Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Horror Story: Coven -- "The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks" -- 1/08/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Horror Story: Coven -- "The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks" -- 1/08/14

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Synopsis:

Chapter 10 / Production #310 - "The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks" (Airs January 8, 10:00pm e/p) - Fiona attempts to out the new Supreme with a visit from Stevie Nicks. Cordelia learns the truth about Hank and the Witch Hunters. Madison tries to eliminate her competition for the Supremacy. Written by James Wong; directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon.

Episode 10 of 13
Old 01-08-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Coven -- "The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks" -- 1/08/14

Love that graphic.
Old 01-09-14, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Coven -- "The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks" -- 1/08/14

Finally, an episode this season that had me wanting to watch the encore immediately.

Myrtle/Frances Conroy and the theremin
"What are your options when your mother is Hillary Clinton?" poor Delia.

The coven is as fractured as the opposition forces in the war over in Syria/Mideast. Only three eps left, I'm going to try to enjoy every bit of this temp(?) Fiona/Marie union while it lasts.
Old 01-09-14, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

If you did not know who Stevie Nicks was and she played a former rock star in a TV show you would think "my good couldn't they get someone even remotely believable for the role? ( and I love her music too)
Old 01-09-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I want a spin-off with Lance Reddick's Papa Legba.
Old 01-09-14, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skatefan20
Finally, an episode this season that had me wanting to watch the encore immediately.

Myrtle/Frances Conroy and the theremin
"What are your options when your mother is Hillary Clinton?" poor Delia.

The coven is as fractured as the opposition forces in the war over in Syria/Mideast. Only three eps left, I'm going to try to enjoy every bit of this temp(?) Fiona/Marie union while it lasts.
I sat right there and watched them back to back. That was a crazy & excellent hour of tv.

Makes me wish Fiona & Marie had been allies the whole time. They are so good together.

"Don't be a hater dear."
Old 01-09-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Loved the concept of having Stevie Nicks on the show.
Disliked the way it was handled - felt like a bad music video during that last segment.

Probably my least favorite ep of this season, fwiw.
Old 01-09-14, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

First episode of the series that I actually disliked. Nothing worth seeing here, move along.
Old 01-09-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's who that was! I spent most of the episode wondering if it was Mario Van Peebles, and how he had improved his accent work since Jaws: The Revenge.
Old 01-09-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Anyone know if this was planned from the outset (the Stevie Nicks appearance)?

It looked like Stevie watched the first couple episodes, called her agent and said she'd make an appearance. The writers then scrambled to come up with a way to shoehorn her into an episode. That's pure speculation on my part, no factual basis whatsoever, but it sure looked like that's what happened...
Old 01-09-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Pretty much.
Old 01-09-14, 11:36 AM

I have no idea whatsover as to who the new Supreme could be. The way folks are getting taken out, there is going to be no one left.
Old 01-09-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I'm confused on why the writers chose to name him Papa Legba when it was obvious that the character was modeled after Baron Samedi. Down to the face paint and dinner coat.

If I was the witch hunters, I would be sending the coven a thank you note as they seem to be doing their work for them all too well.
Old 01-09-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
First episode of the series that I actually disliked. Nothing worth seeing here, move along.
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in this one. This is usually appointment TV for me, but in this episode I found myself clock-watching. Hoping they did not lose too much momentum over the break. I remember season 1 really petered out by the end after a great start. (I actually loved season 2 all the way through).
Old 01-10-14, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I really enjoyed this episode but I'm tired of all the characters simply getting killed off as a way to end an arc... this isn't just Coven's method of handling characters, it's been consitent throughout the AHS seasons.

I'm disappointed in that Misty Day's character seems so underdeveloped too. Just when she was coming to the forefront, she gets shoved into a grave.

Also, I loved the Papa Legba character but like johnnysd mentioned, the Stevie Nicks thing was so forced and unnatural (I too am a big fan of hers).
Old 01-10-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by onebyone
I have no idea whatsover as to who the new Supreme could be. The way folks are getting taken out, there is going to be no one left.
I'm thinking it will end up being Cordelia..
Old 01-10-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I was the only one that felt the episode was barely ok.

The main problem is that the younger witches delivery has been getting worse. Or the writing for them hasn't been great. And they aren't great actors either.

I'm not sure if I will end up liking the season as a whole by the finale. There have been really great episodes, but the overall story looks like a mess right now.
Old 01-10-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
but the overall story looks like a mess right now.
Just like S2... too many sub-plots. I really thought this season would focus on Kathy Bates, the minotaur, witches vs voodoo... instead most everyone is dead and it's witch hunters vs witches (who are also battling themselves internally).
Old 01-10-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with witch hunters vs witches is that, right now, we don't have any reason to believe that the hunters have any chance. As soon as the witches were aware what was happening, the hunters were toast.
Old 01-11-14, 02:46 PM

I was really looking forward to this season's premise.

Agree that this feels piece-meal. They are off'ing characters to justify an end at an alarming rate.

If this keeps happening we should ask ourselves why we are even watching. Too cookie cutter at this point.
Old 01-11-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just ok for me as well - too much going on for any of the developments to have any real impact. The whole Stevie Nicks thing, when she was a spiritual mother to the season really worked, but seeing her in the flesh was about as subtle as a walk-on in an eighties sitcom. I fully expected a live studio audience to break into riotous applause when Stevie first appeared.
Old 01-11-14, 05:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I thought I was the only one that felt the episode was barely ok.

The main problem is that the younger witches delivery has been getting worse. Or the writing for them hasn't been great. And they aren't great actors either.

I'm not sure if I will end up liking the season as a whole by the finale. There have been really great episodes, but the overall story looks like a mess right now.
Agreed. For me, my interest started waning a couple episodes back. After a promising start to the season, the quality seems to have tapered off, IMO. Didn't particularly care for this episode.
Old 01-11-14, 07:27 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
I'm thinking it will end up being Cordelia..
I agree since she is the one that has been crapped on the entire show as being a bad witch and the only one they have not tried to make you think would be the supreme. I recognized Reddick instantly from his voice.