Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Published fanfiction "Sunlit Shade" on Kindle Worlds!

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried this service?
https://kindleworlds.amazon.com
Using any of these licensed properties you can write up your own stories and have it published!

Well one of the properties, John Rain (a Japanese-American assassin, similar to Bourne) was intriguing since it was an assassin. I went to work on something, always wanting to write something about spies, and recently had my own published novella:

http://www.amazon.com/John-Rain-Sunl...835082&sr=1-10

I set it in Africa for a change since these stories always happen in other continents. The next one i'd do would be the Foreworld saga.
Old 12-23-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Published fanfiction "Sunlit Shade" on Kindle Worlds!

Congrats. Very interesting. How much of that $1.99 goes in your pocket?
Old 12-23-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Gee, can I advertise my Kindle Books here too?! And all of mine are longer than 26 pages.
Old 12-23-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Congrats. Very interesting. How much of that $1.99 goes in your pocket?
https://kindleworlds.amazon.com/faqs...A3T3UQCG5AG03W
Old 12-23-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Neat program. Will have to check out.
Old 12-23-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

35%
yes danwiz i'd like to see what properties you did pal.
Old 12-23-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by danwiz
Gee, can I advertise my Kindle Books here too?! And all of mine are longer than 26 pages.
Oh stop whining. Geez.
Old 12-24-13, 08:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/611964-advertising-self-promotion-faq

Originally Posted by duff beer
Has anyone tried this service?
https://kindleworlds.amazon.com
Using any of these licensed properties you can write up your own stories and have it published!
Welcome back db! Has it really been half a decade since you last posted on Book Talk? Tempus really does fugit!

Anyhoo, for anyone minded to post a thread along self-promotional lines, would you please first read and take note of the following which has been stickied in Feedback for several months.

Any questions, please post them to the original Feedback thread. Merci!
Originally Posted by VinVega
There have been a lot of questions concerning what users may post as far as deals/advertising/self promotion, etc. We've tried to come up with some FAQ that will better explain what is and is not allowed.

Where do I find out about the rules on advertising within the DVDTalk.com forums?
The first word is to be found in the list of rules to which members are expected to adhere on signing up:

YOUR MEMBERSHIP TO THE DVD TALK FORUM IS ALSO PREDICATED ON YOUR ADHERENCE TO THESE RULES. If you violate any of these rules your account will be suspended and you may be permanently banned from membership at our discretion:

ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Posting of any form of advertising including: URL's with affiliate codes, referrer tags, tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company. Paid advertisers are obviously excluded from this rule.

I’m not sure whether the rules cover my particular situation?
If you are in any doubt whatsoever as to where the line is drawn on such matters you should PM a mod or admin and then wait until you have received a response before proceeding with any action which might be regarded as in contravention with either the letter or the spirit of the above rules.

Doesn’t this put a lot of responsibility on the member?
Yes it does. Members are entirely accountable for their posts and risk the suspension or permanent removal of posting privileges for any infraction. When in doubt, it makes sense to check first, wait for the reply and then to act on it.

What about simply posting about a bargain where I work?
As well as blatant "shills", we've had long term members essentially setting up shop here before. Somebody asks about getting a new TV and they chime in with "I can get you a good deal on that". And it happens over and over. Others keep posting in threads about new releases their company has or sales items. A trend is noticeable after a while. We have had a good number of those so, as a result of these episodes, now we don’t let anyone promote business for a company they work for.

But I know that members will be interested!

We have a diverse community that works for many companies that produce products that members might be interested in. If we allow their posting of the deals we would never get advertising from those companies. The company would just have the member do it. Not to mention that those "deals" aren't always objectively the best deals. Non-employee members come from the viewpoint of several vendors to choose from, not just the one cited. When a non-associated member sees a good deal it usually is because they've also compared against a selection of vendors. So when it comes from the member who is an employee it becomes just advertising.

Is there a line to be drawn? Any grey/gray areas?
See above about being unsure if the rules cover your situation. But IB have agreed to the option whereby members can ask for administrator pre-approval if they think there's an exceptional reason for posting a particular link/deal/etc. Or, for that matter, in cases of genuine doubt with regard to what constitutes a competing site.

Can I put a link to my site in my sig?
We would suggest asking permission first. Promoting your blog may be fine but promoting a commercial website… No.

What about innocent self-promotion?
See above about being unsure if the rules cover your situation. As far as individual members telling others about a CD they made, or a short film they worked on, or whatever, as long as it's small-time like that, for the most part we should be able to live with it. It sounds like good community camaraderie. When you have friends on a forum you'd like to be able to tell them about something cool that you’re personally involved in. However, bumping threads during the season for buying your book or your CD (or whatever) is seen as taking a step too far. When it butts up against advertisers' interests, or DVDTalk's interests, there's the line. Since DVDTalk has a very high-traffic review blog section, links to similar blogs are probably over the line, for instance.

How will you even know if I might profit personally?
Most of the scenarios envisage you contacting the mod team in advance. A part of that would include background information as to your connection, if any, to the deal. As is the case in any community, there is an implicit element of trust. And, as is also the case in any community, there are sanctions against those who breach that trust. For details of how perceived infactions are handled, please see the SOP which is posted elsewhere.

Are there any people who are allowed to advertise in forum threads?
Yes, IB has authorised certain company reps to become members and post. You will usually recognise them by their custom user title and maybe a company-oriented avatar. If you are in any doubt, please just PM an admin and they will check our list.

I think the pesky mods are being unreasonable in their interpretation. What does IB have to say?
“We can't very well ask vendors to support the site through advertising if we're going to allow anyone to hawk their stuff for free. Likewise, we don't allow competing websites to shill here or try to enlist support. Rule of thumb: if it potentially hurts this site, we shouldn't allow it; if it hurts our paying advertisers, siphoning or discouraging participators, it's hurting DVDTalk's ability to grow and improve." - IB

You said that the forum rules were the first word. What is the last word?
For details of how perceived infactions are handled, please see the SOP which is posted elsewhere.
Old 12-24-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Those rules are a bit hard to interpret, but it sounds to me like this thread should have been deleted if I am reading them correctly, or at least the link removed.

For duff beer you can find my works through the "Our Books" button on our website - my username +.com

For auto - Whining? Do the rules apply to everybody or only to some of us is my question. And, based on your criticism of me I would say that rule #1 (Posting of personal attacks against another member) applies to you.
Old 12-24-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the thread is valid if only for letting the masses know that such a thing like "Kindle Worlds" exists.
Old 12-27-13, 02:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to lock this one as it seems less about reading and writing and more about other kinds of messages.

So what have we learned:
  1. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.
  2. The above guidelines specifically stipulate that you should approach a mod/admin prior to any attempt to engage in an act of self-promotion.
  3. While snapping at another member isn't a great way of conducting oneself it does not necessarily comprise a personal attack. FWIW, although I do see one or two harsh words, I see no personal attacks in this thread.