TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Once Upon a Time -- "Good Form" -- 10/27/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Once Upon a Time -- "Good Form" -- 10/27/13

Synopsis:

HOOK TAKES A DYING DAVID ON A JOURNEY TO FIND A MAP THAT COULD LEAD THEM OFF NEVERLAND, AND IN THE FAIRY TALE LAND OF THE PAST, HOOK AND HIS BROTHER SAIL TO AN UNCHARTED LAND TO FIND A POWERFUL HEALING PLANT, ON ABC'S "ONCE UPON A TIME"

"Good Form" - With the deadly Dreamshade coursing through David's body and close to death, Hook takes him on one last journey to find a sextant that could help them decipher a map that would lead them off Neverland. Meanwhile, in the Fairy Tale Land that was, Killian Jones - aka Hook - and his brother, Captain Liam, sail off under orders of the King to find a powerful indigenous plant on an uncharted land that could help heal any injury, on "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, OCTOBER 27 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Once Upon a Time" stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Lana Parrilla as the Evil Queen/Regina, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David, Emilie de Ravin as Belle, Colin O'Donoghue as Hook, Michael Raymond-James as Baelfire/Neal Cassidy, Jared S. Gilmore as Henry Mills and Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold.

Guest starring are Robbie Kay as Pan, Skyler Gisondo as Devin, Bernard Curry as Liam, Parker Croft as Felix and Jordan Schartner as sailor.

"Good Form" was written by Christine Boylan & Daniel T. Thomsen and directed by Jon Amiel.

Episode 5 of 22
Old 10-27-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time -- "Good Form" -- 10/27/13

Good episode, though how quickly the crew agreed to become pirates was rather laughable. I'm sure the captain was beloved (the only way that'd work) but since we really didn't get to know any of them, the turn was rather hard to believe.

I really don't buy how easily Pan manipulates everyone. Yeah, he has magic and apparently knows everyone deep down but it comes across as mere contrivance rather than genuine manipulation. It doesn't help that the kid who plays Pan just outright sucks.
Old 10-27-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Why does everyone on this board hate Pan? He's a breath of fresh air. Wonder what other reviewers think of him.

Looks like we get The Little Mermaid next week =/
Old 10-27-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Why does everyone on this board hate Pan? He's a breath of fresh air. Wonder what other reviewers think of him.
Because the actor sucks. And, frankly, for all the buildup about him, the character has turned out to be pretty lame.

By the way, where was Tinkerbell this episode? Did she go back to her hermit cave?
Old 10-28-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Pan and Neverland. I'm enjoying this season much more than last.
Old 10-28-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
YAY!!! I'm not the only one

#TeamPan (yes, we came to the point to hashtag in forums lol)
Old 10-28-13, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't you mean Jungleland? Because they really have made no effort to make it look and feel other than some random jungle set. I get this show doesn't have the biggest budget but even the Enchanted Forest sets, as cheap s they were, looked like they at least put some effort into them.
Old 10-28-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I don't let it bother me.
Old 10-28-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

It's become a lot more streamlined and less confusing and cluttering than season 2. I also hated Taser Girl and Pan is nowhere near as annoying as her.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Don't you mean Jungleland? Because they really have made no effort to make it look and feel other than some random jungle set. I get this show doesn't have the biggest budget but even the Enchanted Forest sets, as cheap s they were, looked like they at least put some effort into them.
I agree with you here. I think the scenes where they are supposed to be in the ocean are worse though since they don't look realistic at all.
Old 10-28-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
It's become a lot more streamlined and less confusing and cluttering than season 2. I also hated Taser Girl and Pan is nowhere near as annoying as her.
There's no denying those improvements. Especially Pan versus Taser Girl. But that doesn't stop Pan from being underwhelming. And a chief problem is the weak actor chosen. The show just needs to go back to having Carlyle as the big bad and have Regina totally snap and return to being his arch nemesis.

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I agree with you here. I think the scenes where they are supposed to be in the ocean are worse though since they don't look realistic at all.
Yeah, speaking of the ocean scenes, were those pursuing ships powered by jet engines?
Old 10-28-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

There's no denying those improvements. Especially Pan versus Taser Girl. But that doesn't stop Pan from being underwhelming. And a chief problem is the weak actor chosen. The show just needs to go back to having Carlyle as the big bad and have Regina totally snap and return to being his arch nemesis.
:
I kinda missed Caryle in this episode. I actually think he has the more interesting storyline of the two groups. I did enjoy when Emma went evil and allowed Regina to rip out that Lost Boy's heart. I suspect at some point the alliance will end and Regina will go back to being evil.

