Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

ClubHoopla.com -- $5 Books and Some Potential Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
ClubHoopla.com -- $5 Books and Some Potential Bargains

A tip of the cap to bigjim25 who posted about this new site in the DVD Clubs section of the forum.

A note about the site:

This site is brought to you by Bookspan and Columbia House, which operate more than 20 of the most well-known book and DVD clubs in the U.S., including Book-of-the-Month, Doubleday Book Club, Columbia House DVD Club, History Book Club and Mystery Guild, to name a few.
They offer all of their DVD/BD titles at $7 and all of their books at $5. There is a 20% off code if you spend over $50 (BIGSAVINGS) and free shipping if you order 2 or more items.

Anyway, for you Book Forum dwellers, there appears to be some deals to be had. I ordered the following:

The Science Fiction Universe and Beyond
Star Trek Vault
The Annotated Brothers Grimm
Spider-man Chronicle
Star Wars: The Complete Vader
Harry Potter Page to Screen
DC Comics Year by Year
A couple of study Bibles

All of these sell for $25 or more on Amazon. Perhaps you'll find other things of interest.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 12-27-13 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 02:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: ClubHoopla.com -- $5 Books and Some Potential Bargains

Nice bargain!

Old 12-27-13, 11:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Some books and DVDs that I can't resist in there, even though I really don't have the space.
Old 12-28-13, 04:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
A tip of the cap to bigjim25 who posted about this new site in the DVD Clubs section of the forum.

A note about the site:

They offer all of their DVD/BD titles at $7 and all of their books at $5. There is a 20% off code if you spend over $50 (BIGSAVINGS) and free shipping if you order 2 or more items.

Anyway, for you Book Forum dwellers, there appears to be some deals to be had. I ordered the following:

The Science Fiction Universe and Beyond
Star Trek Vault
The Annotated Brothers Grimm
Spider-man Chronicle
Star Wars: The Complete Vader
Harry Potter Page to Screen
DC Comics Year by Year
A couple of study Bibles

All of these sell for $25 or more on Amazon. Perhaps you'll find other things of interest.
Incredible. Thanks!
Old 12-31-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump to add that my order was received today just a few days after placing it. It came in a huge, heavy box that cost $24+ to ship.

A couple of the books were banged up slightly during shipping, but there's absolutely no way I can complain considering the magnitude of this deal. I'm tempted to place another order of many of the same items since these would make great gifts, yet I want to enjoy them myself.
Old 12-31-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

There are some Blu-ray deals, including the Hannibal Lector Collection and the older James Bonds mini-sets. This deal has been known on Blu-ray.com for a few days and they've gone over it fairly well.
Old 01-10-14, 02:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Bump to add that my order was received today just a few days after placing it. It came in a huge, heavy box that cost $24+ to ship.

A couple of the books were banged up slightly during shipping, but there's absolutely no way I can complain considering the magnitude of this deal. I'm tempted to place another order of many of the same items since these would make great gifts, yet I want to enjoy them myself.
What shipping method did they use? USPS Media Mail? UPS Ground? I got my shipping notification on 12/31 but haven't received anything yet.
Old 01-10-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kodave
What shipping method did they use? USPS Media Mail? UPS Ground? I got my shipping notification on 12/31 but haven't received anything yet.
Fairly certain it was USPS media mail.
Old 01-12-14, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Cardsfan I find it interesting that the books were banged up a little bit but it was ok because it was such a great deal. I personally don't think a lower price on a new product justifies any damage. If it was just a book I wanted to read and stow I probably wouldn't do anything but it would bug me because I'm a bit OCD
Old 01-12-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand how you feel. I might have been more concerned and inquired about a replacement if the books I ordered were gifts for others. And somehow the low price affects my thinking. If I had paid $25-30 retail for these as opposed to $4, my expectations about their shipping and the condition of the books would have been higher. However, the blemishes were minor in my eyes and haven't kept me from enjoying the books.
Old 01-21-14, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took over 3 weeks to get it, but my HP: Page to Screen finally showed up (in a box, no less!). I didn't realize it was such a humgous book. I went back to the website and it looks like they raised prices. The $5 book is now $19. Still a pretty good deal, but beware the price increases.