Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Studio Ghibli's latest film: When Marnie Was There

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 07:36 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

https://twitter.com/ghibli_intl/stat...68379337801728
Announcing a new film from Studio Ghibli, "When Marnie Was There", directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi ("Arrietty"). pic.twitter.com/s6zvrEeNae
http://4NN.cx/139642
Ghibli Adapts Joan G. Robinson's When Marnie Was There Novel Into Anime
posted on 2013-12-12 01:40 EST

Arrietty's Hiromasa Yonebayashi directs next summer's film based on English children's classic

Film distributor TOHO announced its 2014 lineup on Thursday, and revealed that Studio Ghibli's next film will be an adaptation of Joan G. Robinson's English children's novel classic When Marnie Was There (Omoide no Marnie) next summer. Hiromasa Yonebayashi is returning to direct his second film after 2010's The Secret World of Arrietty.

Amazon posted a publisher's description of the novel:
Anna hasn't a friend in the world - until she meets Marnie among the sand dunes. But Marnie isn't all she seems...An atmospheric ghost story with truths to tell about friendship, families and loneliness. Anna lives with foster parents, a misfit with no friends, always on the outside of things. Then she is sent to Norfolk to stay with old Mr and Mrs Pegg, where she runs wild on the sand dunes and around the water. There is a house, the Marsh House, which she feels she recognises - and she soon meets a strange little girl called Marnie, who becomes Anna's first ever friend. Then one day, Marnie vanishes. A new family, the Lindsays, move into the Marsh House. Having learnt so much from Marnie about friendship, Anna makes firm friends with the Lindsays - and learns some strange truths about Marnie, who was not all she seemed...
The novel is one of the 50 books that Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki recommended in a list he created for children. In September, Miyazaki announced his retirement from feature films after his 11th film, The Wind Rises.

The film's website has the tagline, "There is a magical circle invisible to the naked eye in this world."

Keiko Niwa (Ocean Waves, From Up On Poppy Hill, The Secret World of Arrietty), Masashi Ando (character designer on Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Paprika), and Yonebayashi co-wrote the screenplay, and Takatsugu Muramatsu (Hime Chen! Otogi Chikku Idol Lilpri) is scoring the soundtrack.

Source: Mainichi Shimbun's Mantan Web via tsk06

Last edited by WTK; 12-13-13 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
re: Studio Ghibli's latest film: When Marnie Was There

Sounds like it would make a great Japanese ghost story. "Woman of the Dunes," indeed!
Old 01-14-15, 09:06 PM
WTK

Re: Studio Ghibli's latest film: When Marnie Was There

http://deadline.com/2015/01/when-mar...se-1201349894/
Studio Ghibli’s ‘When Marnie Was There’ Acquired By GKIDS

If you’re into animation, a new Studio Ghibli pic is always welcomed news. Today, GKIDS said it has picked up North American rights to When Marnie Was There. The indie distributor plans a spring theatrical release for an English-language version of the Hiromasa Yonebayashi-directed pic about friendship and discovery. Released in Japan last summer by the Hayao Miyazaki co-formed anime studio, the feature is based on Joan G. Robinson’s children’s novel from the 1980s.

The Marnie deal was put together by GKIDS founder Eric Beckman and Geoffrey Wexler from Studio Ghibli.

This, of course, is not the first time the two companies have worked together. GKIDS handles Stateside distribution for the highly valued the Studio Ghibli library. Among other projects, the two recently partnered on The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya. The first film directed by Ghibli’s other co-founder Isao Takahata in 14 years, Princess Kaguya is a favorite for snagging an Oscar nomination tomorrow in the Best Animated Feature category. Last year, Miyazaki’s publicly announced last animated feature The Wind Rises was up for the Oscar in the Best Animated category (the award went to Disney’s blockbuster Frozen).
http://www.animationmagazine.net/fea...north-america/
GKIDS Acquires Ghibli’s ‘Marnie’ for North America

GKIDS continues its successful relationship with legendary Japanese toon house Studio Ghibli with a newly signed distribution agreement which will bring the animated feature When Marnie Was There (Omoide no Marnie) to North America. The deal includes all theatrical, non-theatrical, home video and television rights for the region. An English-language version is now in the works overseen by Ghibli and Geoffrey Wexler, slated for release this spring.

Directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi (The Secret World of Arrietty) and based on the children’s novel by British author Joan G. Robinson, the film tells the story of a troubled young girl named Anna who finds herself drawn to the abandoned Marsh House and the mysterious young girl named Marnie who appears in its window.
Old 03-05-15, 10:41 PM
WTK

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...01969098616833
WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE comes to theaters 5/22! Like us on FB & keep updated on news & more: http://on.fb.me/1zQWpCX
Old 03-12-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Japanese-language version of WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE played at the New York International Children's Film Festival this past month. When I first got the notification, I asked my daughter if she wanted to go and it took her weeks to tell me no, so when I finally went to buy tickets, both shows were sold out. They really should have added more shows. I'll probably wind up seeing the dubbed version but I'd much rather seen the Japanese-language version first.
Old 03-17-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Any idea when this will be released on Blu-ray in North America? I think it's out in Japan already.
Old 03-17-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that the theatrical release for "Marnie" in the US is this May from GKids, and give it about 4 months for a video release (like it was for "Princess Kaguya"), so possibly September.
Old 03-24-15, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My local Japanese video store already has copies on Blu-ray and DVD, with English subs!
Old 03-24-15, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You have a local Japanese video store in New York?
Old 03-25-15, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
You have a local Japanese video store in New York?
Well, there's just one. And it's in Manhattan not too far from my office. So that counts as local, in my book.
Old 03-26-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there a Japanese enclave nearby or a significant Japanese population in the area? It seems like it's odd and wouldn't be a commercially viable thing to have around otherwise.
Old 03-27-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Is there a Japanese enclave nearby or a significant Japanese population in the area? It seems like it's odd and wouldn't be a commercially viable thing to have around otherwise.
Yes, there are areas in Manhattan where Japanese businesses are clustered, and this is one of them. Book Off, a Japanese-owned chain that sells used books, CDs, DVDs, blu-rays, electronics, is also on the block and they have large sections devoted to anime, Japanese films, J-pop CD's, manga in both English and Japanese, etc. There used to be another Japanese store, Asahiya, a block away that sold new Japanese books, CDs, video, etc., all at high prices, but they closed up. Kinokuniya Books is a few blocks away. There used to be at least two other Japanese video stores in the area, but I haven't checked them out in years, so I don't know if they're still open or not. They weren't as accessible as HQ Video.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-29-15 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE opens in NYC today. I still haven't seen it.

I plan to see it if there's a subtitled (as opposed to dubbed) screening.

Negative review in The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/mo...ef=todayspaper
Old 05-22-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE opens in NYC today. I still haven't seen it.

I plan to see it if there's a subtitled (as opposed to dubbed) screening.

Negative review in The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/mo...ef=todayspaper
Well, that negative review was completely off the wall. This is a great film. I wound up seeing the dubbed version and the acting was all excellent. For me this is the best Ghibli film since MONONOKE HIME. It's a love story, a ghost story, a coming-of-age story, with echoes of KIKI, TOTORO, SPIRITED AWAY and, closest of all, ONLY YESTERDAY. I have it on DVD in Japanese with subs., so I will soon see it that way. But I'm happy I saw the dubbed version so I could experience what really top-drawer English-language voice acting sounds like.

I have a question about the ending for anyone else that's seen it. I'm not posting it yet, not even in a spoiler tag, because it might tempt somebody who hasn't seen it and it really should not be spoiled.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-22-15 at 09:01 PM.