Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Wy buy a dedicated streaming box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wy buy a dedicated streaming box?

I was thinking about buying a Roku but discovered there are several other options. So many in fact, it's a bit confusing. New Blu players seem to have many streaming options too. Why buy Roku when I can buy a Sony or Panny that seem to have many streaming options and will also play Blu/DVD? Is there something that makes the dedicated streamers more attractive? Better quality streaming?
Old 12-08-13, 04:09 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Wy buy a dedicated streaming box?

In my experience, a dedicated streaming box works much better than a TV or Blu-ray player with added streaming features. I don't use the streaming apps on my TV or BD player because the menus are slow and glitchy.

Also, a Roku has more streaming apps than any TV or BD player. This won't matter if you're only using Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. But if you want niche stuff like FUNimation, Full Moon Streaming or Acorn TV, you'll need a Roku.
Old 12-08-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Runs a lot smoother than using the apps on a BD player.

Picture in many instances is better too.
Old 12-08-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Don't have one myself, but I'd buy one before replacing my Oppo Blu-Ray player, which they say won't have any more apps added to it (I only use it for Vudu, the Netflix app on it can't do 5.1 at all) - never really saw the point of using a disc player for that stuff anyways. My TV has a bit more than the player, but since my receiver doesn't have ARC, I'm forced to use the optical audio output which downconverts Dolby Digital Plus (which most of the movie services use) to plain Dolby Digital which not only eliminates any extra channels from 7.1 tracks but also gives an annoying 'chirping' effect in high-pitched sounds. May end up buying a Roku just for that reason since it annoys me on Netflix (I'm leaching off my parents' subscription so not paying for it, would annoy me a lot more if I was.) I can't access Amazon VOD at all right now, which I'd rather use than Vudu just because Wal-Mart owns that, though admittedly their quality and user interface are beyond anything else out there.
Old 12-08-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I use Plex a lot on my Roku. The software is more frequently updated than it is on most Blu-ray players. Also there is a wider variety of apps that you can keep adding to.

Also the Roku Search function is awesome.
Old 12-09-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Related question -- I have a Sony TV with internet; basically have only used it for Netflix (and tried out Amazon). I suppose there is no way to search and look for other apps (like with google play on an Android)? Just the apps they already have in the Sony Entertainment Network when you pull that up?
Old 12-09-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Depends on the TV, some have app stores, others do not.