DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sub or speakers?

Old 11-14-00, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've run into a bass problem with my new house. I have two Sony SS-MF315 towers with a response of at the lowest end of 50Hz. I also have a small 50 watt powered subwoofer with a response of 45Hz. As of now I really don't have any room for the subwoofer and I've been using the bass from my main speakers instead. After listening both ways (subwoofer and speakers) I honestly can't tell much of a difference in the bass. I know this puts an extra load on the receiver(by the way I have a Sherwood 60x5 DD/DTS receiver) but given my space problem should I just stick with the bass from the speakers or would I be better off by making room for the subwoofer and taking extra that load off of my receiver? Thanks for you help.

------------------
Go Noles!
>------->
Old 11-14-00, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't have the space for the sub and don't hear any difference then don't use it. You will not be hurting the reciever by not using the sub it will simply direct the bass to the fronts. The benefit of a sub is to take the low end bass away from your speakers there by decreasing distortion from bass at high sound levels. You can get a higher output from your reciever to your speakers by hooking a sub with an external amp but if you do not need your sound any louder then dont bother. Bottom line is if it sounds fine to you without the sub then keep it that way.