Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best film directed by Lucio Fulci.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best film directed by Lucio Fulci.
A Lizard in a Woman's Skin
0%
Don't Torture a Duckling
11.11%
Four of the Apocalypse
0%
The Psychic
0%
Zombie
44.44%
Contraband
0%
City of the Living Dead
11.11%
The Black Cat
0%
The Beyond
27.78%
The House by the Cemetery
0%
The New York Ripper
5.56%
Manhattan Baby
0%
Murder-Rock
0%
Demonia
0%
Voices from Beyond
0%
Door Into Silence
0%
Cat in the Brain
0%
Perversion Story
0%
The Conspiracy of Torture
0%
Conquest
0%
The Eroticist
0%
The House of Clocks
0%
The New Gladiators
0%
Touch of Death
0%
Other
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Love him or hate him (I fall somewhere in the middle) he did make an impression in Italian genre cinema. I remember as a youngster watching Zombie on the big screen and also attending double features of his films along with Romero & Argento at Times Square.

Last edited by inri222; 12-11-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best film directed by Lucio Fulci.

Shark vs. zombie wins.

Spoiler:
Sadly, it's the only one I've seen so I'll abstain from voting.
Old 12-11-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I haven't seen a single movie of his I like, though I'm far from a completist. Don't Torture... was at least watchable and competently made, which is more than can be said for the 3 or 4 other films of his I have seen.
Old 12-11-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I have yet to see a movie of his that was watchable
Old 12-11-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Had to go with Zombie. It has one of the most iconic scenes in horror.
Old 12-11-13, 09:51 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I find his films to be very amateurish. The pipe cleaner spider scene in "The Beyond" was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in a movie.
Old 12-11-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Never seen any of the films listed. I checked IMDB and the only film of his I've ever seen is the western, MASSACRE TIME (1966), aka THE BRUTE AND THE BEAST, with Franco Nero. I remember liking it. I need to see it again.
Old 12-11-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only ones I've seen are The Beyond and Zombie. Neither was particularly good, but there was at least some sense of technical accomplishment to The Beyond, the craftsmanship in the Italian film industry at that time was apparently pretty good. Sadly, the movie itself exists from set piece to set piece with an incomprehensible narrative an tons of gratuitous gore which is pretty much the only reason it existed in the first place. Zombie was dull with a few good splatter bits.

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I find his films to be very amateurish. The pipe cleaner spider scene in "The Beyond" was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in a movie.
Pipe cleaner?
Old 12-11-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Pipe cleaner?
The scene where the tarantulas attack the librarian. There's like one or two real spiders and the rest look like they were made out of pipe cleaners attached to plastic eggs. It's awful.

Another scene in the movie that always made no sense to me...the face-eating acid. This woman walks into a morgue, sees her dead husband, then looks up and screams at something unknown...cut to the daughter running into the room and she sees the woman lying on the floor and a vat of acid just happens to be falling down on her little by little eating her face. It really makes no sense.
Old 12-11-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Pipe cleaner?
"Spiders", that were clearly styrofoam balls with pipe cleaners for legs, dangling from strings. Although what I found funnier in that scene is the chewing noises the spiders made...

The best Fulci film, by far, is Don't Torture a Duckling. It's one of the few Fulci films with a consistent motif that is on display throughout the film, even from the opening frame. I'm talking about modern civilization invading a rural community, and you see it throughout the entire movie. And it also factors in as the killer's motivation.
But, you still see the Fulci-isms as well, like the extended torture sequence of the suspected witch, where the camera lingers on the wounds long enough that you can obviously see they're fake (see: pipe cleaner spiders). I've always thought that Mr. Blonde torturing the cop in Reservoir Dogs is an amalgam of this scene, and the ear cutting in Django.
Old 12-11-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sadly, the movie itself exists from set piece to set piece with an incomprehensible narrative an tons of gratuitous gore which is pretty much the only reason it existed in the first place.
You've pretty much just described every Fulci film.

I guess Zombie for me, but even that has its fair share of typical Fulci movie problems; they're just a little easier to endure in this particular regard.
Old 12-11-13, 11:37 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
The scene where the tarantulas attack the librarian. There's like one or two real spiders and the rest look like they were made out of pipe cleaners attached to plastic eggs. It's awful.

Another scene in the movie that always made no sense to me...the face-eating acid. This woman walks into a morgue, sees her dead husband, then looks up and screams at something unknown...cut to the daughter running into the room and she sees the woman lying on the floor and a vat of acid just happens to be falling down on her little by little eating her face. It really makes no sense.
Haha, I forgot about that scene. Just set up for the sake of gore.
Old 12-11-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Never seen any of the films listed. I checked IMDB and the only film of his I've ever seen is the western, MASSACRE TIME (1966), aka THE BRUTE AND THE BEAST, with Franco Nero. I remember liking it. I need to see it again.
I watched this just a few months ago and I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 12-11-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I chose City of the Living Dead. Though similar in story & atmosphere to The Beyond it is IMO tighter & a bit more coherent.
His more Giallo like films : A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, Don't Torture a Duckling & The Psychic (Seven Notes in Black) are worth watching.
Old 12-11-13, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Well I love Zombie, COTLD, The Beyond, House By The Cemetery. They are fun, but I admit that I love the music to them more than the films themselves. The music is what makes them creepy. My vote goes to COTLD.
Old 12-11-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Zombie is the only film of his I've seen. Terrible acting aside, I had a lot of fun watching it so I'll vote for that.
Old 12-11-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was tempted to vote Zombie, but The Beyond seems to really incorporate everything Fulci is known for, while also being just a solid, atmospheric horror tale.
Old 12-11-13, 12:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I've seen a few of his movies, and I never have any idea what's going on. I voted for "Zombi" because it's admittedly got some cool visuals.
Old 12-11-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
The best Fulci film, by far, is Don't Torture a Duckling. It's one of the few Fulci films with a consistent motif that is on display throughout the film, even from the opening frame. I'm talking about modern civilization invading a rural community, and you see it throughout the entire movie. And it also factors in as the killer's motivation.
But, you still see the Fulci-isms as well, like the extended torture sequence of the suspected witch, where the camera lingers on the wounds long enough that you can obviously see they're fake (see: pipe cleaner spiders). I've always thought that Mr. Blonde torturing the cop in Reservoir Dogs is an amalgam of this scene, and the ear cutting in Django.
I added another Duckling vote for these reasons.

