DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bugs!!!

Old 11-13-00, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
I've got what I imagine in an orignal one for this forum...it seems that one (please...god...only one!) of these Japanese beetles that have been running amok over much of the midwest has found its way into my TV. The TV in question is a Sony PK-43T70 rear projection unit. It's been there for a couple of days, and is kinda freaky...surfaces on the (inside of) the screen...crawls around for a bit...disappears. Comes back again in a little bit.

Any ideas on how to get it out / kill it, without dismantling the whole TV?
Old 11-14-00, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is certainly the first time I have heard of such a thing. Simply give it a day or two and wait for it to die. End of problem.
Old 11-14-00, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may be wrong, but I heard somewhere that these bugs have a pretty lengthy lifespan. Up to several months from what I've heard...but you may want to check it out.
Old 11-14-00, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the easiest would be to smash the TV open with a sledgehammer and scoop the little bugger out. Or else open up a part of the TV, and attach a vacuum hose to it. There's no many suggestions here, I can't possibly list them all..... most from the road runner and bugs bunny cartoons.
Old 11-14-00, 03:27 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by debbert:
I may be wrong, but I heard somewhere that these bugs have a pretty lengthy lifespan. Up to several months from what I've heard...but you may want to check it out.<HR>

Maybe with a food source around but I doubt the little bugger can survive without any food in a RPTV.

Old 11-14-00, 03:34 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
How about bagging the set, putting in a little insecticide, and wait a couple of days? Maybe unplug it first.

Or blast an ultrasonic insect repellent at it. Or play The Exterminator Director's Cut over and over until he gets the idea.
Old 11-14-00, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Put in a copy of Battlefield Earth or Island of Dr. Moreau. That should get anybody (or anything) to leave the room.
Old 11-14-00, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
Well, so far today...he hasn't surfaced. Here's hoping he's dead!
Old 11-14-00, 07:20 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Don't those guys, as they decompose, start putting out a putrid odor after a few days? And doesn't it last forever and attract more of them? I think I saw that on Discovery channel.