Reload this Page >

The Flash (CW) -- Spinoff of Arrow -- Coming this Fall

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-19-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

While Marvel and Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS ) struggle with hardcore fans' desire to see more superheroics in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., DC Entertainment and Time Warner (NYSE: TWX ) have upgraded their plans for the Flash.

According to Deadline.com, DC Entertainment and the CW now plan a stand-alone pilot for a show starring Glee actor Grant Gustin in the title role. He was to be introduced in episodes 8 and 9 of Arrow as Central City police investigator Barry Allen and then reemerge as the Flash in episode 20, a backdoor pilot to a potential spinoff series.

Gustin's first two appearances in Arrow as Allen remain on the books. But his first appearance as the Flash will come in the pilot, a decision CW executives made after seeing cuts of him in action in Arrow. Both appearances were "very well received", Deadline reports. For his part, Arrow star Stephen Amell took to his Facebook News Feed to celebrate the news

The CW's decision to fund a stand-alone Flash pilot comes at an interesting time for both Disney and Warner. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has taken lumps for not being more like Marvel's The Avengers, which partly inspired and informed the show. Viewership has fallen with each successive episode even as the show remains a hit with men aged 18-49.

Arrow, meanwhile, is nailing the bull's-eye by introducing new characters with strong ties to the DC Comics universe, including Black Canary, Brother Blood, China White, and the Bronze Tiger. The latest episode, "Keep Your Enemies Closer," featured the assassin Deadshot and ranks as season two's most-watched. Arrow creators Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Andrew Kreisberg seem bent on giving us as much comic book goodness as we can handle.

A Flash pilot could also hasten development of the DC Cinematic Universe and get us closer to seeing key characters such as Wonder Woman on the big screen. And of course, the more characters there are, the more likely it is we'll see a team-up film (i.e., The Justice League) following 2015's sequel to Man of Steel, which DC has taken to calling Batman vs. Superman. DC fans and Time Warner investors can only hope.

Do you agree? Or would you rather have seen the Flash emerge as a more direct spinoff of Arrow?

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...of-shield.aspx
Old 11-19-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episode

But Marvel is doing the same thing w/ the Daredevil, Iron Fist, Power Man, Jessica Jones series on Netflix. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.
Old 11-19-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episode

DC has always done much better than Marvel when it came to Television and Animation.

But with movies? Marvel is kicking DC's ass up and down the block for drill, without even breaking a sweat.

And I say that as a long-time, long-suffering DC fan
Old 11-19-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So rewrite for episode 20
Old 11-19-13, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but it's The Flash.
Old 11-19-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
But Marvel is doing the same thing w/ the Daredevil, Iron Fist, Power Man, Jessica Jones series on Netflix. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.
The point is that Agents of SHIELD is suffering from the fact that no recognizable Marvel superheros have appeared. Also, Marvel's deal is with Netfix, a subscription based service. Arrow and Flash will be on network television.

So no, Marvel is not doing "the same thing."
Old 11-19-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by madcougar
The point is that Agents of SHIELD is suffering from the fact that no recognizable Marvel superheros have appeared. Also, Marvel's deal is with Netfix, a subscription based service. Arrow and Flash will be on network television.

content is content. it doesn't matter where it airs anymore.
Old 11-19-13, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
DC has always done much better than Marvel when it came to Television and Animation.

But with movies? Marvel is kicking DC's ass up and down the block for drill, without even breaking a sweat.

Same here. I'm a hardcore DC fanboy, and I would trade my soul for a DC Cinematic Universe that is as well done as the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Old 11-19-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Strafe
Yeah but it's The Flash.

I like Flash and will probably watch it.
Old 11-19-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Same here. I'm a hardcore DC fanboy, and I would trade my soul for a DC Cinematic Universe that is as well done as the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Agreed. I like the Marvel movies a lot more than the comics.
Old 11-19-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
content is content. it doesn't matter where it airs anymore.
The difference being there's no measurable way to compare a show on Netflix as opposed to SHIELD or Arrow that are broadcast on regular television. So for all we know, the audience for any of the new Marvel shows will be a small percentage of those who watch, and are constantly disappointed by, SHIELD.
Old 11-19-13, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
Agreed. I like the Marvel movies a lot more than the comics.
I liked Marvel in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but 90s Marvel peeved me off so much I dropped them completely and have never gone back. I don't regret the decision one bit when I hear about stuff like Sins Past or One More Day. I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I don't have any desire to ever get back into Marvel comics.

DC has done a lot of stupid stuff too, but never to the degree of peeving me off that much.
Old 11-19-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Overload.

I'm growing tired of superheroes.

