Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Superman Comic Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Superman Comic Question

I remember a Superman comic from when i was a kid, in it the Superman Robots appeared and there were miniature versions of them. I have been trying to locate this issue(s) for a long time, but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-21-13, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Superman Comic Question

Any idea of what decade the comic was from?
Old 10-21-13, 11:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Action 276 perhaps
Old 10-21-13, 11:34 AM

long thread with cool info buried here
Old 10-21-13, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

As it happens, I'm friends with Craig "Mr. Silver Age" Shutt and Bob "Answer Man" Rozakis, along with at least half a dozen guys who have forgotten more Superman trivia than the rest of us will ever know (including Mark Waid). So I've posted the question to my Facebook wall and will update you with answers. Bob has already said "Sounds more like a story with the Superman Emergency Squad (the Kandorians) than one with tiny robots." which makes sense to me.

Update: Craig thinks it's probably an Emergency Squad story as well. So, when Mr. Silver Age and the Answer Man think it's the Emergency Squad, it's probably the Emergency Squad.

James, in case you don't know, the SUperman Emergency Squad was a bunch of Kandorians who look just like Superman. When SUperman needs help, they put on Superman costumes and leave Kandor to go help him deal with whatever issue he's having. That's them on the cover of the comic Trevor referenced.

Last edited by JasonF; 10-21-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-21-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Superman Robot
http://www.comicvine.com/superman-robot/4005-9576/

Possibilities??:

Action 276
Jimmy Olsen 63
Jimmy Olsen 135
Old 10-21-13, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
As it happens, I'm friends with Craig "Mr. Silver Age" Shutt and Bob "Answer Man" Rozakis, along with at least half a dozen guys who have forgotten more Superman trivia than the rest of us will ever know (including Mark Waid). So I've posted the question to my Facebook wall and will update you with answers. Bob has already said "Sounds more like a story with the Superman Emergency Squad (the Kandorians) than one with tiny robots." which makes sense to me.

Update: Craig thinks it's probably an Emergency Squad story as well. So, when Mr. Silver Age and the Answer Man think it's the Emergency Squad, it's probably the Emergency Squad.

James, in case you don't know, the SUperman Emergency Squad was a bunch of Kandorians who look just like Superman. When SUperman needs help, they put on Superman costumes and leave Kandor to go help him deal with whatever issue he's having. That's them on the cover of the comic Trevor referenced.
First, I want to be you.

Second, the way you updated and changed to italics I momentarily thought that Bob Rozakis had actually typed my name. I died and went to heaven a little bit.
Old 10-21-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I had no idea Bob Rozakis was on Facebook. That is so cool!
Old 10-21-13, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trevor
First, I want to be you.

Second, the way you updated and changed to italics I momentarily thought that Bob Rozakis had actually typed my name. I died and went to heaven a little bit.
You really don't want to be me. I'm not that special.

I "met" BobRo back in the late 90s. DC was in bed with AOL and hosted 2 or 3 chats per night. Most of the chats related to a particular book or line -- there was a Batman chat, a Superman chat, a Green Lantern chat, and so on -- but Bob hosted a weekly DC trivia chat and I was one of the regulars in the chat room. It was always loads of fun, and when Facebook came along, I reconnected with him. (Now I'm getting nostalgic for the other regulars, like Jen Contino, who does lots of online comics journalism these days, or the late great Rich Morrissey, or Dave SIkula, who is very active in online fandom).

Craig I actually know in real life. Back before AOL, I was very active in the comics groups on Usenet and I've got a bunch of friends from those days. It turns out that several of my friends used to do a trivia contest at the Chicago Comicon (back before it became Wizard World Chicago) with Craig as the moderator. I got to know Craig via those annual trivia contests, and since we're both local to Chicago, we grab lunch together a couple of times a year.

P.S. We still do that trivia contest every year at C2E2, though it's morphed into a five-on-one challenge where me and four other guys take on Mark Waid, who single handedly drubs us at Silver Age trivia. Check it out if you're ever at C2E2.

Valeyard -- Craig, Bob, Waid, and tons of other pros are all over Facebook and I've never had a single pro turn me down for a friend request. Drop them a line!
Old 10-22-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
Any idea of what decade the comic was from?
It will have been very late 70's to mid 80s.
Old 10-22-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did not know any of that. My father used to buy me lots of different comics growing up as a kid. Superman one week, Fantastic Four the next, Hulk and Spidey a lot. Even those pretty cool Marvel horror comics. I have a couple of images from Superman comics that really stick out in my mind. One is the thread question, another is a single panel where there was an underground base similar to something built into the Grand Canyon and Superman flying over it. Cannot remember anything else about it than that. But those images have always stayed with me.

I will check the recommendations that people have made and hopefully one hits the nail on the head.

Thanks for the help folks.
Old 10-22-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really don't want to be me. I'm not that special.

I "met" BobRo back in the late 90s. DC was in bed with AOL and hosted 2 or 3 chats per night. Most of the chats related to a particular book or line -- there was a Batman chat, a Superman chat, a Green Lantern chat, and so on -- but Bob hosted a weekly DC trivia chat and I was one of the regulars in the chat room. It was always loads of fun, and when Facebook came along, I reconnected with him. (Now I'm getting nostalgic for the other regulars, like Jen Contino, who does lots of online comics journalism these days, or the late great Rich Morrissey, or Dave SIkula, who is very active in online fandom).

Craig I actually know in real life. Back before AOL, I was very active in the comics groups on Usenet and I've got a bunch of friends from those days. It turns out that several of my friends used to do a trivia contest at the Chicago Comicon (back before it became Wizard World Chicago) with Craig as the moderator. I got to know Craig via those annual trivia contests, and since we're both local to Chicago, we grab lunch together a couple of times a year.

P.S. We still do that trivia contest every year at C2E2, though it's morphed into a five-on-one challenge where me and four other guys take on Mark Waid, who single handedly drubs us at Silver Age trivia. Check it out if you're ever at C2E2.

Valeyard -- Craig, Bob, Waid, and tons of other pros are all over Facebook and I've never had a single pro turn me down for a friend request. Drop them a line!
Oh really? What's their a/s/l?
Old 10-23-13, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Another possibility that has been raised: could it be a Toyman story? He was known to use miniature robots, including miniature Superman robots on at least one occasion (in Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow").
Old 10-23-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
One is the thread question, another is a single panel where there was an underground base similar to something built into the Grand Canyon and Superman flying over it. Cannot remember anything else about it than that. But those images have always stayed with me.

I will check the recommendations that people have made and hopefully one hits the nail on the head.

Thanks for the help folks.
Could be the Earth Two Superman's Fortress of Solitude.
Old 10-30-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Could be the Earth Two Superman's Fortress of Solitude.
Well mate i seem to recall it was the base of the villain, possibly Luthor. Been a long time since i saw this. 30+ years ago.