Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

So, no tablet streaming?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, no tablet streaming?

Catching up on Arrow and my PVR failed to record on episode for whatever reason and I decided to stream via tablet. The CW app worked pretty well. I liked it more than expected.

I also grabbed CBS and FOX. It appears ABC and NBC are "not compatible" with my device, exactly why they don't/won't say.

I bet HULU free would look great on a tablet. Shame there is no app. And speaking of no app where the hell is Amazon with an android app to stream movies and TV? Seriously. I know they want everyone to buy a Fire but it isn't going to happen. Are they lying when they claim they only break even selling their hardware and hope to make money on content? If that is true why are they pissing on a huge audience of android owners already in place and ready to buy? Am I the only one who thinks Amazon shot themselves in the foot on this? If I could stream to my tablet it would tip the balance in favor of buying prime.
Old 12-30-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: So, no tablet streaming?

Originally Posted by Easy
Catching up on Arrow and my PVR failed to record on episode for whatever reason and I decided to stream via tablet. The CW app worked pretty well. I liked it more than expected.

I also grabbed CBS and FOX. It appears ABC and NBC are "not compatible" with my device, exactly why they don't/won't say.

I bet HULU free would look great on a tablet. Shame there is no app. And speaking of no app where the hell is Amazon with an android app to stream movies and TV? Seriously. I know they want everyone to buy a Fire but it isn't going to happen. Are they lying when they claim they only break even selling their hardware and hope to make money on content? If that is true why are they pissing on a huge audience of android owners already in place and ready to buy? Am I the only one who thinks Amazon shot themselves in the foot on this? If I could stream to my tablet it would tip the balance in favor of buying prime.
1) Hulu looks great on Tablets, obviously the Free version is Laptop/Desktop only, but Hulu itself does look awesome.
2) What device are you using? I Don't have the FOX, ABC or NBC apps since I use Hulu, but I'm curious what their requirements are.
3) Amazon will eventually budge and do Amazon Instant on all Android tablets, it'll just be a little while. Once they really get their original content going it'll be there.
4) Just suck it up and subscribe to Hulu Plus. Sure, you only get the last 5 episodes of shows like Arrow (all episodes of current seasons on numerous other shows, as well as past seasons on a lot of them) but it's all in one spot, the quality is great, and you don't have to worry about device compatibility.

$0.02, spend wisely I guess.

I personally have accounts with Amazon Instant (Prime), Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBO Go (borrowed) and have no complaints, plus three work great with my Chromecast, and the other is trying to be like Apple.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-30-13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: So, no tablet streaming?

Originally Posted by RichC2
1)
2) What device are you using? I Don't have the FOX, ABC or NBC apps since I use Hulu, but I'm curious what their requirements are.
I have a Hisense Sero 7 Pro. It got great ratings. Same specs as the Nexus 7 (the older one) plus Micro SD and HDMI out. I bought it as a lifesaving measure when I went to visit my Dad this past fall. I felt that if I had to watch one more stock car race, wrestling match or country music festival, I might lose the will to live. Anyway, I loaded up an Micro SD with movies and I was good to go. Just that use made it worth the price of admission. I have no idea why ABC or NBC are not compatible. That is one thing that bugs me about android, they never seem to list the required specs to run an app.

4) Just suck it up and subscribe to Hulu Plus. Sure, you only get the last 5 episodes of shows like Arrow (all episodes of current seasons on numerous other shows, as well as past seasons on a lot of them) but it's all in one spot, the quality is great, and you don't have to worry about device compatibility.
Nah. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS and a couple indie channels OTA in HD. Now and then I have a recording blip and resort to streaming to plug the gap but mostly it works just fine. It would be nice if all the networks had android apps I could use but If they don't I'll just resort to the desktop. I'm not sure just what HULU + adds, but I'll check out the free trial sometime when I don't have so much in the watch cue.

I have had a few "free trials" of prime. I seem to get one every other year. This is the first year I have been inclined to keep it because it finally had something worthwhile to stream I didn't already own on disc. I let it lapse only because I want it to extend completely through the holidays next year. I think I'm going to try it for a year. Like I said though, if Amazon had an android streaming app it would be a much easier decision.

Last edited by Easy; 12-30-13 at 01:28 PM.