I also used to crave a good zombie flick back in the late 90's. Look at where we are with that.
Old 11-19-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Pics released from 1st Arrow ep with Flash

Old 11-19-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

agree 100%
Old 11-19-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

The difference being there's no measurable way to compare a show on Netflix as opposed to SHIELD or Arrow that are broadcast on regular television. So for all we know, the audience for any of the new Marvel shows will be a small percentage of those who watch, and are constantly disappointed by, SHIELD.
what does that have to do with anything? the ratings are irrelevant. quality is relevant. if these shows are as good of quality as Arrow is now, then it doesn't matter where these Marvel shows air.
Old 11-19-13, 02:10 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's a moot comparison unless DC actually uses these versions of Green Arrow and Flash in their Justice League film (or in related big screen DC content). Looking back at Smallville/Superman Returns they were treated as separate worlds. If they turn around and have someone else playing the 'film Flash', then these shows aren't in the shared continuity and will come off as the DC 'B-universe', regardless of quality.
Old 11-19-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

These shows aren't suppose to appear until 2015 (at least that's what I heard) and they may only be one-season shows. Unless Netflix raises the subscription prices or the shows end up on TV at some point, I don't see Netflix being able to fund four multi-seasoned shows.

My problem with Agents of SHIELD is, besides the Marvel name and a few references to other Marvel movies, it feels like a generic, sci-fi spy show. I would really like for more characters and villains from the comics to be introduced.

Originally Posted by taffer
I liked Marvel in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but 90s Marvel peeved me off so much I dropped them completely and have never gone back. I don't regret the decision one bit when I hear about stuff like Sins Past or One More Day. I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I don't have any desire to ever get back into Marvel comics.

DC has done a lot of stupid stuff too, but never to the degree of peeving me off that much.
What did Marvel do in the 90s that pissed fans off so much? The only thing I really heard was they flooded the market with books (which I think they're kind of doing now).
Old 11-19-13, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by big e
What did Marvel do in the 90s that pissed fans off so much? The only thing I really heard was they flooded the market with books (which I think they're kind of doing now).
Oh lord don't get me started on that rant. I could be here all night.

Anyway, long story (relatively) short:

In the Spider-Man comics they have a storyline going called the Clone Saga. The Clone Saga started out decently enough, but they just dragged it on for far far too long. It went on for about two years in real time. Back then there were four main Spider-Man titles, so 4 monthly titles times 12 issues per year times 2 years equals almost 100 issues for just that one story.

It was just ridiculous how long they dragged that story out, and the reason they did so is because the marketing department told them to do so. The freaking marketing department had complete control basically. They dragged it out because it was initially selling extremely well, and they wanted to prolong it as long as possible.

Well that made the writing become a complete nonsensical mess because the writers had to keep changing their plans. In the end, the sales dropped like a rock, and the story ended with a whimper and not a bang.

Over on the X-Men side of things, the X-Men were becoming so convoluted you practically needed a PhD in X-Men to keep up. Even to this day, X-Men continuity is by far the worst in comic history. Even as big of a nerd as I am, I just roll my eyes at the thought of trying to get back into X-Men comics.

What really hurt Marvel the most was the early 90s was the peak of the speculator market where everyone was buying ten copies of every comic in the hopes they would be worth a fortune in the future. They were just catering to these speculators with endless gimmick after gimmick. At the same time, actual readers were getting pissed off and were leaving the industry. I certainly wasn't the only person that quit Marvel in the 90s. Many readers did. Then when the speculators finally left in the late 90s, there was nobody left. Marvel ended up nearly bankrupt in the late 90s.

DC did a lot of stupid stuff in the 90s too, but they were nowhere near as bad as Marvel was.
Old 11-19-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Taffer is correct, Marvel went far beyond DC in terms of speculator excess during the '90s. Outside of Superman's death storyline, DC never really went crazy with their line.
Old 11-19-13, 03:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So will this tie the TV universe to the movie universe? Will this be the same actor/character that shows up in an eventual justice league movie?
Old 11-19-13, 03:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've said for a while that Arrow was a better platform for a shared DC universe than MoS or TDK, and it's nice to see DC embracing that.
Old 11-19-13, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Taffer is correct, Marvel went far beyond DC in terms of speculator excess during the '90s. Outside of Superman's death storyline, DC never really went crazy with their line.
Don't forget the Knightfall/Knightquest/KnightsEnd trilogy.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I've said for a while that Arrow was a better platform for a shared DC universe than MoS or TDK, and it's nice to see DC embracing that.
I haven't seen that much of Arrow, but from what I have seen its more "grounded in reality" than Nolan's Batman. I just don't see how other more supernatural superheroes can fit with that.
Old 11-19-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't forget that in the 90s, Marvel also bought Heroes World Distribution to exclusively release their comics outside of Diamond (and Capital City Distribution). With 30 to 40% of their overall sales reduced, Diamond started to sign the rest of the comic publishers to exclusive deals with them. This killed Capital City and forced several smaller publishers to disappear over night.

Heroes World was horribly managed and ended up dying a slow and painful death that, along with the spectator bubble bursting, caused the closure of hundreds of comic shops. It was the near-collapse of the entire Comic Book Industry.

Marvel went in to bankruptcy soon after and Diamond was left as the industry's sole distributor.
Old 11-19-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So essentially Rob Liefeld's to blame?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.