TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Intelligence -- Series Premiere (Josh Holloway) -- "Pilot" -- 1/07/14

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Intelligence -- Series Premiere (Josh Holloway) -- "Pilot" -- 1/07/14

Synopsis:

JOSH HOLLOWAY, MEGHAN ORY AND MARG HELGENBERGER STAR IN A SPECIAL SERIES PREMIERE OF THE NEW ACTION THRILLER "INTELLIGENCE," TUESDAY, JAN. 7

Moves to its Regular Monday Time Period on Jan. 13 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT)

"Pilot" - Gabriel and Riley must rescue the kidnapped member of CyberCom who invented the chip implanted in Gabriel's brain before the top-secret technology falls into the wrong hands. Meanwhile, Gabriel takes advantage of his chip to search for his wife who disappeared years ago, on the special series premiere of INTELLIGENCE, Tuesday, Jan. 7 (9:00-10:01 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. It will move to its regular Monday (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) time period on Jan. 13.

INTELLIGENCE is an action thriller starring Josh Holloway as a high-tech intelligence operative enhanced with a super-computer microchip in his brain. With this implant, Gabriel is the first human ever to be connected directly into the global information grid and have complete access to Internet, WiFi, telephone and satellite data. He can hack into any data center and access key intel in the fight to protect the United States from its enemies. Leading the elite government cyber-security agency created to support him is Director Lillian Strand, a straightforward and efficient boss who oversees the unit's missions. Strand assigns Riley Neal, a Secret Service agent, to protect Gabriel from outside threats, as well as from his appetite for reckless, unpredictable behavior and disregard for protocol. Also on the team is Chris Jameson, a resourceful federal investigator. The brains behind the design of the chip is Dr. Shenendoah Cassidy, whose son, Nelson, is jealous of Gabriel's prominent place in his father's life. As the first supercomputer with a beating heart, Gabriel is the most valuable piece of technology the country has ever created and is the U.S.'s secret weapon.

SERIES REGULARS:

Josh Holloway (Gabriel)
Meghan Ory (Riley Neal)
John Billingsley (Dr. Shenendoah Cassidy)
PJ Byrne (Nelson Cassidy)
Michael Rady (Chris Jameson)
James Martinez (Gonzalo 'Gonzo' Rodriguez)
AND:
Marg Helgenberger (Lillian Strand)

GUEST CAST:

Elden Henson (Amos Pembroke)
Will Yun Lee (Jin Cong)
Rosalind Chao (Sheng-Li Wang)
Grace Huang (Mei Chen)
Jagua Arneja (Jeep Driver)
Michael Benyaer (Badri Adani)
Peter Bryant (DNI Carl Russell)
Simon Chin (Huang Fu)
Henry J. Mah (Anesthesiologist)
Mesha Toor (Female Officer)

TELEPLAY AND TELEVISION STORY BY: Michael Seitzman

DIRECTED BY: David Semel

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xjgObuY_EOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

**Want to make something clear off the bat. This is not a serial drama. It's an action procedural. **

This will move to Mondays at 10pm starting next week. I'm looking forward to this. I think it could be a fun action series.
Old 01-07-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Intelligence -- Series Premiere (Josh Holloway) -- "Pilot" -- 1/07/14

I wasn't going to check this out, but the promo I saw caught my attention. I'll check it out.
Old 01-07-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been waiting for this for a long time. So excited.
Old 01-07-14, 08:18 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I just don't what I want to do with this.... I can't record it due to conflicts... if the reviews on here are positive maybe I'll check it out on demand. I just don't see myself sticking with it, like other CBS shows I've tried. I'll watch the first few with interesting premises... they may have been good, but then get bored. Is this going to be 13 episodes?
Old 01-07-14, 08:21 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I really liked this show when it was called "Chuck".
Old 01-07-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I really liked this show when it was called "Chuck".
Yes, but Josh Holloway is a better actor than Zachary Levi (sorry CHUCK fans!).
Old 01-07-14, 09:17 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

You don't say...

Old 01-07-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The previews make this show look great, but they seem to be over-promoting it. Makes me nervous...
Old 01-07-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reviews are so far so bad that I'm betting the creators are really wishing they picked a title that was less easy to mock. It'd be like if Person of Interest named their show "Charisma" or Dads was called "Funny".

So far the best comments I read were:

Essentially “Chuck” without the Buy More zaniness, CBS’ underwhelming “Intelligence” follows Gabriel Vaughn, a government agent with a microchip in his brain that connects him to the Internet so he needn’t fiddle with a smartphone like the rest of us.
this feels like a show developed when computers were the size of a refrigerator
Gabriel's super powers are the thing meant to set the show apart, but the "Intelligence" writers frequently do a poor job of differentiating how he's any different from someone wearing Google Glass
I like the actors in it, so I'll probably record it and see how it does in a few episodes to see if I'll bother watching it.
Old 01-07-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
I just don't what I want to do with this.... I can't record it due to conflicts... if the reviews on here are positive maybe I'll check it out on demand. I just don't see myself sticking with it, like other CBS shows I've tried. I'll watch the first few with interesting premises... they may have been good, but then get bored. Is this going to be 13 episodes?
It re-airs Friday at 8pm before it settles in on Mondays at 10pm.
Old 01-07-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It re-airs Friday at 8pm before it settles in on Mondays at 10pm.
I'm recording it on Friday until I decide.
Old 01-07-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like Holloway is playing his MI-Ghost protocol character.
Old 01-07-14, 03:01 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I might check it out for Holloway. If he didn't star, I'd probably pass altogether.
Old 01-07-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I might check it out for Holloway. If he didn't star, I'd probably pass altogether.
This.
Old 01-07-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm checking it out for Halloway and the fact that it looks like a fun series. But being on CBS I can't see this show lasting and getting cancelled due to ratings not being high enough.
Old 01-07-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Who are the ones giving these reviews? To me they seem like nerds that like to bash with quirky, douchebag comments to get their reviews read. They rather an XBOX game be a show they can fap to.

