TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Feet Under

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 04:07 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Six Feet Under

Two episodes away from finishing Breaking Bad

Six Feet Under is another critically acclaimed and beloved show which i have not seen even one episode of

What type of show is Six Feet Under ? and what shows is it most similar to ?
Old 01-12-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Six Feet Under

It's a drama. More than anything, it's like a realistic soap opera, though very well written and acted.
Old 01-12-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

It's what Alan Ball did after American Beauty so it has some of that vibe.

Personallly, I rewatched season 1 last year for the first time in a while, and I didn't quite like it as much as I did at the time. I think there's just been too much quality TV in the last few years. It has diminished Six Feet Under a little. That's just my opinion though.
Old 01-12-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Family drama centered around a funeral home. It probably sounds really uninteresting and depressing before you actually see it but it's fantastic. It can definitely be a downer series at times but overall is very much worth watching.
Old 01-12-14, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's one of the best tv series ever IMO. A great emotional ride that you won't forget. The characters are very complex and the story lines are well written. I think you'll enjoy the show.
Old 01-12-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Wonderful show. The ending devastated me, it made me depressed for days afterwards, making realize just how pointless life is. You spend all this time building relationships, experiences, and then you die. Everything is wasted in the end. Fuck me.
Old 01-12-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Great show with great actors
Old 01-12-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Wonderful show. The ending devastated me, it made me depressed for days afterwards, making realize just how pointless life is. You spend all this time building relationships, experiences, and then you die. Everything is wasted in the end. Fuck me.
It had the opposite effect on me. Live each day to it's fullest and spend quailty time with the ones you love for as long as you can.

Spoiler:
The ending is one of the only times I've gotten kind of emotional about a show. By the time that series was over I really cared about each of the characters and to see their fates was sad. Nate passing away a few episodes before the series finale was hard to take too.
Old 01-12-14, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
It had the opposite effect on me. Live each day to it's fullest and spend quailty time with the ones you love for as long as you can.

Spoiler:
The ending is one of the only times I've gotten kind of emotional about a show. By the time that series was over I really cared about each of the characters and to see their fates was sad. Nate passing away a few episodes before the series finale was hard to take too.
I agree with you completely.
Spoiler:
I actually was very emotional at the end.
No other show even the great ones: Breaking Bad, the Wire, The Sopranos, The Shield got to me like Six Feet Under did.
Old 01-12-14, 06:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
The ending devastated me, it made me depressed for days afterwards, making realize just how pointless life is. You spend all this time building relationships, experiences, and then you die. Everything is wasted in the end. Fuck me.
i think that is the exact opposite of what the Ball and showrunners were going for.
Old 01-13-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's a drama show. I really don't see the soap opera comparison, although I haven't seen a lot of, or any, soap operas.

It has a lot of black humor, the intros are always great. It's an adult show, not because it's sexual explicit but because of the themes. If you are old enough, maybe married and with children, you will really appreciate this show.

Although the show may not be at the same level as the classics: Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Wire, etc. The finale is probably the best ever. Yes, ever.

Got you? Now you have to go through five seasons to appreciate that finale
Old 01-13-14, 07:59 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I cried like a little girl at the series finale. Great show.
Old 01-13-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I only saw the first and second seasons, I thought it was a wonderful dark comedy/drama personally, but I find a lot of things funny
Old 01-13-14, 09:01 AM

I've been in the process of re-watching the series. Just finished up Season 4 last night. One of my all-time faves!
Old 01-13-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It has diminished Six Feet Under a little..
The opposite for me. Some good television, sure, but nothing compared to the quality of SFU. I don't hear about too many shows changing people's perspective on things (in this case life and death) so I think SFU has one-up on most television (and film) that has come out since.
Old 01-13-14, 10:46 AM

So just a warning. I initially passed on this show since the subject matter didn't sound interesting to me, but after the repeated postings and cries of 'best finale ever' on this board, I watched it 2 or so years ago. It is a really good show, although less so as the series progressed IMO. The finale was meh.

There, I said it.
Old 01-13-14, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Hence the classic example of setting your expectations way too high. I think the finale was one of those 'you had to be there' TV moments that will be lost on those binging their way through the show years later.

It really struck at the time because we had been watching the show for 5 years, not two weeks. And it was really unexpected. It's been so hyped and discussed in the 8 years since that's it's impossible for it to have the same impact on a new viewer.
Old 01-13-14, 11:47 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Loved it, but fast forwarded several characters after about 3 seasons..

Most Especially Lili Taylor's scenes- I hated her.
Old 01-13-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually marathoned the show. My wife was the first to watch it. And she really loved it. And the finale of course.

Then I, after reading here, and listen to my wife, watched the entire series in DVD with her. That was a long time ago. And yeah, I read about the finale, so I was "ready".

And I still cried like a little girl.

I recently read an article about the finale in Vulture and want to watch the show again. And of course I had to watch that final scene in YouTube again... And you know the rest.

Don't watch the YouTube video, it doesn't work if you don't watch the series first.
Old 01-13-14, 01:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Still the best series ever imo.
Old 01-13-14, 02:45 PM

It's an excellent but horrifically depressing show with the one of the best series finales ever. I could never, ever rewatch it, knowing what I would be facing, but I am so glad I watched it at least once.
Old 01-13-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Since no one's mentioned it, one of the show's main characters is gay and there is LOTS of male on male sex portrayed throughout the series. If having that put in your face is not your thing, then you may want to have the FF button at the ready.

There are some interesting characters and story lines portrayed on the show. A common theme is the frailty and all too brief time of human life. Given the subject matter and nature of the family's business, there is a lot of dark comedy and humor interwoven in the stories. If you have HBO, then check out some episodes on HBO GO
Old 01-14-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Since no one's mentioned it, one of the show's main characters is gay and there is LOTS of male on male sex portrayed throughout the series. If having that put in your face is not your thing, then you may want to have the FF button at the ready.
It's more like, there are a few sex scenes in the show, and a few of those few are male on male. And none of them are too graphical. The show is not about that.

I actually thought they made a good representation of a gay couple. This from a heterosexual, married with children, man.
Old 01-16-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If by "few" you mean almost every episode, then I agree. I do agree with you about how they portrayed David and Keith's relationship overall.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 01-16-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

One of my all-time favorite shows. I bought the series on DVD and plan on re-watching it soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.