Though while it's his "best" movie, my favorite is a toss-up between Zombie and The Beyond. Incredibly cheesy but lots of fun. Zombie in particular made a big impression on me when I first saw it as a VHS rental in the 80s. To a kid, it was mindblowing stuff. So many videos looked on great by the cover but failed to deliver ... Zombie delivered in spades. I remember telling other kids about how awesome it was and they were jealous that my parents would let me watch this stuff.

Though as silly as these movies could get, there would be moments and shots that were damned effective. And Fabio Frizzi did some great music for Fulci too.
Old 12-11-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brainee
And Fabio Frizzi did some great music for Fulci too.
Old 12-11-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I haven't voted because I've only seen Zombie, of course the shark vs. zombie fight was amazing just a brilliant concept. But the part that sticks with me is the eyeball scene. I was a seasoned horror junkie when I watched the movie, but it still seriously disturbed me. From the slow, drawn-out nature of the scene, complete with squirming and screaming, to the actual piercing of the eyeball going further and further. Really gruesome stuff.
Old 12-11-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Voted for Zombie because of the replay value.

Guiltiest pleasure by Fulci=NYRIPPER

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Seek out Four of the Apocalypse as well. It, honestly, is one of the best films he made.
Old 12-11-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to rank Fulci films because of the wide variety of genres and styles. I think his most well-made movies are his gialli, Don't Torture a Duckling, The Psychic, and Lizard in a Women's Skin. I chose The Beyond because that's his best "Fulci gore" movie and the type of film that most people identify him with. Contraband is a pretty good movie too.

He made some really miserable movies towards the end, too.
Old 12-11-13, 09:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

top five for me

- Zombie
- The Beyond
- House by the Cemetary
- The Psychic
- City of the Living Dead

there's a movie missing; 'Sodoma's Ghost' - which might be intentional since it's by far his worse movie.

even though most of the movie is comprised of scenes from other movies oh his, I quite enjoy 'Cat in the Brain'

'Demonia' was a valiant attempt - but it went nowhere despite a great death scene where a guy is quartered by a horse

from what I've read - his version of 'White Fang' is supposedly quite good.
Old 12-12-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I'm rather phobic of insect and arachnids, so I was looking at the real ones, so I didn't catch that. I guess that's what he was hoping for.

Nothing in that film makes any sense, half the time I don't even know why everyone is where they are. The Friday the 13th movies are terribly written, but at least when they cut from one place to another I understand where everything is.

Originally Posted by Paff
I've always thought that Mr. Blonde torturing the cop in Reservoir Dogs is an amalgam of this scene, and the ear cutting in Django.
Knowing Tarantino, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
You've pretty much just described every Fulci film.
Clearly someone liked him, his career was quite long. The Grindhouse releasing DVD of The Beyond that I Netflixed is one of the most lovingly put-together DVD packages I've ever seen, the passion of the people and the fans is really something to see. It's unfortunate that the film was such a disappointment.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Zombie is the only film of his I've seen. Terrible acting aside, I had a lot of fun watching it so I'll vote for that.
Perhaps that's why you enjoyed watching it ?

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I was tempted to vote Zombie, but The Beyond seems to really incorporate everything Fulci is known for, while also being just a solid, atmospheric horror tale.
Atmospheric yes, but I kind of found incomprehensible. Whether because of the dubbing, bad screenwriting, or just because I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, I don't know.

Originally Posted by brainee
Though while it's his "best" movie, my favorite is a toss-up between Zombie and The Beyond. Incredibly cheesy but lots of fun. Zombie in particular made a big impression on me when I first saw it as a VHS rental in the 80s. To a kid, it was mindblowing stuff. So many videos looked on great by the cover but failed to deliver ... Zombie delivered in spades. I remember telling other kids about how awesome it was and they were jealous that my parents would let me watch this stuff.
I remember that there was an old mom and pop's VHS rental store a couple of miles from my house. Once, when my parents went out of town, I walked there and rented the old HBO tape of The Evil Dead. The cashier spoke about 19 words of English, from what I could tell. He asked if I was 17, I told him I was (Give or take ), and he gave me the tape. Good times.

Though as silly as these movies could get, there would be moments and shots that were damned effective.
Individually, yes.

And Fabio Frizzi did some great music for Fulci too.
Yeah, I kind of wish some of it was on CD.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I haven't voted because I've only seen Zombie, of course the shark vs. zombie fight was amazing just a brilliant concept. But the part that sticks with me is the eyeball scene. I was a seasoned horror junkie when I watched the movie, but it still seriously disturbed me. From the slow, drawn-out nature of the scene, complete with squirming and screaming, to the actual piercing of the eyeball going further and further. Really gruesome stuff.
There's violent, and then there's sadistic, which is what puts Fulci over the edge.