Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 10/26/13 H: Edward Norton MG: Janelle Monae

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SNL 10/26/13 H: Edward Norton MG: Janelle Monae

<iframe src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=n42165" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=n42243" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ed's first time hosting and I don't know Janelle, but I would wager it's her first time as musical guest.
Old 10-26-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: SNL 10/26/13 H: Edward Norton MG: Janelle Monae

I love Norton as an actor, but doing comedy just doesn't seem to gibe with his style. I expect awkward sketches and stilted line delivery.

No clue who the fuck Janelle Monae is.
Old 10-26-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I love Norton as an actor, but doing comedy just doesn't seem to gibe with his style. I expect awkward sketches and stilted line delivery.

No clue who the fuck Janelle Monae is.
Oddly enough, I just saw him in Moonrise Kingdom last night in which he was funny. Well, in the very least, the movie was funny and he didn't ruin it

I don't know who Janelle is either.

I hope I wasn't stepping on Goldberg's toes by starting this thread. I think he was traveling somewhere, so I thought I would fill in.
Old 10-26-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The movie isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think Ed Norton is hilarious in Death to Smoochy.

Looking forward to tonight. It has to be better than Bruce Willis, right?
Old 10-26-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see him being funny like Walken is funny on SNL.
Old 10-26-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Anyone else think Chloe Grace Moretz would make a great host? They should've gone with her instead.
Old 10-26-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
Anyone else think Chloe Grace Moretz would make a great host? They should've gone with her instead.
I would like to see her host. Enjoyed when she guested on 30 Rock.
Old 10-26-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a strange monologue.
Old 10-26-13, 10:54 PM

Received 807 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I hope I wasn't stepping on Goldberg's toes by starting this thread. I think he was traveling somewhere, so I thought I would fill in.
No worries... I had actually forgotten that it was a new one this week... thanks for jumping in.

... and as for Janelle Monéa, I first heard her singing on the acoustic version of fun's "We Are Young".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FQLGhPHzxjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She's pretty good.
Old 10-26-13, 10:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Oddly enough, I just saw him in Moonrise Kingdom last night in which he was funny. Well, in the very least, the movie was funny and he didn't ruin it

I don't know who Janelle is either.

but MK was 'quirky' funny, SNL is pretty lowbrow in comparison.
Old 10-26-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The Wes Anderson trailer was brilliant and Norton as Owen Wilson was fantastic.
Old 10-26-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The Wes Anderson trailer was brilliant and Norton as Owen Wilson was fantastic.
Yeah, that was good.
Old 10-26-13, 11:40 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edward Norton as Owen Wilson ruled.
Old 10-27-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The Wes Anderson trailer was the only funny thing about this episode - everything else was pretty unfunny, though not aggressively so like is usually the case.

And that "musical" guest... not sure if I'd even call that music, as it sounded more like product or commercial jingles than actual music. It made me want to buy something, something like a dishwasher.
Old 10-27-13, 05:25 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually really enjoyed this one. Probably had at least one laugh in each sketch. Safety one was hilarious, and the Wes Anderson trailer was superb. Maybe I was just in a good mood today, who knows.
Old 10-27-13, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The Wes Anderson trailer was the only funny thing about this episode - everything else was pretty unfunny, though not aggressively so like is usually the case.

And that "musical" guest... not sure if I'd even call that music, as it sounded more like product or commercial jingles than actual music. It made me want to buy something, something like a dishwasher.
Just stop man. You don't really know much about music if you think that is a commercial jingle.
Old 10-27-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I was only half paying attention to the music but it certainly didn't sound very special to me either.
Old 10-27-13, 08:54 PM

I saw her in person when she opened for Prince 2-3 years ago. She was amazing in person. In a way I am glad she has not "blown" up. Not everyone's cup of tea, but that is fine. I enjoy her music!
Old 10-28-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bootsy
Just stop man. You don't really know much about music if you think that is a commercial jingle.
It's over-produced product, not music. I don't have "bonafides", but I've played guitar/bass/drums for over 20 years in various bands, though not so much recently as my gigging days are long behind be, but I have written my fair share of music.

