied.

The last few scenes with the brothers was great. Them talking about the old times just before battle was a nice touch.
Old 12-13-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Episode 4
Oh boy I think some viewers will run away.

Spoiler:
Kid torture is not cool. That was hard to watch. Hearing her little feet break.

Episode 5
The father and those guys

Spoiler:
Father Polo seems like a jerk. First he leaves his son and then he leaves stolen goods in his son's room.

Oh boy ninjas. Pretty good fight. I'm not sure if the mission to find the old man was worth it. Sure it makes sense to the story, I just think it could have been done better.
Old 12-13-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the first episode today.

Pros:
- The filming locations are spectacular
- Production values in are top tier, befitting the second most expensive show currently airing on TV/Netflix
- Storyline seems promising. I expect lots of intrigue, plotting, scheming, and boobs.

Cons:
- The actor who plays Marco Polo is bland oatmeal porridge. Probably a language barrier issue as his English seems shaky. I can't believe they couldn't find a good Italian or Italian-looking actor who could speak fluent English.
- Many of the Asian actors' accents are a bit difficult to deciper. I've heard some of them in real life and their English is excellent but they speak with "Asian" accents here.

This is basically Asian Game of Thrones, but HBO has nothing to worry about.
Old 12-14-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished the season.
Liked it a bunch. The main actor playing Marco is the weakest link in the show. I don't think he has much range as a actor. The good news is he doesn't dominate the show.

I think a few people will have a problem with the action scenes but I liked them. There is a little crouching tiger hidden dragon moves going on that might turn some people off.

I didn't like the very end. Two characters do something pretty dumb that could get them killed or the people they love killed.

Anyway I hope it gets another season. I don't think it will. The show looks like it cost a lot of money.
Old 12-15-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Had no idea about this, but saw it on the Netflix main page. It seemed to have a lot of reviews given the short amount of time that it's been out. I might check it out over Christmas, but I don't have a great desire to see it. The reviews had been lukewarm at best for the most part.
Old 12-15-14, 09:19 AM

I'm about halfway through. I'm enjoying it enough, but it's not a *great* show. The writing and acting are often kind of ham-handed and a lot of the story is pretty rote. I find most of the characters underdeveloped so far as well with very surface level motivations. The production design is good, but lacks the scope of something like GOT. Pretty much the entire show takes place in one city or a handful of palace chambers. I also find aspects of the show leaning a bit too far towards Orientalism, but I guess that is to be expected for a show of this subject matter targeted towards Western audiences. I also agree the actor who plays Marco is kind of insufferable.

So yeah, decent show, worth watching, but I guess I expected a story with a longer timespan and more scope.
Old 12-15-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I fell asleep before the end of the first ep.

It's trying to be too many things.

And Marco is boring.
Old 12-18-14, 09:59 AM

I finished this last night. The show definitely improved about half way through the season, but I still stand by many of my initial criticisms. I enjoyed the show, but with some better writing and acting it could have been much better.

One thing that surprised me was Jia Sidao's character, who ended up being one of the better developed and more interesting people towards the end. He was ruthless and largely loathesome, but I admit being slightly touched by his reaction after being hugged by the child Emperor. Of course he murdered his mother and was exploiting him for Sidao's own ends, but still. Great three dimensional villain and among the best performances on the show. Especially interesting because I felt Kublai remained, mostly, an enigma throughout the season despite being the main protagonist. This was one of the problems with the show, in my view, as the intrigue surrounding Kublai was not as interesting or fun to watch as what was happening among the Song.

Some great fight scenes in the end as well. I really hate the "blind swordsman" trope though. Really strained believably and didn't add anything to the monk's character since his blindness didn't seem to impede him in any way.

It ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, so I'm curious if they will keep going with this. I think based on the second half of the season I would definitely be in for a second.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 12-18-14 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-18-14, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

started watching this yesterday.

i'm on E08 now.

Really glad with Benedict Wong in this. He gained some weight for sure. 35lbs. Some of the look is also make up. Damn good work on him.

Marco Polo is kind of a cipher to which we can connect to other characters. I find him to be the most boring of them all. The non white characters get my attention much more.

Good show. Starts off ok and keeps getting better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.