Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Counting Cars" and "American Restoration" new seasons - 1/7/14

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
"Counting Cars" and "American Restoration" new seasons - 1/7/14

Anyone tune in? Counting Cars definitely was different with the woman who wanted her prosthetic leg "tattooed" and the ghost hunter ambulance. That paint job was awesome.

AR has added some new cast. Kowboy continues to be a bigger douche than Roy from 'Shipping Wars' but without any redeeming features.

Last edited by Traxan; 01-08-14 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-08-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: "Counting Cars" and "American Restoration" new seasons - 1/7/14

Is CC still obviously staged? Wife and I watched from the start, but as the series wore on it felt more and more staged. I know "reality" shows are all staged in some way or another, but we now prefer Fast n Loud since they show more of the actual car stuff than CC.
Old 01-08-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody is a bigger douche than Roy.

Yeah, I've given up on CC. Kount rubs me the wrong way.
Old 01-08-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I haven't seen them doing the old gimmick of driving around and asking strangers to pull over for a while now.

Tom, watch an episode or two of Restoration and you will see it. Kowboy is just a detestable asshole.
Old 01-08-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I think the last AR I saw was the one where the son was promoted and Kowboy was the only one that was spewing off about it. A real Jagoff. I really liked AR until they tweaked the format to make it more about family. Still like the jobs and most of the crew but the wife and step kid storylines seem really forced.

I'll give Roy some credit, he's his own man and get's things done. Just wish he had some people skills but.........that all could be an act for the show.
Old 01-08-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

tried to watch counting cars but it's just way too scripted and fake, not surprising as it's a spin-off of Pawn Stars.

I like The Car Chasers on CNBC. No outrageous drama, no stupid characters. And the cars they buy and flip are reasonably priced, $25,000 and below.
We don't need another Wayne Carini!
Old 01-08-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ya know I just saw The Car Chasers the other day while surfing. Gonna give it a watch this weekend.
Old 01-09-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Yeah, I think the last AR I saw was the one where the son was promoted and Kowboy was the only one that was spewing off about it. A real Jagoff. I really liked AR until they tweaked the format to make it more about family. Still like the jobs and most of the crew but the wife and step kid storylines seem really forced.
Last night's episode featured some new employees because of increased work. First thing Kowboy does to the new guy? Glue his tools to a board, thus delaying his work. Maybe I'm buying into the fakery but i think he's the kind to do it.

There are dislikable characters but Kowboy takes the cake. I just don't like that asshole. I'd rather see more skits with Tyler and Ron than anything with him.
Old 01-09-14, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The revamped American Restoration sucks. I'm not sure why History decided it needed to change the format as it was pretty entertaining when it first started out. I like Counting Cars, sure it's obviously staged to an extent but really if you don't know that's going to happen watching a show like this I'm not sure what to tell you. Danny seems like a cool guy and his crew are mostly pretty entertaining to watch. Not to mention I like that they show quite a bit of the process of them re-doing the cars and whatnot. I just hope History doesn't do the same thing it did to American Restoration and eventually make the show 3/4th's about the crew just goofing off and barely showing any of the actual work being done on the cars.
Old 01-29-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just realized, Scott is missing from Counting Cars. He was the big guy who managed the shop and always harangued Danny about spending. No sign of him in the opening credits or the show. Now Kevin, the bald dude with arms like Hulk Hogan, has taken over the role of nagging Danny about the money he spends.
Old 01-29-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I just realized, Scott is missing from Counting Cars. He was the big guy who managed the shop and always harangued Danny about spending. No sign of him in the opening credits or the show. Now Kevin, the bald dude with arms like Hulk Hogan, has taken over the role of nagging Danny about the money he spends.
They said in the first episode this year that Scott had a kid and moved to Tennessee (?) with his family and that there was several changes for this season.
Old 01-29-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah ok.

Well he sure went out with a bang after that bike riding contest with Roli last season. That was a stupid, immature juvenile episode and I laughed myself silly.
Old 01-29-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
The revamped American Restoration sucks. I'm not sure why History decided it needed to change the format as it was pretty entertaining when it first started out.
They don't seem to show much restoration anymore, at least on the episodes I've seen.
Old 02-02-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What episodes are you watching? I just got done watching the 1/7 episode with the pegasus sign restoration and it was almost entirely devoted to restoring the sign. There was a little silliness with that new guy and we saw a completed project, but other than that this episode was almost all restoration.
Old 02-18-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw a repeat tonight where Danny worked on a 63 Imperial for Richard Harrison Sr., aka The Old Man. At the end, when Danny went to deliver it, he popped into The Old Man's office. I noticed an oxygen tank in the corner. Guess he needs some occasional help. In that desert I can believe it.
Old 02-18-14, 11:36 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The old man smokes but rarely on camera. On the season 1 DVD bonus features, I think I remember seeing him smoke. That's probably why he needs the oxygen tank.
Old 02-19-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And he's in his 70s. And Las Vegas is at 3000 feet above sea level. And a desert...

I don't know how all the elderly live there, I really don't.