Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Draft Day (2014, Ivan Reitman) S: Costner, Leary, Garner

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 01:34 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

On the day of the NFL Draft, general manager Sonny Weaver (Kevin Costner) has the opportunity to save football in Cleveland when he trades for the number one pick. He must quickly decide what he's willing to sacrifice in pursuit of perfection as the lines between his personal and professional life become blurred on a life-changing day for a few hundred young men with dreams of playing in the NFL. Also featuring Jennifer Garner and NFL & ESPN on-air talent Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock, Deion Sanders, Rich Eisen, Mel Kiper and Chris Berman.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xBmatvqy6Dg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 12-24-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Draft Day (2014, Reitman) S: Costner, Leary, Garner

I'm not sure about that plot but I'll check it out just for Costner. I usually end up really enjoying his sports movies.

Ivan Reitman directing has me nervous though. I can't remember the last decent film he made.
Old 12-24-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Why are they releasing this in April as opposed to right before football season? I am guessing to coincide with the actual NFL draft.
Old 12-25-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Unfortunately for them, the draft for 2014 has been pushed back a month to mid May.
Old 12-25-13, 11:52 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this the sequel to Training Day?
Old 12-26-13, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

It's a fictional movie with an NFL license. Those are rare things. NFL.com last year came out with a bracket of 64 football movies and I think only 6 or 7 had an NFL license (Jerry Maguire, Heaven Can Wait, Brian's Song). I was shocked at how few referenced real NFL teams. The NFL is the Led Zeppelin of sports organizations when it comes to movie usage.
Old 12-26-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Looks alright. NFL movies are good in small doses.

I would have been more excited if it was Jason Reitman's new movie.
Old 12-26-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I love sports, but am not a fan of sports movies generally. This actually looks pretty good. I may check this out.
Old 12-26-13, 10:20 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Garner looks decent in this. But Costner + Langella + Leary + football = MUST SEE.
Old 12-26-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It's a fictional movie with an NFL license. Those are rare things. NFL.com last year came out with a bracket of 64 football movies and I think only 6 or 7 had an NFL license (Jerry Maguire, Heaven Can Wait, Brian's Song). I was shocked at how few referenced real NFL teams. The NFL is the Led Zeppelin of sports organizations when it comes to movie usage.
I was surprised that Big Fan got the license, given what must have been a tiny budget and that it doesn't portray fans in the most positive light.
Old 12-26-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a very casual NFL fan, but I'm liking that cast, and while I doubt it'll even come close to Moneyball, I think I will check this out.
Old 04-11-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. I have to say, I was majorly surprised at how much I liked it. I'm a football fan, but don't like movies that make it into a joke or after thought. This is full of strong dialogue and moves at a great pace. I didn't even know watching that it was directed by Ivan Reitman. When I saw his name at the end I was surprised again , as it has been a VERY long time since he has delivered anything of this quality.

FWIW, my screening was full of senior citizens who typically don't clap or applaud for movies, but they did for this one.
Old 04-11-14, 07:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like Moneyball made fictional.
Old 04-13-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Draft Day" is somewhat a fairy tale told with the backdrop of the story being the NFL's draft day with a running time that's probably a little too short to rightfully invest in the main characters, starting with Sonny Weaver Jr. (Kevin Costner) on the day of the 2014 NFL draft, as he's the general manager of the Cleveland Browns. In his position Sonny's in charge of making deals and drafting new talent with the draft pick positions at hand, and a lot of wheeling-and-dealing amongst other general managers around the league.

The other main subplot deals with Sonny's romantic life, where he's been seeing, on the sly, Allie (Jennifer Garner), who handles the team's salary cap/legal department with it comes to payroll for the team. I think had the relationship had more screen time to grow organically, it might have paid off a little better at the end, along with Sonny's other family issues.

The fairy tale aspect, for me, is how the actual draft unfolds, borders on entertainingly ridiculous, but still fun if you're rooting for Sonny to get stuff done and not get fired by the end of draft day.

What struck me funny was that unlikely pairing, on-screen, of Pa Kent from "Man of Steel" (Costner), and Clark Kent from "Smallville" (Tom Welling) in the film, as Welling plays the team's veteran quarterback whose position is threatened when it seems like Sonny has the draft pick to select a "can't-miss" quarterback in the draft. Anyhow, like I said, it was an odd moment if you follow the Superman films and TV show.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.
Old 04-16-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I just saw this today, and I thought it was really good. The script is solid with a good plot and some engaging characters, while the direction and editing gives the movie perfect pacing. And the actors all do a fine job.

Very enjoyable - 4/5.
Old 04-16-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm waiting for Costner to realize he's not a box office draw anymore (no fault of his own...he's been turning in some solid performances) and do a TV series. Maybe HBO will bring him on for a season of TRUE DETECTIVE.

He was really good in JACK RYAN this year as well, if you haven't seen it (and given the box office, many of you didn't).
Old 04-16-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
What struck me funny was that unlikely pairing, on-screen, of Pa Kent from "Man of Steel" (Costner), and Clark Kent from "Smallville" (Tom Welling) in the film, as Welling plays the team's veteran quarterback whose position is
at the thought of Cleveland ever having a veteran QB. In real life, both Costner and the QB along with the coach and much of the team would have been fired and traded mid-season.
Old 04-16-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
at the thought of Cleveland ever having a veteran QB. In real life, both Costner and the QB along with the coach and much of the team would have been fired and traded mid-season.
Well, Brandon Weeden was a veteran - in a sense.
Old 04-17-14, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

at Cleveland actually landing a pick that is a difference maker. So is this movie a fairy tale?
Old 04-17-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
is this the sequel to Training Day?
It would have to be a prequel.
Old 04-17-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
at Cleveland actually landing a pick that is a difference maker. So is this movie a fairy tale?
What I mentioned above is not even the tip of the iceberg. There is a chance by this time next year, the team will be under new ownership (again) due to the Pilot scandal. And rumor is spreading around they plan on drafting two QB's in the upcoming draft. The Brown's put the dis in function.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 04-17-14 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I rented the blu-ray for this tonight and I really liked it.

Probably one of the smartest and non clichéd sports movies that I have seen in a long time. Sharp dialogue, smart characters and great editing. The editing was really creative. I really enjoyed seeing a different side of the NFL with the dealings and behind the scenes antics before and during the draft. Thought Costner was solid and was very believable playing the GM and I liked the supporting cast as well. However, I think the relationship between him and Jen Garner in the movie was a little underdeveloped. But that's a minor quibble.

Also, if you do buy or rent the blu-ray, watch the 1 hour behind the scenes documentary on the making of this film. Very informative. Not your typical fluff piece. They managed to get a lot of cooperation from the NFL to make this movie happen. They also go into the editing as well. This movie was shot concurrently during the 2013 NFL draft and had to be filmed during off time, which I found really interesting. In addition I didn't even recognize Arian Foster from the Houston Texans as one of the main characters. He shaved his beard and looked really young. Chadwick Boseman from 42 and Get on Up also has a pretty significant supporting role.

I'd give this a solid B+.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-25-14 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-25-14, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ending is pure hokey. could never happen.
Old 08-25-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I rented the blu-ray for this tonight and I really liked it.
Where did you rent the Blu-ray? It doesn't street until September 2nd, and isn't available to rent digitally until August 29.
Old 08-25-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Where did you rent the Blu-ray? It doesn't street until September 2nd, and isn't available to rent digitally until August 29.
Video stores still exist in Southern California. My local store puts stuff out 2-3 weeks before street date.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.