She's a good performer, but what she does is product, not music. If you enjoy it, that's fine, though I feel sorry for you and anyone who thinks what she does is anything beyond a commercialized product.
Old 10-28-13, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's over-produced product, not music. I don't have "bonafides", but I've played guitar/bass/drums for over 20 years in various bands, though not so much recently as my gigging days are long behind be, but I have written my fair share of music.

She's a good performer, but what she does is product, not music. If you enjoy it, that's fine, though I feel sorry for you and anyone who thinks what she does is anything beyond a commercialized product.
LOL whatever man. Reading of what little I read of it I don't really need you to lecture me about what music is and isn't. You don't have a clue.
Old 10-28-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
I can see him being funny like Walken is funny on SNL.
This skit needs more curb stomp.
Old 10-28-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

What the hell is wrong with you people? Janelle Monae is the best artist making pop music today.

It's over-produced product, not music.
Uh... no. She is one of the few artists with genuine talent and originality in pop/R&B music. Her songwriting is creative and catchy, and The ArchAndroid is one of the best concept albums I've ever listened to. Some info on the ArchAndroid:

Spoiler:
The ArchAndroid is the follow-up to Janelle Monáe's debut EP Metropolis: Suite I (The Chase) (2007) and consists of the second and third parts to her Metropolis concept series. Partly inspired by the 1927 film of the same name, the series involves the fictional tale of Cindi Mayweather, a messianic android sent back in time to free the citizens of Metropolis from The Great Divide, a secret society that uses time-travel to suppress freedom and love.

In an interview for the Chicago Tribune, Monáe said that she was inspired by the quote "The mediator between the hand and the mind is always the heart" for the record. She discussed her incorporation of the android as a metaphor for a minority, whilst being the role of the story's protagonist also. In an interview for Blues & Soul, Monáe said "she represents the MEDIATOR between the haves and the have-nots, the minority and the majority. So in that way she’s very similar to Neo, the Archangel from ‘The Matrix'. And basically her return will mean freedom for the android community".

Monáe has said about the recording sessions "Over the last year and a half when we were recording the ArchAndroid I went through a very transformative period in my life". Monáe completed the album in Atlanta at the Wondaland Studios and the famous asylum The Palace of the Dogs. Monáe has stated that the album signifies "breaking the chains that enslave minorities of all types". She has said of recording the album, "Overall, this music came from various corners of the world—from Turkey to Prague to Atlanta—places we were on tour. While recording, we’d experiment with different sounds. Once we became engulfed in the sound, we all had an emotional connection to the album. It has definitely transformed my way of thinking, the way that I approach the stage and overall, my life".

She obviously put a lot of thought into the album and is very passionate about the music she makes, to dismiss her as just pushing out product is pretty ignorant. No matter how many gigs you've personally played, you clearly know very little about Janelle Monae to describe her the way you did.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 10-28-13 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

The movie isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think Ed Norton is hilarious in Death to Smoochy.
And I thought I was the only one who thought that movie was hilarious.

The slaves sketch had a couple of chuckles.

Was Norton playing a gay guy in the Halloween candy sketch?

Norton had nothing to promote (A good thing) and he said he wanted to host SNL but he never got time until now.

I don't think Bruce Willis had any projects to promote either when he hosted.
Old 10-28-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, what a load of pretentious twaddle.
Old 10-28-13, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bootsy
LOL whatever man. Reading of what little I read of it I don't really need you to lecture me about what music is and isn't. You don't have a clue.
You're projecting. I'm sorry about your shitty taste in music. But hey, at least you're not aware of it, so there's that...
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
...you clearly know very little about Janelle Monae to describe her the way you did.
I don't think I said that I knew anything about her. Just going off of the 2 songs I heard on SNL, which had absolutely nothing to say, musically or otherwise.

I also just now looked up some of her lyrics to see if I was maybe missing something, but nope, if anything, actually reading her insipid lyrics made her even worse in my eyes. You people really like this shit? Wow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.