Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Most underrated shows currently airing

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What shows do you think are really underrated?
The Good Wife (CBS)
9.09%
Strike Back (Cinemax)
12.73%
Banshee (Cinemax)
16.36%
Haven (SyFy)
7.27%
Scandal (ABC)
1.82%
Parenthood (NBC)
14.55%
Chicago Fire (NBC)
5.45%
Castle (ABC)
3.64%
Dallas (TNT)
1.82%
Continuum (SyFy)
12.73%
Ray Donovan (Showtime)
3.64%
Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)
3.64%
Switched at Birth (ABC Family)
1.82%
Shameless (Showtime)
9.09%
Person of Interest (CBS)
25.45%
Blue Bloods (CBS)
3.64%
Orphan Black (BBC America)
32.73%
Nashville (ABC)
1.82%
The Middle (ABC)
5.45%
The Mindy Project (FOX)
9.09%
Covert Affairs or White Collar (USA)
5.45%
Cougar Town (TBS)
3.64%
Nikita (The CW)
10.91%
Other Cable series
10.91%
Other Broadcast series
5.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm talking about stuff that you think has consistently good writing, acting, directing and has a lot of good stories to tell. Or something that is even an over the top guilty pleasure, but is consistently good every week. Yet, on message boards like for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to get much attention or fails to attract a lot of buzz online like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones etc.

Nikita and The Good Wife are 1-2 in my book.

Strike Back is one of the most insanely awesome shows on cable TV, yet doesn't seem to attract a lot of eyes in the online community mainly because not every has Cinemax or has to see it 6 months after it airs on DVD or BD.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-10-13 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts
Re: Most underrated shows currently airing

Off the top of my head, I'd say Revolution. The first season was a mess and made many views drop the show. Season 2 has been pretty intense. I don't see many people online talking about it.
Old 12-10-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Revolution? Really? I've decided to dump it. Not worth my time anymore.

I don't know exactly what DJ is looking for here, but if we're talking underdiscussed in this forum, I'd say Suits. It's by far the best USA show.

I could say Masters of Sex but that seems to have a buzz among critics even if few people here watch it.

Another couple I thought of -- Veep and Getting On. Getting On especially. Are there even threads for it?
Old 12-10-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't know exactly what DJ is looking for here, but if we're talking underdiscussed in this forum, I'd say Suits. It's by far the best USA show.

I could say Masters of Sex but that seems to have a buzz among critics even if few people here watch it.

Another couple I thought of -- Veep and Getting On. Getting On especially. Are there even threads for it?
That's pretty much what I mean. Good quality shows yet there doesn't seem to be a lot of eyes on it unlike the other 2 super popular shows I already mentioned that have people analyzing/over-analyzing every single detail with hundreds of posts.

The Good Wife IMO is one of the best written serialized dramas on TV, yet most people here won't touch it because it's on CBS.

Suits is definitely underrated, yet I know a few here hated the 1st half of this past season and dropped the show.
Old 12-10-13, 03:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

The Mindy Project of all those. this has consistently got funnier and funnier. one of my go to shows. along, with New Girl and of course Scrubs.
Old 12-10-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I didn't put it on the poll, but I think Grimm is kind of underrated as well.
Old 12-10-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Another one off the top of my head. Absolutely love these ladies and Betty White is still going strong at 110 years old. Consistently funny and the writing is sharp every week.

Yet this show just isn't popular at all here.
Old 12-10-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of weeks ago Entertainment Weekly called The Good Wife the best show currently airing on TV. Plus, hasn't it won, or at least been nominated for, a slew of Emmy's? Hardly underrated.

My vote: Nikita.
Old 12-10-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the good wife, but voting parenthood, I think it's so well acted, despite what is some very spotty writing. Just a great show.
Old 12-10-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find The Middle to be funnier and more relatable than Modern Family.
Old 12-10-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It has to be either Haven or Elementary. Haven transformed itself after a sluggish first season into a show with episodes that would fit very well into the better years of the X-Files. It's the best show on SyFy by a wide margin with interesting characters and a compelling framework for its mythology.

Elementary is a different but equally successful take on Sherlock Holmes as the heralded BBC series, Sherlock. Some of the episodes' twists get predictable but that is to be expected when it airs over 20 times a year. I can't even gripe about it turning Watson into a woman, Lucy Liu has great chemistry with Miller.
Old 12-10-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Underrated? Parenthood
Old 12-10-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I think we watched the first season and a half of Cover Affairs and dropped it. I think it was a combo of conflicts, DVR space constraints and/or crash, and it didn't grab my interest. We had a lull lately so I dialed back up the end of season 2 (couldn't figure where we exactly left off) and then went right into season 3. Season 3 and it has been fantastic! We only have a few left, but not sure season 4 is currently free on any of the services. Season 3 is what the show should have been from the beginning.

