Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon DOTD 10/21/2013 -- Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection -- 15 discs $109.99

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon DOTD 10/21/2013 -- Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection -- 15 discs $109.99

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DCAG9M/ref=gbsl_tit_l-1_1562_75c754ff?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=left-new-1&pf_rd_r=03DTW2E7165F205RFGK7&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1596371562

I already have Psycho and North By Northwest, so I am not super interested in it. The blu-ray dot com website gives it an okay review which can be summarized as the case construction is flimsy, and not a lot of special features except for the best films in the set ( Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho and The Birds ) which do get special features.

Here is a copy-and-paste from amazon:

Saboteur (1942)

Saboteur: A Closer Look
Storyboards: The Statue of Liberty Sequence
Alfred Hitchcock’s Sketches
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Beyond Doubt: The Making of Hitchcock’s Favorite Film
Production Drawings by Art Director Robert Boyle
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer

Rope (1948)

Rope Unleashed
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer

Rear Window (1954)

Rear Window Ethics: An Original Documentary
A Conversation with Screenwriter John Michael Hayes
Pure Cinema: Through the Eyes of The Master
Breaking Barriers: The Sound of Hitchcock
Hitchcock-Truffaut Interview Excerpts
Masters of Cinema
Feature Commentary with John Fawell, author of Hitchcock’s Rear Window: The Well-Made Film
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer
Re-Release Trailer Narrated by James Stewart
Blu-ray Exclusives: BD Live, pocket BLU app

The Trouble with Harry (1955)

The Trouble with Harry Isn’t Over
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

The Making of The Man Who Knew Too Much
Production Photographs
Trailers

Vertigo (1958)

Obsessed with Vertigo: New Life for Hitchcock’s Masterpiece
Partners in Crime: Hitchcock’s Collaborators
Hitchcock / Truffaut Interview Excerpts
Foreign Censorship Ending
The Vertigo Archives
Feature Commentary with Associate Producer Herbert Coleman, Restoration Team Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz, and Other Vertigo Participants
Feature Commentary with Director William Friedkin
100 Years of Universal: The Lew Wasserman Era
Theatrical Trailer
Restoration Theatrical Trailer

North by Northwest (1959)

Feature Commentary by screenwriter Ernest Lehman
The Master’s Touch: Hitchcock’s Signature Style
Cary Grant: A Class Apart
North by Northwest: One for the Ages
Destination Hitchcock: The Making of North by Northwest
Stills gallery
Theatrical Trailers and TV Spot

Psycho (1960)

The Making of Psycho
Psycho Sound
In The Master’s Shadow: Hitchcock’s Legacy
Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho
The Shower Scene: With and Without Music
The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass
The Psycho Archives
Posters and Psycho Ads
Lobby Cards
Behind-the-Scenes Photographs
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer
Re-release Trailers
Feature Commentary with Stephen Rebello (author of Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho)
Blu-ray Exclusive: BD Live

The Birds (1963)

Deleted Scene
Original Ending
The Birds: Hitchcock’s Monster Movie -- New! (Blu-ray Exclusive)
All About The Birds
Storyboards
Tippi Hedren’s Screen Test
The Birds Is Coming (Universal International Newsreel)
Suspense Story: National Press Club Hears Hitchcock (Universal International Newsreel)
Production Photographs
100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics
100 Years of Universal: The Lot
Theatrical Trailer

Marnie (1964)

The Trouble with Marnie
The Marnie Archives
Theatrical Trailer

Torn Curtain (1966)

Torn Curtain Rising
Scenes Scored by Bernard Herrmann
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer

Topaz (1969)

Alternate Endings
Topaz: An Appreciation by Film Historian and Critic Leonard Maltin
Storyboards: The Mendozas
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer

Frenzy (1972)

The Story of Frenzy
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer

Family Plot (1976)

Plotting Family Plot
Storyboards: The Chase Scene
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer
Old 10-21-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Amazon DOTD 10/21/2013 -- Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection -- 15 discs $10

