Reload this Page >

Alfred Hitchcock:The Ultimate Filmmaker Collection UK set

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 12-24-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

This 16 film gift set from the UK is about $127 shipped to the US. Unlike last year's gift set this one includes North By Northwest and To Catch A Thief.
Sales ends 2/2/14 as part of their January sale per description. No guarantee about when sale ends. If waiting till the last minute remember time difference between where you are and Great Britain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

You can currently get the US Hitchcock set plus To Catch a Thief for about $120 plus tax at Amazon US. About the same price without the extras included in the UK set.

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-29-13 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-24-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alfred Hitchcock:The Ultimate Filmmaker Collection UK set

If I hadn't bought the original set last year I'd be all over it. The little film cans look cool.
Old 12-25-13, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
This 16 film gift set from the UK is about $127 shipped to the US. Unlike last year's gift set this one includes North By Northwest and To Catch A Thief.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

You can currently get the US Hitchcock set plus To Catch a Thief for about $120 plus tax at Amazon US. About the same price without the extras included in the UK set.
Bought this during BF week for $170, son of a bitch.
Old 12-25-13, 12:59 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

so its just the same earlier set with 2 extra titles ? some titles had deplorable PQ
Old 12-25-13, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
so its just the same earlier set with 2 extra titles ? some titles had deplorable PQ
Yes, they are the same disks.
Old 12-25-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

You need a definition of the word deplorable.

I own the set and have watched all of the movies. A few of the movies didn't get the restoration that the majority did but none of the movies would I even consider as having "bad" picture quality.
Old 12-25-13, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen

I own the set and have watched all of the movies. A few of the movies didn't get the restoration that the majority did but none of the movies would I even consider as having "bad" picture quality.
and therein lies the problem. I have watched some of the movies on that set - Marnie, Frenzy, Torn Curtain - and its no better than up-resed DVD. Its shoddy work on part of the studio, misrepresentation of the 1080p pq and even more egregious to keep repackaging the same shitty transfers. The more you are forgiving of them for doing that, the more they will do it.
Old 12-25-13, 11:28 PM

and therein lies the problem. I have watched some of the movies on that set - Marnie, Frenzy, Torn Curtain - and its no better than up-resed DVD. Its shoddy work on part of the studio, misrepresentation of the 1080p pq and even more egregious to keep repackaging the same shitty transfers. The more you are forgiving of them for doing that, the more they will do it.
He already bought the set. Him being "forgiving" afterward isn't going influence them in the slightest. I just bought the British Masterpiece set because the best films -- Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt, The Birds -- and most of the earlier films are reported to have good or better transfers.
Old 12-26-13, 03:24 PM

Pardon me if the answer is obvious, but I see that this Blu-ray set is all region. But if I'm in the U.S., and my plain Blu-ray player doesn't convert PAL to NTSC, will I be able to watch these movies? Thanks, in advance, for any guidance.
Old 12-26-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by slipped disc
Pardon me if the answer is obvious, but I see that this Blu-ray set is all region. But if I'm in the U.S., and my plain Blu-ray player doesn't convert PAL to NTSC, will I be able to watch these movies? Thanks, in advance, for any guidance.
PAL & NTSC are standard def formats & not applicable to Blu ray. The BD spec is universal, much like CD's. They are restricted only by region coding.
Old 12-26-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noiradelic
He already bought the set. Him being "forgiving" afterward isn't going influence them in the slightest. I just bought the British Masterpiece set because the best films -- Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt, The Birds -- and most of the earlier films are reported to have good or better transfers.
And I knew about a few spotty transfers going in. I still feel the set was well worth the money. Hitchcock is one of my favorites and I loved the set and all the bonus features.
Old 12-27-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

And I knew about a few spotty transfers going in. I still feel the set was well worth the money. Hitchcock is one of my favorites and I loved the set and all the bonus features.
Does anyone have a handy comparison between the bonus features here and the many that have been released in various forms before, please..? I presume some/many/all may be new to blu, but are (m)any actually just "NEW"..?
Old 12-29-13, 01:33 PM

I don't think the video bonus features vary between the blu ray release(s) of these films other than there may be more dubbed languages on the UK version compared to US and there maybe more English language choices on the US version . Per the description page of Amazon.co.uk here is the list of bonus features for the films.