As for underrated - by who? Our forum members, General media, professional reviewers, etc.

I voted for Continuum since I don't think it is widely known or recognized, and I feel it is a good original story with some twists.
Old 12-10-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Superman07
I think we watched the first season and a half of Cover Affairs and dropped it. I think it was a combo of conflicts, DVR space constraints and/or crash, and it didn't grab my interest. We had a lull lately so I dialed back up the end of season 2 (couldn't figure where we exactly left off) and then went right into season 3. Season 3 and it has been fantastic! We only have a few left, but not sure season 4 is currently free on any of the services.

As for underrated - by who? Our forum members, General media, professional reviewers, etc.
What I mean is genuinely good, well written and acted shows with interesting plots and characters, yet it doesn't get talked about much here. Even fun over the top guilty pleasures count.

I can't list everything, so feel free to talk about something else that may not be listed.

I mean it could also be that you're a fan of the show(s) and watch it regularly and like it, but just don't feel compelled to talk about it. Even that could be mentioned as a reason.

Sometimes the forum members here just don't keep up to speed with everything that is regarded as good or well reviewed and this may be an opportunity to help convince someone that show is worth their time.

Cool???
Old 12-10-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Orphan Black - how can she portray so many different personalities with such AMAZING skill???

Love Sleepy Hollow and think its mythology is wonderful and has so much room to continue to grow. I feel much the same about Grimm.

Another great one is Elementary. Johnny Lee Miller's take on Sherlock Holmes is so irreverent and fresh.

Just noticed that takes care of FOX, NBC and CBS of the broadcast networks. I know this is a personal opinion poll, but did I forget something that really stands out for most or is ABC having an off year??
Old 12-10-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Orphan Black and Arrow, off the top of my head.

This first season of Hey Ladies on HBO was pretty great too.

Wish Magic City could have stuck around for a few more seasons
Old 12-10-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Old 12-10-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

I kind of agree with Arrow as well. Even though it's gaining more interest, especially after Netflix posted season 1 and the BDs for season 1 were on sale pretty cheap recently, it still has the stigma of being on The CW. Seems like a lot of people here just can't get over it being on this network and think it's some sort of teen show.

Magic City was a beautiful looking show, but unfortunately it was on Starz and that's one of the least popular premium networks next to Cinemax.
Old 12-10-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Magic City was a beautiful looking show, but unfortunately it was on Starz and that's one of the least popular premium networks next to Cinemax.
I like Da Vinci's Demons from Starz and the pirate show that starts next month (Black Sails) looks interesting...

Also, The White Queen was a nice period piece.
Old 12-10-13, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've always said that The Big Bang Theory cannot possibly get enough praise.
Old 12-11-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sons of Anarchy

We mortals barely grasp the fucking perfection the show is.

This has been a short visit to Kurt Sutter's mind. Thanks for visiting. Stay for the man sex and Katey Sagal singing.

Cougar Town is awfully fun. It's my real answer I guess.
Old 12-11-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Sons of Anarchy

We mortals barely grasp the fucking perfection the show is.
The Irish Baby Kidnapping season would like a word with you.
Old 12-11-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just going off the list,

Strike Back is CRIMINALLY underrated. Even if you look at 2 episodes as a movie, they are cranking out the best dtv action movies going.

Banshee is also fantastic.

And even though it was a smoothie of elements from every show ever made, Ray Donovan was fantastic.

Shameless is also amazing and I am surprised more women aren't rallying to the show.

And I am stunned Arrow isn't a huuuuge deal.
Old 12-11-13, 11:00 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Gotta go with The Mindy Project. IMO, it's one of the best comedies on network TV right now and should be getting the level of attention shows like Modern Family and Parks and Rec receive.

Parenthood seems to have a stable core (and devoted) following. Orphan Black is on the BBCA so not surprised at its relative lack of attention.
Old 12-11-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Gotta go with The Mindy Project. IMO, it's one of the best comedies on network TV right now and should be getting the level of attention shows like Modern Family and Parks and Rec receive.

Parenthood seems to have a stable core (and devoted) following. Orphan Black is on the BBCA so not surprised at its relative lack of attention.
Parks and Rec is basically the lowest rated sitcom on broadcast television. Mindy Project regularly pulls higher ratings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.