I nearly bought this today but I have the same issue with it that I have with the Kubrick set. You're better off buying the titles individually because some are available in superior editions and it's pretty safe to say that others will eventually be upgraded. Right now you're probably still ahead money-wise to buy it and double up on stuff like Psycho (which has a better UK edition) and TMWKTM (Criterion) but eventually you'll be stuck with a box set that is largely comprised of worthless inferior discs. Also like the Kubrick set it isn't complete, with several titles only available outside of the box anyway.
Old 10-21-13, 11:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Amazon DOTD 10/21/2013 -- Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection -- 15 discs $10

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I nearly bought this today but I have the same issue with it that I have with the Kubrick set. You're better off buying the titles individually because some are available in superior editions and it's pretty safe to say that others will eventually be upgraded. Right now you're probably still ahead money-wise to buy it and double up on stuff like Psycho (which has a better UK edition) and TMWKTM (Criterion) but eventually you'll be stuck with a box set that is largely comprised of worthless inferior discs. Also like the Kubrick set it isn't complete, with several titles only available outside of the box anyway.
I think I agree with this. But also, fwiw, isn't the UK box set much cheaper, albeit without one film?
Old 10-21-13, 11:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I paid $138 US for the UK collectors set. It's missing NXNW. However there's a newer Collectors edition that was just released that has it included. The UK standard set that's identical to the US one is currently selling for $105.
Old 10-21-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew

The UK Psycho is marginally better but most would never notice it. The Criterion TMWKTM is a different film that is not included in this set. I also would not expect any upgrades in the near future for the lesser Hitchcock films. I think this is a safe purchase unlike the Kubrick set.
Old 10-21-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Universal didn't really invest that much in restoring its lesser Hitchcocks. $100 is probably a fair price for the set but I expect it to go even lower within another year.
Old 10-21-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Happy with the UK set I bought even though I haven't watched it yet. I still have a mishmash of Kubrick DVDs and HD DVDs. Warner is more aggressive about rereleasing Kubrick so I figure someday there'll be a great deal I can grab, even if it's just a physical-media closeout.
Old 10-21-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Universal didn't really invest that much in restoring its lesser Hitchcocks. $100 is probably a fair price for the set but I expect it to go even lower within another year.
completely agree. This is for first time embracers of AH and shouldn't be more than $50. True collectors will walk past this set
Old 10-21-13, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see much choice for collectors, unless they are going to invest money buying various imports. For most serious fans, collections like this is what they are looking for.
Old 10-21-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by albert_m
I don't see much choice for collectors, unless they are going to invest money buying various imports. For most serious fans, collections like this is what they are looking for.
Agree. This will probably be the last big physical-media box for Hitchcock, and the only one in high definition.
Old 10-21-13, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it likely that the price will be better closer to the holidays?
Old 10-21-13, 04:50 PM

Amazon.co.uk also has the collection available in two separate volumes (Hitchcock, Vol. 1 and Hitchcock, Vol 2). I just got the first volume, which focuses on earlier films: Saboteur/Shadow of a Doubt/Rope/Rear Window/The Trouble With Harry/The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)/Psycho. It was less than $48 shipped, and it's region-free.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchcock-Vo...dp/B00D5PUHDM/

I wasn't as interested in the later films, which are the ones generating the most complaints regarding poor transfers, so this was perfect for me.
Old 10-21-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I saw this today and thought about it for a little bit but it's still a bit too high for me. I'd probably bite if it was somewhere between $80 and $90ish.
Old 10-22-13, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from Psycho (mentioned above), would anybody like to enlighten me on Blu-Ray releases of these movies that top their counterparts in the US boxed set? I have yet to bite on any of these films, aside from a few $3-$5 DVD's purchased at Big Lots, and it bugs me sometimes. On the upside, I'm glad to hear that after tepid reviews of the prints in the original Blu-Ray set, we are seeing fixes, however minor. And kudos to Marginal for mentioning the 2-part UK releases. It appears that we have sane keep case packaging at last!