Promotion just started not a few weeks ago even though I saw promos at SDCC back in July so not sure why some think it's being over promoted.
I will say Holloway's character seems a lot like Dorian from Almost Human. But that doesn't bother me since these are somewhat futuristic shows and something I would not discount in the near future.
Old 01-08-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I found it to be an utterly derivative, predictable pilot. I am only sticking around after the first episode due to the two leads, not because of the totally uninspired writing or action. Holloway will have to be dynamite for this series to stay on the air. The inane writing had so many holes, I don't know where to begin. I have a feeling the concept was heavily shaped by a clueless CBS exec, probably the same person that greenlighted Under The Dome.

It felt like CBS execs told some producer they needed a lite version of Person of Interest, but with a USA Networks twist.
Old 01-08-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Who are the ones giving these reviews? To me they seem like nerds that like to bash with quirky, douchebag comments to get their reviews read. They rather an XBOX game be a show they can fap to.

Promotion just started not a few weeks ago even though I saw promos at SDCC back in July so not sure why some think it's being over promoted.
I will say Holloway's character seems a lot like Dorian from Almost Human. But that doesn't bother me since these are somewhat futuristic shows and something I would not discount in the near future.
They've been promoting it for much longer than a few weeks. They showed a commercial for it during every episode of Survivor and that started back in September.
Old 01-08-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk God

I'd give this episode a C+

Honestly, this felt more like an episode 3 or 4 rather than a good introduction to all the characters, including Gabriel.

I would have liked to have seen some more background on Gabriel and why he was chosen to get this implant and maybe the actual process of him receiving it. Some of the computer graphics to illustrate Gabriel's ability were a little too over the top. I really have no clue why the hell this man is so special that he got the job of being this Super Spy/Agent. They did casually mention something about his presumed dead wife, who may be a traitor.

I have really no qualms with the actors. Marg is good as the boss and Holloway does have his charm. I do like Meghan Ory from her time on Once Upon a Time, plus it helps that she's very attractive. Some misfires here in the writing, so we'll see if they can work out the kinks. Chuck has a somewhat similar premise, but I think they did a better job setting up the tone of their series than this episode did. Some uninspired writing, but this has potential based on Holloway and what he does with the scripts. I think a lot of his snarky charm will be key to whether people resonate with his character. It's got an uphill battle facing The Blacklist and Castle.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-08-14 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-08-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I found it enjoyable. The sniper bit at the end was pretty cool. I liked the cast, but yeah, it's essentially Chuck without the humor and with a much higher budget.

I'll stick around for a bit.
Old 01-08-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I enjoyed it. It sorta remind me of Human Target (before Fox turned it to shit). But, honestly, it felt more like a game I wish I were playing instead of watching and that final shot was both predictable and cheesy.
Old 01-08-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The reviews mentioned above didn't do it justice. He clearly has more going on than a smartphone in his head. He can manipulate anything linked to the Internet or Bluetooth and has access to "unaccessable" databases.

I'll stick with it for a few more episodes.
Old 01-08-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/08/intelligence-ratings/

Over 16M viewers. Most watched new show of the season. However, the demo was just so so. 2.4 coming off NCIS's 2.9.

I don't think it will get anywhere close to 16M on Monday with it's competition.
Old 01-08-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I found it to be an utterly derivative, predictable pilot. I am only sticking around after the first episode due to the two leads, not because of the totally uninspired writing or action. Holloway will have to be dynamite for this series to stay on the air. The inane writing had so many holes, I don't know where to begin. I have a feeling the concept was heavily shaped by a clueless CBS exec, probably the same person that greenlighted Under The Dome.

It felt like CBS execs told some producer they needed a lite version of Person of Interest, but with a USA Networks twist.
I agree with everything except the "sticking around" part. That was the series finale for me.
Old 01-08-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed it. It sorta remind me of Human Target (before Fox turned it to shit). But, honestly, it felt more like a game I wish I were playing instead of watching and that final shot was both predictable and cheesy.
I was actually thinking that it reminded me of Human Target. Overall though I liked it. I thought it did exactly what a pilot was supposed to do which is set up the characters of the series and set up some threads for future episodes. Nice twist with someone you would assume is a series regular turning out to be a bad guy. Thought some of the action scenes were well done but again would have preferred it to be more like Human Target. Overall though I would give it a B- and I'm in for at least the next two episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.