Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Windows Phone 8 (and 7.x?) App Talk

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts
Windows Phone 8 (and 7.x?) App Talk

Let's see how much activity this thread gets. I'm a newcomer to Windows Phone 8 (coming from Android 4.x, and iOS 4.x before that) and am curious about what other WP8 users might be playing. I have loaded a total of two old favorites on my Lumia 520 so far:

Words With Friends - I thankfully have not experienced any of the crashing issues mentioned in the reviews yet, although the WP version is noticeably slower than both the Android and iOS versions.

breakeroids - This combination of Asteroids and Breakout fast became my second favorite iOS game, and I was pleasantly surprised to find a WP version. No issues with gameplay, speed, or stability, and well worth the $0.99.

I will probably grab Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, and Angry Birds for my toddler (mostly) at some point, but I'm interested in hearing about WP exclusives as well (although I must admit that I have no interest in stuff like Halo: Spartan Assault).
Old 12-05-13, 03:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Windows Phone 8 (and 7.x?) App Talk

I really like:
Taptitude - mini games, all in one place.
Wordament - create words from random letters.
Mirror's Edge (like the 360 game, but much much simpler)
Eyez - puzzle-solving platformer. Reminds me of Braid, but... not.
Halo: Spartan Assault - I'm not a Halo guy, but this is simple, easy fun. Top-down, shoot everything, etc.
Old 12-05-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sweet a thread for three of us!

I'm hooked on Rail Rush right now. Think Subway Surfer or Sonic Dash but with a mine cart.
Old 12-05-13, 05:42 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Surface 2 Tablet..so this thread will be nice. I've enjoyed Wordament.. though I play that on my iPhone as well.
I'm not sure if these are on the phone as well. I'd assume they are...

Some other games I like Taptiles, Team Crossword, Microsoft Mahjong, The Gunstringer: Dead Man Running.
Old 12-05-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently enjoying The Machine in small doses (Arcade Mode anyway)
Old 12-05-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
Some other games I like Taptiles, Team Crossword, Microsoft Mahjong, The Gunstringer: Dead Man Running.
FWIW, I couldn't find any of these on the WP8 marketplace.
Old 12-05-13, 08:35 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
FWIW, I couldn't find any of these on the WP8 marketplace.
I kind of figured that.. they are probably Surface only. Fun games.. but I can see how they might not work on a smaller screen.
Old 12-05-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Actually, they are Windows 8 apps.
Old 12-06-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I play a lot of the usual stuff you find on iPhone or Android. I like Wordament. Shuffle Party is ok. If you are linked to your XBox account, it's some easy Achievement points.
Old 12-19-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Subway Surfers finally hit. Never spent a dime on the iOS version but decided to drop the $5 for double coins since I'm starting over.
Old 12-27-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gambit
If you are linked to your XBox account, it's some easy Achievement points.
I could use some further explanation on how this works. (Keep in mind that the last new console I purchased was the Gamecube. ) I'm considering a 360 now that new ones are showing up at $100 (at Micro Center) and will likely continue to drop in price, but I am completely clueless as to how Windows Phone and the 360 complement each other.
Old 12-27-13, 11:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

It's simple. Windows Phone, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Windows 8 (sort of) require you to create a Live account to sign-in and buy or play games. As long as you're using the same account for all of these devices, playing games on any of them will add to your Gamerscore and achievements. In some cases, like Halo: Spartan Assault, your game saves are also cross-compatible, so you can play a level on your phone, then later play it on your tablet or console without having to repeat the same level.
Old 12-28-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just upgraded from a very old LG android phone to a Nokia 520 with Windows 8. I do the prepaid route so I can't get the latest and greatest phones but I am pretty happy with my purchase(especially since I got it for 80 bucks, on sale for half price).

To be honest I almost returned it at the get go as it was such a change from using an android phone(plus I use a Google Nexus 7 tab), and I found it confusing. I do own an Xbox so the cross usage is kinda neat.

What's a good way to go for music? I've never tried the Xbox one as I don't like that I won't own any music so if I'm no longer subscribing, I have nothing? Can you at least download the music so you don't have to stream it constantly? I use WiFi at home but at work I am very limited data wise.
Old 01-26-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Grrr... been playing Temple Run 2 and it just crashed on me during an epic run (20m + 20k coins). It's crashed a few times, always during longer runs. Imagini really needs to figure out how to save during a run. All that progress just out the window.
Old 01-28-14, 09:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Strata.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0u9gb_srhfw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't know how long it's been available on WP8, but it's absolutely worth picking up at $0.99 right now.

Originally Posted by astrochimp
What's a good way to go for music? I've never tried the Xbox one as I don't like that I won't own any music so if I'm no longer subscribing, I have nothing? Can you at least download the music so you don't have to stream it constantly? I use WiFi at home but at work I am very limited data wise.
XBox Music isn't bad. Go for the free trial and see how you like it. Personally, I used it for a bit but went back to Spotify again. XBM had some albums that Spotify didn't, but it felt like Spotify had more albums that XBM didn't. Both services let you download playlists to use them offline, but only if you pay the subscription fee of $10/month, which is worth every penny regardless of which service you use.

Last edited by Dan; 01-28-14 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up doing the trial for Xbox music but I didn't renew.

Just been ripping my own stuff and listening to that.
Old 01-30-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been getting some mileage out of a few of the Microsoft Studios games. Wordament is great, although I am still pretty average at it. Microsoft Mahjong isn't bad, either. AlphaJax, on the other hand, is pretty frustrating. Yeah, I know it's free and Words With Friends isn't, but it just looks and plays "cheap" in comparison, which is probably why all of the random opponents it assigns don't even bother taking a turn.
Old 05-11-14, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Wordament team has released a great new free game called Snap Attack. It's similar to Wordament in that everyone has the same letters to use for making words, but the difference is that it's played on a Scrabble-like board with some existing words to build on. You must use and reuse the same letters for each 2:30 round, making as many single and/or multiple words as you can.

Since I play Words with Friends and Words by Post more than anything else, I'm already much more successful at this game than I ever could be at Wordament. It's fairly easy to rack up higher scores by using all letters in conjunction with the double and triple letter and word squares, especially when you can just move one letter to make another two-letter word and get points for all words again since it's treated as a new combo. Highly recommended, and the price can't be beat.
Old 05-12-14, 10:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Nice. I've downloaded it and hope to check it out in my spare time.

I've completed Strata. All levels, all Perfect (no reverse-moves). I LOVE that game. Seriously, y'all should check it out. It's on iOS and Android, too.