TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boardwalk Empire -- "Havre de Grace" -- 11/17/13

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Boardwalk Empire -- "Havre de Grace" -- 11/17/13

Synopsis:

Nucky takes inventory after being warned of a skunk in his cellar. On the lam following a close call, Chalky and Daughter (Margot Bingham) take refuge outside Wilmington with Oscar Boneau (Louis Gossett, Jr.), his mentor from years ago. Gillian considers selling her mansion and starting a new life with Roy Phillips (Ron Livingston).

Written by Howard Korder; directed by Allen Coulter.

Episode 11 of 12

Preview:

<iframe src="http://www.hbo.com/data/content/global/videos/embed/data/1351257.html?height=480&width=640" height="480" width="640" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" frameborder="0" type="text/html"></iframe>
Old 11-17-13, 11:04 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- "Havre de Grace" -- 11/17/13

I did not see that coming with Gillian!
Old 11-18-13, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

I did, and I didn't. We knew something was up with Ron Livingston, so it seemed odd that suddenly things were seemingly going well for Gillian.

Too bad there's only one episode left for this season. It seems like there's too much going on at this point to end the season.
Old 11-18-13, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

You knew something was up with Livingstone's character, but they did a great job with the lead up. Once they were in the garage and the Hewson guy came stumbling along I figured it was a setup.

Another great episode. Looking forward to see how they are going to fit what has to be a lot of story into next week.
Old 11-18-13, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspected it might be the Pinkertons. Didn't think it was the old bald guy who was behind it though. Thought it was the dead kids friend.

When you already had that in your mind it was pretty obvious that he was trying to get her to confess to something.
Old 11-18-13, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uncle Junie and his muttonchops win again. Personally, I'm fine if we've seen the last of Jillian.

Nice to see Oscar's nephew show some stones...are we to assume the checkers loser gave up Chalky's location, or Daughter herself?

Yes, a ton of loose ends to tie next week, especially since Chicago will need its own time as Knox can't loop them in with the East Coasters.
Old 11-18-13, 08:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I found this episode a bit boring -

Until I read this thread, I didn't know Uncle Junie was the one who paid for the Pinkerton investigation. I could see the dead boy's family being able to afford one detective, but at the end there were 4 of them and that requires some real cash $$$ (so I see how Uncle June comes into this)

I knew something was up with Livingston - I thought he was a scam artist, or some agent trying to get intel on the mob.

Glad to see Jillian go. Now we can spend more time in Chicago, and NY !!
Old 11-18-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, two weeks with no Chicago is kind of odd, but I liked this episode.

I honestly feel a little bad about Gillian (can't believe I'm writing that), they finally set her up to be moving on, only to bring it all to a quick halt. I have a feeling this isn't the end of her storyline, I imagine word will circle back to those investigating Nucky and Gillian will have lots of tales to tell.

It looks like Chalky thinks Nucky betrayed him. Curious to see where that goes. Did his fling actually run away, or is she dead? I got kind of confused and couldn't understand half the characters were saying in those scenes.
Old 11-18-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this is the end of the Gillian story, what a waste of time. Should have just killed her last season.
Old 11-18-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was bored during the Chalky scenes. I'm sick of seeing his always pissed-off self take up screen time from other more interesting characters. I'm glad they finally let the boon drop on Gillian. She definitely had it coming. Am interested in getting back to Capone/Van Alden now.
Old 11-18-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Not that I want to see much more of Gillian, but I hope her arrest leads to her blabbing about Nucky killing Jimmy or something that threatens Nucky. Otherwise, it would be a waste to give this amount of time to a minor character/storyline the last 2 seasons just to have her arrested an end her time on the show. They could've just killed her off 2 seasons ago or have her move away with Tommy after Jimmy died.

Isn't Mickey supposed to be dead by now?
Old 11-18-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm fine with Gillian's story ending like that. It's sort of bittersweet to see her go down even though her story dragged the show down. There's no need to bring her back next season.

As much as I want to see more Chicago, I'm really more interested in how the Jersey stuff plays out. Nucky wanting out of the florida deal could lead to some interesting conclusions. I imagine that this might be the end of Eli.
Old 11-19-13, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I was bored during the Chalky scenes. I'm sick of seeing his always pissed-off self take up screen time from other more interesting characters. I'm glad they finally let the boon drop on Gillian. She definitely had it coming. Am interested in getting back to Capone/Van Alden now.
Taking up time from who? If you are whining about Chicago they don't show Chicago that much anyway. If you're sick of it stop watching the show because he's an important part for the show more important than Capone/Van Alden who really aren't connected with the majority of the characters on the show anyway. I know this is something people like you can't get over but Capone/Van Alden/Chicago aren't all that.
Old 11-19-13, 11:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought at the end of the show, Nucky's revelation was going to be that he needed to worry about his brother's allegiance, rather than wanting to "get out."
Old 11-19-13, 11:50 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

I think Nucky is going to have Eli setup the meeting, and not show up.
He realised when he said the little Poem that it didn't upset Eli, and is now pretty sure that he is the rat.
Old 11-19-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't think anyone is going to show up to the meeting. Or they might have the meeting in a different location. Nucky is clearly testing Eli and he'll know one way or the other if his brother can be trusted.
Old 11-19-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB
He realised when he said the little Poem that it didn't upset Eli, and is now pretty sure that he is the rat.
Yea, that's what I thought as well. Teasing Eli about the poem always made him mad in the past according to Nucky... and earlier in the evening he burst out at his wife when talking about the "Insurance guy" and said he just hated being teased was all. Nucky was testing him with the poem - his reaction would give him a better idea of where Eli stands.
Old 11-19-13, 04:06 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

I can't believe that was the 2nd last episode!
Old 11-19-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I did not see that coming with Gillian!
Amazing con job by the Insurance company. Really well done.
Old 11-19-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Then there's the new Margaret/Rothstein alliance, though maybe that's something more for next season? Hard to figure how it could tie in with everything else at the moment.
Old 11-19-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the advice, but I'll continue watching just the same. Feel free to put me on your ignore list if you don't care for my opinions.
Old 11-19-13, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Thanks for the advice, but I'll continue watching just the same. Feel free to put me on your ignore list if you don't care for my opinions.
Well be prepared when someone disagrees with your opinion to comment on it and I'll do it again if need be.
Old 11-22-13, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheStoicPaisano
Nice to see Oscar's nephew show some stones...are we to assume the checkers loser gave up Chalky's location, or Daughter herself?
I'm pretty sure if was the checkers guy that had a "date".

It feels like the setup is Chalky will attempt to kill Nucky. Nucky talks his way out of it and says Narcisse is going to be at this meeting. Chalky and Richard take out Narcisse, Knox, and Eli. Only problem is that Masseria is supposed to be there as well and you can't kill him there unless they want to change history.
Old 11-22-13, 07:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I gotta believe we finally see Capone take full control, and Richard who appreciated the comments and supprt from Chalky, will have to come to his aid somehow right? You know they want Richard kicking some butt along with Capone.