Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drug War (2012) - D: Johnnie To - S: Louis Koo, Honglei Sun

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/du-zhan-m100106501

Hong Kong action maestro Johnnie To takes his genre filmmaking savvy to the mainland in "Drug War," a nail-biter that's... actually quite light on action but so well-scripted and shot, it's nonetheless edge-of-your-seat material. Co-penned by regular collaborator and fellow Milkyway producer Wai Ka-fai, To's procedural follows a group of Chinese cops who get a busted drug-factory owner to work with them on a complex sting operation in and around Tianjin, China's fourth-largest metropolis.
Saw this last night on Blu-Ray and I must say that I was blown away. Excellent film from start to finish. Not alot of action but one big cat and mouse chase between the good guys and the bad guys. Has elements that remind me of the films of Michael Mann, John Woo, William Friedkin and Jean-Pierre Melville. I highly recommend this film.

5/5
Old 10-22-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Drug War (2012) - D: Johnnie To - S: Louis Koo, Honglei Sun

I generally liked this film, too, esp. the way we get to know all the characters involved in the drug operation. They're real people, not cardboard movie henchmen, so when the final shootout comes, it's downright painful.

I did have a problem with the ending, though, in particular the last ten minutes or so as the shootout kept escalating and got way too melodramatic. I would have preferred a scaled-down ending--less spectacle and more drama. It didn’t have to end as bleakly as it did.

I did a lengthy post on another forum about this film and here are two paragraphs from that post, the first one freighted with questions about the Chinese police and the way they conduct an operation like this one:

I do have questions about the way Chinese police conduct operations like this. The members of the unit working this case in the film all seem to come from different places. How does that work? Are they federal police, i.e. Mainland China’s equivalent of DEA or FBI? They work together a little too smoothly and efficiently to be believable as a team quickly cobbled together from different regions. Also, they pull off a massive undercover maneuver in a sprawling port that I can’t imagine going that smoothly. Surely, somebody working on one of those boats would have tipped off the arriving drug dealers that the place was crawling with cops. All I really know about Mainland Chinese police is what I read in The New York Times about how they harass and arrest dissidents, bloggers, poets and petitioners. Never anything about operations like this one.

The acting is generally excellent. I would like to single out actress Huang Yi, who plays Xiao Bei, one of the key members of Zhang’s team, a real no-nonsense type who has to go undercover in some scenes as the flashily-dressed girlfriend of the drug dealer whom Captain Zhang is impersonating. It's not a role the character feels comfortable inhabiting. When she's in full police detective mode, she's awesome. Think a more realistic version of the character Michelle Yeoh played in SUPERCOP. The actress is very good here. I’ve never seen her in anything before. There's another good actress playing the other key female member of the team. I haven't been able to identify her.