Saboteur (1942) - Aircraft factory worker Barry Kane goes on the run across the United States when he is wrongly accused of a fire that killed his best friend.
Special features: Saboteur: A Closer Look, Storyboards: The Statue of Liberty Sequence , Alfred Hitchcock’s Sketches , Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer.
Dubbed languages:French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian.

Shadow of a Doubt (1943) - A young woman discovers her visiting "Uncle Charlie" may not be the man he initially seemed to be.
Special features:Beyond Doubt: The Making of Hitchcock’s Favorite Film, Production Drawings by Art Director Robert Boyle, Production Photographs , Theatrical Trailer.
Dubbed languages:French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian.

Rope (1948) - Two young men strangle their classmate, hide his body in their apartment and invite his closest friends and family to a dinner party as a means to challenge the "perfection" of their crime.
Special features: Rope Unleashed , Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer.

Rear Window (1954) - A wheelchair bound photographer spies on his neighbours from his window and becomes convinced one of them has committed a serious murder.
Special features: Rear Window Ethics: An Original Documentary, A Conversation with Screenwriter John Michael Hayes, Pure Cinema: Through the Eyes of The Master, Breaking Barriers: The Sound of Hitchcock, Hitchcock-Truffaut Interview Excerpts, Masters of Cinema, Feature Commentary with John Fawell, author of Hitchcock’s Rear Window: The Well-Made Film, Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer, Re-Release Trailer Narrated by James Stewart.

To Catch A Thief (1955) - The French Riviera… two luminous stars (Grace Kelly, Cary Grant)… and the Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, behind the camera. They all add up to one romantic, dazzling screen thriller. Grant plays John Robie, a retired jewel thief once known as “The Cat”, who catches the eye of Frances Stevens (Kelly), a pampered, vacationing heiress. But when a new rash of gem thefts occurs amongst the luxury hotels of the spectacular French
Dubbed languages: Japanese, Italian, Spanish, German, French

The Trouble with Harry (1955) - The trouble with Harry is that everyone seems to have a different idea of what needs to be done with his body.
Special features: The Trouble with Harry Isn’t Over, Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - A family holidaying in Morocco stumble on to an assassination plot and the conspirators are determined to prevent them from interfering.
Special features: The Making of The Man Who Knew Too Much, Production Photographs, Trailers.

Vertigo (1958) - A San Francisco detective suffering from acrophobia investigates the activities of an old friend's wife, whilst becoming dangerously obsessed with her.
Special features: Obsessed with Vertigo: New Life for Hitchcock’s Masterpiece, Partners in Crime: Hitchcock’s Collaborators, Hitchcock / Truffaut Interview Excerpts, Foreign Censorship Ending, The Vertigo Archives, Feature Commentary with Associate Producer Herbert Coleman, Restoration Team Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz, and Other Vertigo Participants, Feature Commentary with Director William Friedkin, 100 Years of Universal: The Lew Wasserman Era, Theatrical Trailer, Restoration Theatrical Trailer.
Dubbed languages: Japanese, French, Italian, German, Spanish.

