Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If Scott Adkins could act a bit better, he would be one of the Top Action Stars

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 03:07 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

His low budget movies are generally ok plotwise but the action scenes are always great and he is a great screen fighter, much better than Stratham and all of the other action stars

Shame he is only an OK actor.
Old 01-04-14, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: If Scott Adkins could act a bit better, he would be one of the Top Action Stars

Most action oriented actors are ok actors. I'm seeing no issue here.
Old 01-04-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: If Scott Adkins could act a bit better, he would be one of the Top Action Stars

His acting is fine, he just needs that one break out movie a wider audience sees.
Old 01-04-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Most action oriented actors are ok actors. I'm seeing no issue here.
Arnold is one of the biggest action stars of all-time and his acting is less than okay. But screen presence and charisma goes a long way.
Old 01-04-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Arnold is one of the biggest action stars of all-time and his acting is less than okay. But screen presence and charisma goes a long way.
And despite Adkins always coming across as a badass (even as the fight double of the butchered Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine), I don't recall him ever doing a movie where he comes across with genuine charisma. I really like the guy but the roles he picks tend to be one note.

That said, I'd love for him to go to Hong Kong and do a few movies with Donnie Yen.
Old 01-04-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Roles in martial arts movies tend to be pretty one note to be honest. It's usually country boy shtick or "you killed my master!" stuff.
Old 01-04-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Roles in martial arts movies tend to be pretty one note to be honest. It's usually country boy shtick or "you killed my master!" stuff.
He just needs his own Roadhouse.
Old 01-04-14, 09:27 AM
Banned

That'd be awesome if he got with Yen. I think he could do well under Yen's experience.

I think the shows off badass well but his roles aren't ones that skew toward charasmatic. Great action guy though. He just needs better and more wide exposure in films. Unfortunately he wasn't all that well used in a film like EX2.
Old 01-04-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would love for Donnie Yen, Cyril Raffaelli, and Scott Adkins to star in an off-kilter Luc Besson production akin to Banlieue 13.
Old 01-04-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Adkins had a non-action speaking part in Zero Dark Thirty.
Old 01-04-14, 09:56 AM
Banned

i thought he held up well in there. Why was he in there? Weird casting for Adkins.
Old 01-04-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why was he in there? Weird casting for Adkins.
Beef up the resume, I guess.
Old 01-04-14, 10:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I firmly believe he's the next Jeff Speakman. That's about as big as it'll get for him, which if fine since I don't think he's in the same class as someone like say Donnie Yen.
Old 01-04-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I firmly believe he's the next Jeff Speakman. That's about as big as it'll get for him, which if fine since I don't think he's in the same class as someone like say Donnie Yen.
I wouldn't say Speakman, because Adkins has already been involved in high profile gigs longer than Speakman was in Hollywood as a whole. Speakman only had two major theatrical releases and those were: The Perfect Weapon and Street Knight. Adkins also does tons of double/stuntwork for major flicks.
Old 01-04-14, 11:18 AM
Banned

I've never heard of Speakman.

I think he's probably one of the best martial artist white guys around. I say put him in Fast 8 and see how the public wises up to him.

Saying that how...popular are white guy martial artists now? Statham is popular but he's not Adkins awesome in his martial arts.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-04-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-04-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never heard of Speakman.

I think he's probably one of the best martial artist white guys around. I say put him in Fast 8 and see how the public wises up to him.
Best Kenpo Karate guy around. If you can find it - rent The Perfect Weapon.
Old 01-04-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think Scott Adkins problem is that he "can't act better" I think his problem is that the movie market has changed a lot. Like I said in the Ninja 2 thread, if this was 1994 he would be a huge star.

But today, the movies that made people like Van Damme, Segal, and Norris famous have vanished. With the exception of the occasional movie that Luc Beeson makes, those type of movies don't get major theatrical releases anymore for people to find them. Even Jason Statham hasn't had a real hit movie since the Transporter 3.

Like someone else said put Adkins in Furious 8 and see what type of mainstream appeal that gets him.
Old 01-04-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by robin2099
Even Jason Statham hasn't had a real hit movie since the Transporter 3.
Which is a shame since that movie was a steaming pile of shit.
Old 01-04-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I think Adkins would make a fantastic Daredevil for Marvel.
Old 01-04-14, 12:28 PM
Banned

I never really liked Transporter 1. Always thought it was boring but I like the character and his look. Did like him busting through that door. But I was bored as hell.
Old 01-04-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Transporter 1 is my favorite of the 3. I lost interest when they made him a fucking super hero in part 2. Part 3 had some lousy camera work and hated the way they showcased the fights.
Old 01-04-14, 01:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Who?
Old 01-04-14, 02:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Doe B of course.
Old 01-04-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Transporter 1 is my favorite of the 3. I lost interest when they made him a fucking super hero in part 2. Part 3 had some lousy camera work and hated the way they showcased the fights.
I enjoy the first 2, even the over-the-top antics of the second, but absolutely loathed the third. It didn't help that he was babysitting some fugly girl who liked peeing on farmacy (or wherever they were) floors.
Old 01-04-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the same thing about Loren Avedon back in the day. Don't get your hopes up, OP.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.