TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ravenswood -- Series Premiere (PLL spinoff) -- "Pilot" -- 10/22/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,702 Likes on 2,661 Posts
Ravenswood -- Series Premiere (PLL spinoff) -- "Pilot" -- 10/22/13

Synopsis:

In the special Halloween episode of "Pretty Little Liars," entitled "Grave New World," airing Tuesday, October 22nd (8:00 - 9:00 PM ET/PT), Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer crash the Ravenswood Founders Day Celebration after finding a clue in "A's" new lair that Ali may indeed be alive. Dressed in their finest Edwardian wear, the ladies hit the creepy cemetery party to find Ali before "A" can. But if Ali is truly alive, could the PLLs be leading "A" straight to their friend without knowing it? With Ezra lurking in the shadows, "A" may be closer than the girls realize.

Meanwhile, Caleb heads to Ravenswood to help the girls and meets kindred soul Miranda (Nicole Gale Anderson) along the way.

The mysteries continue in the series premiere of "Ravenswood," airing Tuesday, October 22nd (9:00 - 10:00 PM ET/PT). After opting to stay in Ravenswood to help out new pal Miranda, Caleb begins to rethink his decision, especially after he meets Miranda's cold and unwelcoming uncle Raymond (Steven Cabral). Caleb also has some unpleasant interactions with local resident Luke (Brett Dier), who is struggling to deal with a recent family tragedy and its ensuing scandal, which has also swept up his twin sister Olivia (Merritt Patterson).

Unnerved by what they witnessed the night of the party, and besieged by strange and supernatural occurrences, Caleb and Miranda begin to investigate this bizarre town. Their first ally is Ravenswood teen Remy (Britne Oldford), who has a keen insight to the town's peculiar history and has started connecting some troublesome dots. These five teens have no idea how connected their lives are and the plans that Ravenswood has in store for them.

10 episodes ordered

Obviously if you don't watch PLL, you're probably not going to watch this. I believe the PLL Halloween episode is part 1 and the story continues into this show.

Trailer:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WAjiicTMy6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-22-13, 03:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Ravenswood -- Series Premiere (PLL spinoff) -- "Pilot" -- 10/22/13

I'm curious how they are going to transition Caleb off PLL... wasn't he still happily dating Hanna as of the last episode?
Old 10-22-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm curious how they are going to transition Caleb off PLL... wasn't he still happily dating Hanna as of the last episode?
Yup he was. I recall he boarded a bus that was bound for Ravenswood in the summer finale.
Old 10-23-13, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Basically this is a teen version of Supernatural. Except all the supernatural stuff is happening in this small and weird town. You can't really compare this to PLL, because they are nothing alike.

I thought it was alright. Nothing to go crazy about yet, but certainly watchable. Caleb is likeable and Miranda is cute. But, it really makes no sense why he is sticking around there other than the mystery of that photo he saw with his lookalike. Meg Foster is freaking creepy looking.

The way this Pilot was set up it would be kind of hard for a completely new fan to get into this since this episode was basically Part 2 of the PLL Halloween episode.

Kind of interesting, I saw in the end credits this show is shot in Louisiana. Pretty Little Liars is shot in Los Angeles. Surprised they are shooting this so far away from the PLL set. I fully expect Ashley Benson to guest star at some point since Hannah and Caleb are still together. I bet it will happen by episode 8.

Really interesting to see some familiar faces in this episode.

Justin Bruening, who is on H50 and Grey's Anatomy right now.
Henry Simmons and Sophina Brown. They were both on Shark and are married in real life.
Old 10-23-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
The way this Pilot was set up it would be kind of hard for a completely new fan to get into this since this episode was basically Part 2 of the PLL Halloween episode.
I tried to watch it, had no idea what was going on, and turned it off after 15 minutes.
Old 10-23-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I tried to watch it, had no idea what was going on, and turned it off after 15 minutes.
Pretty Little Liars has such a convoluted backstory now that I can't imagine someone just stepping into this universe without problems. Most people checking this one out are doing so for Caleb, a minor character from Pretty Little Liars.
Old 10-24-13, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So Meg Foster gets naked on Lords of Salem, playing a creepy witch, and she gets a that creepy woman role on this show. Nice.
Old 10-24-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
As I said in my 1st post, if you don't watch Pretty Little Liars, this probably won't work for you as the main character is the boyfriend of one of the girls in PLL. A lot of the plot points carried over from the PLL Halloween episode, so you would be totally lost not seeing that episode.
Old 10-24-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Watching the pilot, I was disappointed by it. Outside of Miranda, the cast felt like Pretty Little Liars' casting rejects. There also wasn't much in it to get scared about, everything felt so gimmicky. The set-up better get good in a hurry or I could see viewers dropping out like flies.
Old 10-24-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...d-more/210898/

Ratings wise it did decent because it had Pretty a Little Liars as a leadin. 2.1 M viewers and 0.9. Let's see how it does week 2 with no PLL.
Old 10-25-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I see them pulling anywhere from 1 (low point) to 1.5 (high mark) next week. Still good compared to other shows, though. Sadly, watched this today and just kind of dragged. I'm not a big fan of Caleb and the cast didn't have much eye candy or are exciting to make me want to stick around.
Old 10-28-13, 12:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of mixed on this one. They did a good job setting up a nice creepy atmosphere. The Caleb/Miranda stuff works, and the scary old house/weird uncle/Meg Foster elements complement it well. The newspaper girl is a good idea (hopefully replacing generic 'web research' scenes). The Black Widow's kids story could go somewhere. But the standard teen drama stuff seemed to switch tones and the two worlds didn't quite mix for me.