North By Northwest (1959) - A strong candidate for possibly the most entertaining and enjoyable film ever made by a Hollywood studio, North by Northwest is positioned between the much heavier and more profoundly disturbing Vertigo (1958) and the stark horror of Psycho (1960). In the corpus of Alfred Hitchcock films it shows the director at his most effervescent in a romantic comedy-thriller that also features one of the definitive Cary Grant performances.
Special features: Cary Grant: A Class Apart Documentary; The Master's Touch: Hitchcock's Signature Style; Destination Hitchcock: The Making of North by Northwest; North by Northwest: One for the Ages; Stills Gallery; North By Northwest Trailer; A Guided Tour with Alfred Hitchcock; North by Northwest Theatrical Trailer.
Dubbed languages: Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, French

Psycho (1960) - A young woman steals $40,000 from her client and subsequently encounters a young motel proprietor who has been too long under the presence and domination of his mother.
Special features: The Making of Psycho, Psycho Sound, In The Master’s Shadow: Hitchcock’s Legacy, Hitchcock-Truffaut Interview Excerpts, Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho, The Shower Scene: With and Without Music , The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass, The Psycho Archives, Posters and Psycho Ads, Lobby Cards, Behind-the-Scenes Photographs, Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer, Re-release Trailers, Feature Commentary with Stephen Rebello (author of Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho).
Dubbed languages: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese

The Birds (1963) - A wealthy San Francisco socialite pursues a potential boyfriend to a Northern California town that takes a bizarre turn when birds of all kinds begin to attack people in increasing numbers and with increasing viciousness.
Special features: Deleted Scene, Original Ending, The Birds: Hitchcock’s Monster Movie, All About The Birds, Storyboards, Tippi Hedren’s Screen Test, Hitchcock-Truffaut Interview Excerpts, The Birds Is Coming (Universal International Newsreel), Suspense Story: National Press Club Hears Hitchcock (Universal International Newsreel), Production Photographs, 100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics, 100 Years of Universal: The Lot, Theatrical Trailer.
Dubbed languages: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese

Marnie (1964) - Mark marries Marnie, although she is a thief and possesses serious psychological problems. Mark tries to help her confront and resolve the issues.
Special features: The Trouble with Marnie, The Marnie Archives, Theatrical Trailer.
Dubbed languages: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian

Torn Curtain (1966) - An American scientist defects to East Germany as part of a cloak and dagger mission to find the solution for a formula resin and has to figure out a plan to escape back West.
Special features: Torn Curtain Rising, Scenes Scored by Bernard Herrmann, Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer.
Dubbed languages: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian

Topaz (1969) - A French intelligence agent becomes embroiled in Cold War politics first uncovering the events leading up to the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, and then back to France to break up a Russian spy ring.
Special features: Alternate Endings, Topaz: An Appreciation by Film Historian and Critic Leonard Maltin, Storyboards: The Mendozas, Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer.

Frenzy (1972) - A serial killer is murdering women in London with a necktie, the police have a suspect but he isn't the correct man…
Special features: The Story of Frenzy, Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer.

