Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST: Music Talk DOs & DON'Ts

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 03:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New members and, er.... others may be unaware of the following which is shamelessly adapted from an excellent document composed by Static Cling to whom… our thanks!
What is a threadcrap?
A "threadcrap" is a term we've come to use here at DVD Talk for a post (usually negative) that is off the topic of the thread in which it is posted, or criticizes/ridicules the thread starter or the thread itself. Threadcraps usually have no reasoning behind them, but this is not always the case. This definition is not meant to be all inclusive, but it is meant to give you a general idea of what the term means. Ultimately, the moderators hold the final word on what is or is not a threadcrap.

Can you give me an example?
One commonly seen threadcrap is someone posting that "___________ is a crappy artist/album/song" in a thread dedicated to information about the artist/album etc. The point of the thread isn't really to discuss the quality of the artist, but to present information about him/her/them etc

Another commonly seen threadcrap is quoting someone else's post and saying "You're an idiot for saying that!" If you think someone's wrong, point out the correct information or provide your interpretation of events without attacking the other person.

What's the big deal about threadcraps?
The purpose of the DVD Talk Forum is discussion. Threadcraps interfere with the flow of discussion. Something that goes against the purpose of the forum and rudely interrupts a discussion between members has no place on this forum.

What should I do if I think I see a threadcrap?
1. Don't reply to it with a snide (or otherwise) remark. Although it's often fun , it just leaves more for moderators to clean up afterwards. And since it's a reply to an off-topic comment, the reply itself is probably off-topic, so it doesn't belong in the thread either.

2. Do click on the "Report this post to a moderator" link that is in the post. An e-mail will be sent the moderators of the forum, and they will decide on what action to take. This could be anywhere from nothing (if the post is actually on-topic) to a suspension or banning (for repeat offenders), or anything in between.

And, lest we forget, simple criticism isn't automatically thread-crapping.

Appendix

What do I do if I feel that one of my posts was wrongly deleted as a threadcrap?

1. Don't post about it in the thread. It's possible that the moderator who deleted your post will never read that thread again, so he won't see your concern and/or complaint. In addition, if the first post wasn't off topic, this second post about the first post definitely is.

2. If you'd like, do e-mail that moderator directly about the post. You are much, much more likely to get a response if you send an e-mail to the moderator.

A top tip for anyone dipping into this thread for insights as to how to win friends and influence people:
  • If a moderator/admin closes a thread because of something you said, think twice about starting a duplicate.
  • If a moderator/admin closes a duplicate thread and says "no more", think twice about posting the same thing in a pre-existing thread.
More often that not, reading between the lines is not necessary: the actual words themselves are all the clue that is needed.

From “The Rules”:
Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email at [email protected]. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time-frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.
Note: DVD Talk has a zero tolerance policy for personal attacks. Posting something to the DVD Talk forum which personally attacks another forum member or contains profanity or any type of racial or ethnic slur may result in immediate suspension of your user account
If you have a beef with a poster &/or his posting style:
  • First consider that some people might like the music he/she is talking about so don't crap in his/her threads. You don't like it when people do it to you.
  • If the forum feels overrun with threads on one topic or band/artist/album use the "Report this Post" link in preference to bumping the very threads you profess to dislike.
Problem with a moderating decision? The long-standing rule is that you take it to email.

Posting about banned or suspended members is also frowned on here. Don't do it. Please.