Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Brand/Property will Disney Buy Next?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What Brand will Disney purchase next?
Hasbro
53.85%
Movie Rights for Spiderman/X-men
23.08%
Nintendo
7.69%
Lego
7.69%
TMNT
7.69%
DC
23.08%
Other
15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So Disney has bought Lucasfilms and Marvel.

There was rumblings last summer that Disney was going to buy Hasbro and its properties.

So in your opinion what Brand/Property will Disney Buy Next? Their recent purchases seems to target brands that are popular across several different mediums of entertainment (Toys/video games/movies etc).

Here are possible contenders:

Hasbro - Access to Transformers/GI Joe Movie Franchises, toys, Wizards of the Coast (Including popular Magic and Dungeons and Dragons Brands)

X-Men/Spider Man - Movie rights back to these Marvel Franchises

Lego - Rights to toys/video games/Parks/Movies

Nintendo - Toys/Video games. Iconic characters that Disney can utilize in new movies/video games (Mario and Gang in a pixar movie?). Mario Land at Disneyland? Mario and Yoshi in Disney Infinity etc.

DC - Dare to dream DC vs Marvel movies?

TMNT - Toys/possible movie franchise/cartoons/video games

Others?

Most of these are far-fetched obviously. I can definitely see Disney wanting to buy Hasbro, they produce all of Marvel/Star Wars toys. Plus Disney wants to get into more of the teen boy market.

Obviously
Old 10-29-13, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What Brand/Property will Disney Buy Next?

Hasbro - Possible. That'd give Disney a heck of a lot of properties. Hasbro's been doing very well the past couple years and expect a strong future with TF4 and Episode VII on the horizon.

X-Men/Spider-Man/FF - I can only hope. But it seems too late to integrate these properties into the current cinematic universe so I doubt it would be a profitable move.

Lego - Keep Disney away from my Legos! I can't see Lego being sold to anyone. They're doing quite well on their own.

Nintendo - Interesting concept as both are family friendly companies. With Nintendo being Japan-based, I doubt it would happen.

DC - Nope.

TMNT - Don't see why this couldn't happen.

Since Disney likes franchises, what about Hanna Barbera? Could Disney revive those characters for a new generation?
Old 10-29-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Hasbro is a viable option since Disney was sniffing around it.

Don't see Disney spending the money required to get the X-Men and Spider-Man franchises back into the Marvel camp.
Old 10-29-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nickeloden paid a a ton of dough for TMNT to outright own the specific characters, so don't expect Disney to swoop in.

I would think of all the options listed Hasbro would be most likely.
Old 10-29-13, 02:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I hope the Hasbro rumors are true. I want to see a movie where Mr. Potato Head teams up with Jar Jar Binks to take down Ursula the Sea Witch.
Old 10-29-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

If by "take down" you mean "go down on" then... nah, I wouldn't want to see that.
Old 10-29-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think Disney will buy Eon Productions, so they can own James Bond.
Old 10-29-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

None? I think they will need to see some money back to recoup the Marvel/LucasFilm purchases first and recoup from their failure franchise efforts of John Carter and Lone Ranger.
Old 10-29-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think Disney will buy Eon Productions, so they can own James Bond.
MGM would be very desperate to do that.
Old 10-29-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Vivid Entertainment
Old 10-29-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Red Shoe Diaries, while David Duchovny is still young enough to be cast.
Old 10-29-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever they can until they own everything, lets not forget the Hong Kong films they own and have irreparably messed up. DC is owned by WB, so I'm thinking probably not that, and Fox isn't going to give up the X-Men and Spider-Man right, and are probably locking horns with them about the Star Wars trilogy right now. Nintendo and Lego are probably big enough to make it on their own. Hasbro already have ties to Star Wars, so that is possible, but since the film franchise is owned by Paramount, I'm sure they might not be so charitable. In the 20 years, Disney will probably own the phlegm I cough up when I sneeze.
Old 10-29-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Playboy.
Old 10-30-13, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

No way they buy LEGO or Nintendo. They're both foreign companies worth billions on their own. There would be zero upside for them to sell to Disney.