Family Plot (1976) - Suspense film about a phony psychic/con artist and her taxi driver/private investigator boyfriend who encounter a pair of serial kidnappers while following a missing heir in California.
Special features: Plotting Family Plot, Storyboards: The Chase Scene, Production Photographs, Theatrical Trailer.
Product Description
United Kingdom released, Blu-Ray/Region A/B/C DVD: LANGUAGES: English ( Dolby Digital 2.0 ), English ( Dolby Digital 5.1 ), English ( Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio ), English ( Dolby TrueHD ), English ( Mono ), French ( Dolby Digital 2.0 ), French ( Mono ), German ( Dolby Digital 2.0 ), German ( Mono ), Italian ( Dolby Digital 2.0 ), Italian ( Mono ), Japanese ( Dolby Digital 2.0 ), Japanese ( Mono ), Spanish ( Dolby Digital 2.0 ), Spanish ( Mono ), Danish ( Subtitles ), English ( Subtitles ), Finnish ( Subtitles ), French ( Subtitles ), German ( Subtitles ), Italian ( Subtitles ), Japanese ( Subtitles ), Norwegian ( Subtitles ), Spanish ( Subtitles ), Swedish ( Subtitles ), SPECIAL FEATURES: Alternative Footage, Anamorphic Widescreen, Behind the scenes, Black & White, Booklet, Box Set, Cast/Crew Interview(s), Commentary, Deleted Scenes, Documentary, Interactive Menu, Making Of, Multi-DVD Set, Photo Gallery, Posters, Remastered, Scene Access, Storyboards, Trailer(s), SYNOPSIS: ***WARNING***All titles contain audio and subtitles languages as described, except for Topaz, which contains English audio with Spanish & French subtitles only***Collection contains all your favorite films from the ultimate filmmaker, Alfred Hitchcock. 16 of his best loved, classic films digitally restored in stunning high definition. Exclusive film tins including: The Birds, Family Plot, Frenzy, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Rear Window, Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Topaz, Torn Curtain, The Trouble with Harry, Rope, Vertigo, Psycho, North by Northwest, To Catch A Thief plus a 16 page companion booklet, movie poster art cards, new original letters, story...Hitchcock: The Ultimate Filmmaker Collection - 16 Disc Box Set ( The Birds / Family Plot / Frenzy / The Man Who Knew Too Much / Marnie / Rear Window / Saboteur / Shadow of a Doubt / Topaz / Torn Curtain / The Trouble with Harry / Rope (Blu-Ray)

On another site I see it mentions that the version of North By Northwest included in the US version of this set did not include the music only soundtrack that was included in the stand alone digibook release of the movie in the US. Whether it is included here is unknown but it is not listed in the special features above so I would assume it is not.

The UK version of Vertigo does not have the English mono soundtrack included in the US version.

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-29-13 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-29-13, 04:13 PM

Clearly you didn't watch Family Plot yet.
Old 12-29-13, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I did, and it looks just fine. Pop in the DVD and compare for yourself. But I will agree, compared to several others in the set, Family Plot is perhaps the worst.

Last edited by E Unit; 12-29-13 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 01:21 PM

Just a quote from the comment section

"Where are films such as "Notorious", "Spellbound", "Lifeboat", "Stagefright"? Where is "Dial M for Murder", "I Confess", "Strangers on a Train", "The Paradine Case" and "Rebecca"? "

That's some significant list that is missing !!

Since may of these titles are already on blu ray why not include them

http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitchco...ywords=rebecca

I have many of the titles on DVDs so guess I will wait for another super-duper set to come out later
Old 12-30-13, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by soundman2
Just a quote from the comment section

"Where are films such as "Notorious", "Spellbound", "Lifeboat", "Stagefright"? Where is "Dial M for Murder", "I Confess", "Strangers on a Train", "The Paradine Case" and "Rebecca"? "

That's some significant list that is missing !!

Since may of these titles are already on blu ray why not include them

http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitchco...ywords=rebecca

I have many of the titles on DVDs so guess I will wait for another super-duper set to come out later
Different studios. For e.g DIal M for Murder is from Warner, Notorious/Spellbound from MGM. this set in question is all the Universal releases
Old 12-30-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wayne Klein
Clearly you didn't watch Family Plot yet.
Over the last few months I watched every Hitchcock movies from the original The Man who Knew too Much till his last and the blu-ray of Family Plot was fine.
Old 12-31-13, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
PAL & NTSC are standard def formats & not applicable to Blu ray. The BD spec is universal, much like CD's. They are restricted only by region coding.
Eddie, thanks for the info!
Old 01-08-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

The previous 14 disc set is running just under $65 shipped from the UK site. Great deal for a 14 movie set (especially since I already have the North By Northwest Blu Ray digibook). Even though I already own Psycho, I felt that was still a deal worth jumping on.
Old 01-09-14, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
The previous 14 disc set is running just under $65 shipped from the UK site. Great deal for a 14 movie set (especially since I already have the North By Northwest Blu Ray digibook). Even though I already own Psycho, I felt that was still a deal worth jumping on.
Keep falling. Should get to around $40...