Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Perhaps now Bette Midler is signed up to play Mae West we may get Mae on Blu Ray!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Perhaps now Bette Midler is signed up to play Mae West we may get Mae on Blu Ray!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was delighted to read that Bette Midler is to play Mae West in a forthcoming HBO biopic. She is to star in and co produce the movie which is to be scripted by Harvey Fierstein and will be directed by William Friedkin who will also co produce.

I have always said that Midler would be great as Mae as she has always mentioned that she found Mae an inspiration/major influence in her singing!

If this turns out to be the success that the other recent HBO Liberace biopic Behind the Candelabra starring Michael Douglas was then I shall be delighted and hopefully Mae West movies may be coming to Blu Ray after all as it will start a whole new group of people to discover and seek out West's humour and films! It's high time that her films were given a new remastering on Blu Ray , as the last DVD set was rather lacklustre , and they would certainly benefit from a completely new state of the art makeover! It's a pity that Warner Bros don't own the Mae West movies I think , alas , that they're under the auspices of Universal!

Warner Bros should release their own Busby Berkeley musicals and the RKO Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musical movies ( which I believe Warner Bros now own? ) out on Blu Ray too!
Old 12-23-13, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Perhaps now Bette Midler is signed up to play Mae West we may get Mae on Blu Ray!

Who's owns the rights to those films? The Marilyn collection didn't sell very well and that was from Paramount (I picked up a copy for my wife for like $11 on Amazon still sealed).
Old 12-24-13, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Perhaps now Bette Midler is signed up to play Mae West we may get Mae on Blu Ray!

I don't know who holds the rights but assuming that it's Universal, your only hope is probably the Criterion Collection.
Old 12-25-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of Mae West's Paramount films are now owned by Universal, they bought almost all of Paramount's sound movies prior to 1948 in the 1950s.
Old 12-25-13, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
All of Mae West's Paramount films are now owned by Universal, they bought almost all of Paramount's sound movies prior to 1948 in the 1950s.
Good look with getting anything out of Universal.