Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghost: The TV Series -- From the Producers of Fringe -- In development by Paramount

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ghost: The TV Series -- From the Producers of Fringe -- In development by Paramount

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/para...n-movie-ghost/

This marks the first project to come out of Paramount‘s re-launched television division and signals its plans to mine the studio’s movie library and team with experienced film and TV writers for series adaptations. Oscar winner Akiva Goldsman and veteran showrunner Jeff Pinkner will co-write a pilot script based on the hit 1990 film Ghost, which won Oscars for best original screenplay (Bruce Joel Rubin) and supporting actress (Whoopi Goldberg). (Watch the “Unchained Melody” music video for the paranormal thriller/tearjerker after the jump.) Directed by Jerry Zucker, Ghost follows the recently deceased Sam Wheat (Swayze), who teams up with a psychic (Goldberg) in an effort to reconnect with his fiancee (Demi Moore) and avenge his murder. “We are thrilled to collaborate with Akiva and Jeff, two deeply creative and accomplished talents, on the television adaptation of this classic supernatural drama,” said Paramount TV president Amy Powell.

Paramount first dipped its toe in the TV waters last season when it joined Sony TV on the Beverly Hills Cop pilot, also based on a hit Paramount movie. It formally launched a TV unit in July. (Paramount has been without a TV studio since the 2005 Viacom-CBS split.) CAA-repped Goldsman’s credits include the upcoming Winter’s Tale, which marks his directorial debut, A Beautiful Mind, and I Am Legend. WME-repped Pinkner recently co-wrote Spiderman for Sony Pictures, and in TV, he spent the past nine seasons on Fringe and Alias.

Most of you probably know who Akiva Goldsman is. He was also a writer, Producer and Director on Fringe. Jeff Pinkner was Fringe's co-showrunner for seasons 1-4.
Old 11-13-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ghost: The TV Series -- From the Producers of Fringe -- In development by Paramou

I'll admit I liked the movie, but I can't see how this would work as a TV show.
Old 11-13-13, 10:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Ghost: The TV Series -- From the Producers of Fringe -- In development by Paramou

This would be good as an anthology series where we follow around different ghosts that follow the rules established in the movie. This would be bad if it's nothing but pottery montages week after week.
Old 11-13-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

^ Ditto.
Old 11-13-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This would be good as an anthology series where we follow around different ghosts that follow the rules established in the movie. This would be bad if it's nothing but pottery montages week after week.
Would it though?
Old 11-13-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good god.... why?
Old 11-13-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Hollywood never learns from past mistakes.
Old 11-13-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

No joke, the last movie adapted into a TV show from that era has only made it 5 seasons so far.
Old 11-13-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I could see this being developed like the old CBS shows "Early Edition" or "Medium" It would be the hero helping a new person each week and have a procedural aspect. Sam character is murdered, comes back as a ghost, meets the eccentric person who can hear him, they end up working together each week. I think the other apect would be him meeting the people in this ghost world and following the rules like the movie. It would be a mix of Early Edition, Ghost Whisperer and Medium. While the underlying story will be him trying to find out who killed him.

CBS would eat that up in a hearbeat and they would probably spend the money to license Unchained Melody as the theme.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-13-13 at 01:57 PM.