Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the most important factors in helping you decide to watch a new series?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What are the most important factors for you in deciding to watch a new series?
Time - Do I have time in my schedule to add it?
38.30%
The trailer or Promos
27.66%
The Network that it's on
19.15%
Episode count
4.26%
Actors/Actresses starring in it
38.30%
The creative team - Showrunner, writers, Producers
38.30%
Critics reviews
19.15%
Internet comments - Message boards, Facebook etc.
34.04%
Being on broadcast vs. cable
6.38%
Extra cost for adding the channel to be able to watch it
6.38%
Other - State your reason
17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

What are the most important factors in helping you decide to watch a new series?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The question is in the thread title.

I'll let this poll be multiple answers. I know alot of new dramas and comedies don't get watched in this forum, so I was kind of curious to see what you guys factor in for deciding to watch it or not?

Last edited by DJariya; 12-31-13 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: What are the most important factors in helping you decide to watch a new series?

Here's some initial feedback.

Why do you try a show for the first time?
Old 12-31-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: What are the most important factors in helping you decide to watch a new series?

Man, you love TV.
Old 12-31-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Wow ... When I started weighing the choices found out the things I thought mattered really didn't. It turns out "Time" was my number one followed by the trailers or promos.

Actors, show runners, networks ... None of that mattered that much to me. If it looks good I will try to watch it. Time is the biggest factor for me, so it has to look really interesting for me to latch on at the beginning. Otherwise I will wait for two or three seasons and catch up on video or Netflix.
Old 12-31-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by davidh777
Here's some initial feedback.

Why do you try a show for the first time?
I forgot you did that thread. Although, I think I added a little more meat to the poll.
Old 12-31-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by auto
Man, you love TV.
I've worked in TV production since I graduated from college. I work at FOX Sports and NFL Network you know. It's in my nature, and yes I love TV whether it's scripted or sports.

This forum would be a ghost town without me.
Old 12-31-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'd post my thoughts but Djariya's head is in the way. :P
Old 12-31-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'd post my thoughts but Djariya's head is in the way. :P
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 12-31-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I forgot you did that thread. Although, I think I added a little more meat to the poll.
Yes, you have more choices, including network, which a number of people mentioned.
Old 12-31-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was torn between "internet comments" and "critics reviews". Two of the last three shows I binge-watched--Arrow and Orphan Black--we're only on my radar due to the praise in this forum. The third--The Good Wife--was result of just hearing so many good things about it in the press. So opted for "internet comments".
Old 12-31-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Time. With 2 little kids, I'm already barely able to keep up with the 5-6 shows I watch regularly. This entire current season of Modern Family so far is still on the DVR.
Old 12-31-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will probably never watch a show that's more than 5 seasons.

Most new shows I watch them based on the trailer.

Netflix, Hulu, OnDemand availability is a plus if its more than 2 seasons.
Old 12-31-13, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I chose critics/internet comments. I rarely watch new programming but if there's a buzz about it, I'll likely check it out at some point.
Old 01-01-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Nothing malicious, just a silly jab based on this comment:

Serious answer?

1. A kick ass trailer
2. Time - a lot of 'my' shows have ended the past 2-3 years so I've been trying out more than usual
3. Star power - I didn't think this mattered to me, but the trailer for Intelligence combined with Josh Holloway and Marg Helgenberger got me to set the DVR. Same for Tricia Helfer and Killer Women.
Old 01-01-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've worked in TV production since I graduated from college. I work at FOX Sports and NFL Network you know. It's in my nature, and yes I love TV whether it's scripted or sports.

I sure do appreciate you my friend. You bring A LOT to this forum.
Old 01-01-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

TV schedule is a factor

I mostly give all serial dramas a chance. Rarely bother with procedural dramas.

I am terrible at choosing great comedies. I usually join the bandwagon when they hit syndication.
Old 01-01-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Most important is the premise, not on the list.

Next most important factor is the network - mainly cable vs. OTA since cablenets generally deliver better series and offer many re-airs making them easier to record.
Old 01-01-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Creative talent and cast are the most important factors for me. I also trust certain networks much more than others in identifying the right mix for a hit show.
Old 01-01-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Most important is the premise, not on the list.
I completely agree. I can't believe the premise/basic plot isn't an option. It should be the #1 reason why anyone watches any show.
Old 01-01-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, as I've gotten older and more integrated into social media the main driver for me is actually the writing team and showrunners. Talent has just become increasingly irrelevant for me.
Old 01-01-14, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Agreed on premise. In addition, I'll throw in network, creative team and message boards/social media. Over the years there have probably been several shows I chose to try out based on this forum's comments.
Old 01-02-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only watch tv shows with a season/series of 6 episodes or less.
Old 01-02-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My main factor is how it's being received by the general public. So pretty much this message board along with my friends. Most recently I watched and enjoyed Orphan Black and Arrow, mainly because of how they were received by the DVDtalkers.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I completely agree. I can't believe the premise/basic plot isn't an option. It should be the #1 reason why anyone watches any show.
That's obviously an important factor but not always. For example, someone recommended to me that I watch Psych. I enjoyed it a lot. Meanwhile, I've watched the Mentalist, almost the exact same concept but I barely made it through an episode.

Also, there are shows where the basic plot doesn't sound interesting to me but the show ends up being great. Six Feet Under and Mad Men fall into that category for me.
Old 01-02-14, 11:19 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Probably some combination of time, number of episodes, reviews, and comments. I really only have time to watch one show at a time. I try to watch about an hour of TV, two to three nights a week. So, my ideal show is one that has very few episodes, maybe six to twelve a season, and no more than three of four seasons. This (hypothetical) show would have good reviews and be liked by people here whose opinions I take into account.

ETA - something that I might start taking into account is whether or not the show is/was aired on a network that has commercial breaks. I'm about halfway through the first series of Broadchurch, and, while I really like the show generally, the 'rhythm' of pacing a show so there's some reveal or dramatic moment right before a commercial break is starting to annoy me. The last couple of shows I watched were Borgen and Forbrydelsen, and I don't think either had that issue, so it's startling to see it now.

Last edited by wendersfan; 01-02-14 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say Network, Show runner, Trailers, and who is in it. Plus type of show. Good topic Djaryia!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.