Hasbro makes the most sense. Have any Hasbro toys popped up in Toy Story? They had a generic transformer in the Toy Story of Terror. That would have been the easiest place to move in.

Spiderman & Xmen don't really make sense either. They technically already bought these characters. They just can't do anything with them under current contracts. Why spend more money when they'll get them back eventually?

I think most likely candidates would be other animation houses like Dreamworks or Blue Sky.
Old 10-30-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I hope Hasbro. That way I can finally see a Transformers versus G.I. Joe movie. In a perfect world, it would be directed by Guillermo Del Toro.
Old 10-30-13, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

There is no chance in hell that Disney could purchase DC Comics and its properties from Warner. Japanese companies like Nintendo are fiercely nationalistic and there is no realistic scenario where it would be sold to a foreign company.

Hasbro and Lego are the likeliest options on the list.
Old 10-30-13, 01:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by devilshalo
None? I think they will need to see some money back to recoup the Marvel/LucasFilm purchases first and recoup from their failure franchise efforts of John Carter and Lone Ranger.
Yeah, cause I guess that 1+ billion from Avengers alone wasn't enough yet.
Old 10-30-13, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I could see Disney acquiring Hasboro.

Lego... no. I'm sure Disney probably wouldn't mind acquiring the company, but I don't see them selling out.

DC Comics... no. The only way the Mouse will get his paws on DC Comics is if they somehow buy Warners.

Nintendo... no. The only way I can see this happening is if the company starts losing its ass and goes bankrupt.
Old 10-30-13, 06:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Not when Star Wars cost them 4 billion.

Also that billion from Avengers isn't pure profit. Its just the revenue. You have to subtract out the costs.

As for Disney buying other movie rights:

Why would they want Nintendo? Video games almost never make good movies. Mario is a good game, but remember that horrid Mario movie...

X-Men/Spider-Man - No way is Fox and Sony ever going to let these properties go. Their asking price would be way too high to be economically feasible.

TMNT - Nickelodeon just paid a huge bundle a few years ago to purchase them from Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. Nickelodeon isn't going to let TMNT go anytime soon. Again the asking price would be way too high.

DC Comics - Umm, a monopoly is never a good thing. Sure its not exactly a monopoly, but Marvel and DC together control 80% of the comic market. It would be pretty close to a monopoly.

Wizards of the Coast - This one actually makes the most sense. With the success and popularity of Peter Jackson's LOTR, I'm really kind of surprised some D&D movies haven't tried to copycat the success. The Drizzt D&D novels in particular are extremely popular. Even outside the D&D crowd, many people read the Drizzt novels as they constantly make the New York Times bestseller lists. It surprises me that Drizzt hasn't been made into movies yet.
Old 10-30-13, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
$4.2b + $4b = $8.2 billion

Where I come from $1b isn't quite enough to cover those two purchases.
Old 10-30-13, 06:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
$4.2b + $4b = $8.2 billion

Where I come from $1b isn't quite enough to cover those two purchases.
I know Star Wars cost them 4 billion. Marvel cost them 4 billion as well? Damn. Disney has some deep pockets.

The interesting thing is that Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII, and IX could each make a billion dollars in pure profit, and they still wouldn't have recouped all their costs of the acquisition. Its going to take more than one trilogy just for them to break even.
Old 10-30-13, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I know Star Wars cost them 4 billion. Marvel cost them 4 billion as well? Damn. Disney has some deep pockets.

The interesting thing is that Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII, and IX could each make a billion dollars in pure profit, and they still wouldn't have recouped all their costs of the acquisition. Its going to take more than one trilogy just for them to break even.
But Star Wars is more than just the films. Between money from action figures, video games and other merchandising they'll probably be in the black after one trilogy.
Old 10-30-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also not mentioned is Disney buying the Muppets a few years before these two acquisitions. It was a slow build, but that turned out fairly well once they got the new film off the ground.
Old 10-30-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Which Disney has more than accomplished with Avengers, Iron Man 3, Monsters University, etc. They're flush with cash from their big blockbusters, more than offsetting the losses from their two huge bombs.
Old 10-30-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Plus they have Frozen and Thor coming around the corner. There's also a Planes sequel being planned (theatrically).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.