The guy playing Pan is just there for me. He's not awful (like say the guy who played the big bad in Dexter) but I just don't really care about him either. For me, he is just there to move along the plot. So I think I agree with you on that point.
Old 10-28-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Good episode, though how quickly the crew agreed to become pirates was rather laughable. I'm sure the captain was beloved (the only way that'd work) but since we really didn't get to know any of them, the turn was rather hard to believe.
I had the same thought. All these people are seriously going to become pirates just like that? I'm sure that would mess up some of their lives a bit. There would be a few more reactions to the news of what the king did and what Hook wants to do.
Old 10-29-13, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The idea of Pan was good in theory, but the guy playing him is in a little over his head with the portrayal of an evil Pan.

I actually think this move to Neverland has been a good one for the show, I had grown tired of the stodgy Storybrooke set.
Old 10-29-13, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no problem with the actor playing Pan. I think he's done a much better job as a villain than Greg and Tamara.

For some reason I really want Henry to say something like "You're in trouble now. My evil stepmother is coming to rescue me!"
Old 10-29-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't mind the actor playing Peter Pan. I'm just sick of the Neverland jungle story and the endless mission to save Henry. I was glad we got a break from Rumplestilskin this week. I don't like the character or the actor playing him. I really hate how he calls everyone "deary" (even men). I was glad we got to see Hook's backstory, but I agree Killian Jones' crew all turned to piracy too quickly. Regina's part has really dwindled this season. I find it hard to believe that during this season she's had the patience to do things the way the other members of her search party want to do things (that is, without magic). I guess if she opened a can of magic whoop ass on Pan and the Lost Boys the search would end pretty quickly and the writers couldn't stretch the Neverland story for a full season.
Old 10-30-13, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I don't mind the actor playing Peter Pan. I'm just sick of the Neverland jungle story and the endless mission to save Henry. I was glad we got a break from Rumplestilskin this week. I don't like the character or the actor playing him. I really hate how he calls everyone "deary" (even men). I was glad we got to see Hook's backstory, but I agree Killian Jones' crew all turned to piracy too quickly. Regina's part has really dwindled this season. I find it hard to believe that during this season she's had the patience to do things the way the other members of her search party want to do things (that is, without magic). I guess if she opened a can of magic whoop ass on Pan and the Lost Boys the search would end pretty quickly and the writers couldn't stretch the Neverland story for a full season.
I think you may be the only person to not like Mr. Gold lol. I think if Regina turned to magic, it would actually hurt them. Pan might be a boy, but he's pretty damn powerful.
Old 10-31-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually a bit tired of Mr. Gold too. I can no longer sympathize with him at all. They need to flesh out some more Regina -- thankfully she was allowed to rip out that Lost Boy's heart in this episode.

I'm basically to the point where I'd be fine if both Charming and Snow White were killed off (Charming was such an annoying prick this entire episode), Emma ends up with Hook, and Henry and Neal leave the show.

I've been enjoying the addition of Pan. Not sure why people are commenting that the kid isn't a good actor. I think he is leaps better than what we get from people like Charming, Neal, and especially Henry.

Next week looks interesting going by who Ursula really is at least...
Old 10-31-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nightwing82
I'm actually a bit tired of Mr. Gold too. I can no longer sympathize with him at all. They need to flesh out some more Regina -- thankfully she was allowed to rip out that Lost Boy's heart in this episode.

I'm basically to the point where I'd be fine if both Charming and Snow White were killed off (Charming was such an annoying prick this entire episode), Emma ends up with Hook, and Henry and Neal leave the show.

I've been enjoying the addition of Pan. Not sure why people are commenting that the kid isn't a good actor. I think he is leaps better than what we get from people like Charming, Neal, and especially Henry.

Next week looks interesting going by who Ursula really is at least...
I do agree with your comment on Charming, but I think that's what makes his character. Let's be honest, men are hot heads and this is a perfect example of a man not doing what is right and being stupid. He's the example of a true man. As for Neal, he hasn't gotten the time to really do much. He's an interesting character that I hope we get more of. I mean, he's basically the Emma counterpart in that he hates magic, doesn't care for it, and only cares about Henry.