Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Carrie (Peirce, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Carrie (Peirce, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
0%
0%
4.55%
27.27%
9.09%
22.73%
18.18%
9.09%
0%
4.55%
0%
YAIHR (Yet Another Insipid Horror Remake)
4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 11:23 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Carrie" (Starring: Chloλ Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore, Gabriella Wilde, Portia Doubleday, Alex Russell, Judy Greer)

Release Date:
10/18/2013

Rating:
R (for bloody violence, disturbing images, language and some sexual content throughout.)

Running Time:
100min. (1h. 40m.)

Budget:
$xx million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
A reimagining of the classic horror tale about Carrie White (Chloλ Grace Moretz), a shy girl outcast by her peers and sheltered by her deeply religious mother (Julianne Moore), who unleashes telekinetic terror on her small town after being pushed too far at her senior prom. Based on the best-selling novel by Stephen King, Carrie is directed by Kimberly Peirce with a screenplay by Lawrence D. Cohen and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.8 (2,051 votes as of 10/16/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:00 Rotten:00 (xx% as of 10/16/13)

Metacritic:
xx metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 10/16/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="336"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/81005"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/81005" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="336"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

ATTENTION:

dan30oly, Arpeggi (current status: Banned), Spottedfeather & PenguinJoe please do not enter your "traditional" star review in these threads any longer. Whether intentional or not, it is a troll move to always vote 0 or 1.0 stars, whether you've seen the movie or not, and no longer appreciated in these, somewhat, legitimate reviews threads.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION AND UNDERSTANDING IN THIS MATTER**
Old 10-17-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Carrie (Peirce, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Going to see a preview showing late tonight. Is it my imagination, or is this the only horror movie being released this year in October? Typically this is a month overrun with that genre. Surprised we haven't seen more.
Old 10-17-13, 01:22 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Going to see a preview showing late tonight. Is it my imagination, or is this the only horror movie being released this year in October? Typically this is a month overrun with that genre. Surprised we haven't seen more.
Nope... they released them all in the summer.
It's the Booze Talkin': The Arrow asks why is Hollywood ignoring this year's Halloween season?!
Old 10-17-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I guess the marketing department decided that EVERYONE has already seen the original considering the ads have been filled with nothing but the pig blood aftermath.

I'm looking forward to hearing some reviews. Hopefully it turns out decent. Stephen King horror stories have rarely translated well to screen.
Old 10-17-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

42% so far on RT. Some of the negative reviews aren't too kind. "Boring, gross and not at all scary" was one of the negative snippets. Ugh.

This is turning into a rental for me.
Old 10-17-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Thank goodness I had Movie Pass or I would feel ripped. The only reason to see this movie is for Chloe Grace Moretz. Aside from her the performances are wooden and the characters about as two dimensional as possible. It's like they wanted to make a movie for the Twilight fans that are now old enough to watch rated R movies. I gave the movie 2 1/2 stars and that's only because of CGM, which I feel is being a bit generous.
Old 10-18-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, that's a bummer. I was looking forward to this.

I do think it is a mistake going into Carrie looking for scares though, as I don't really think it's a "scary" movie. So much as a psychological drama with horrific elements to it. Granted, I never read the book, so maybe there is more scary stuff in that? But the movie is definitely being marketed as straight up horror with lots of scares.

I guess I'm waiting on this too. Conjuring is coming out on Blu right now, so the turn around, if anything, seems to be getting faster. Sometimes I'm more favorable to a so-so movie when watched in the comfort of my home, as opposed to being stuck in a theater.
Old 10-18-13, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. Well it seems at least Moretz is still doing good.
Old 10-18-13, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Damn. Well it seems at least Moretz is still doing good.
Which isn't surprising to me. Even when she's in not so good things, her performance tends to be a bright spot. I hope she's able to make the transition as I thin she's a fine actress, and not just a fine child actress.
Old 10-18-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Which isn't surprising to me. Even when she's in not so good things, her performance tends to be a bright spot. I hope she's able to make the transition as I thin she's a fine actress, and not just a fine child actress.
Like I said, she is the high spot of this movie as well, and since she is the lead character, it makes it a little less annoying that everything else falls flat. I will also say that this isn't a "scary" movie per se as much as a supernatural movie with some horror elements. Nothing in it makes you jump or anything, and the preview spots only show stuff from the last 20 minutes. The actual Carrie rampaging is not as much horror as it is a show of effects and pyrotechnics.
I too have not read the book but have seen the original. I feel in both cases reading the book might help with the character of the mom. Moore does the best she can, but you never really feel like you know anything about her other than she's a stuck up Puritanical bitch.
The prom sequence is pretty intense though, so much that I felt they should have started playing "Rains of Castamere" at a certain point.

I do hope Moretz finds some roles in movies with better directors like Scorsese again. Maybe when she turns 18 and the whole child labor laws aren't in effect while filming. Speaking of which, I did not buy that Carrie was 18 like the movie claimed. There is no way a female could go that long without having the problem she had.
Old 10-18-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the movie would have worked better if they had cast someone who actually looked like an outcast. I doubt someone who has Moretz' looks would have any trouble finding a prom date or fitting in with at least one group of friends.
Old 10-18-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I wonder if the movie would have worked better if they had cast someone who actually looked like an outcast. I doubt someone who has Moretz' looks would have any trouble finding a prom date or fitting in with at least one group of friends.
That's another problem. While she looked somewhat like an outcast before dressing up for prom, an argument could be made that she was the most attractive girl at prom once she fixed herself up a bit.
Old 10-18-13, 01:42 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

They should've cast Rachel Leigh Cook.
Old 10-18-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Does it have a Phys. Ed. coach punishment sequence with Edie McClurg? God I'd love that.
Old 10-18-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LkLH_5ErxqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-21-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i44CgF7Mb1Q

This Chloe girl is pretty charming. Though, she gets the gas face for talking at the movies.
Old 10-21-13, 02:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No all-girl shower scene, no sale.
Old 10-21-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moretz and Moore give it their best shot, but it is pretty bland for most of the movie. The supporting cast all sort of ran together, and for most of the movie, it really did not have much to add to the story. It wasn't ever bad mind you, just...real, real average.

However, once she goes full Carrie at the prom, I thought it was really good. It was a bit over the top and kind of campy, but I liked it so it ended on a good enough note. Worth seeing once at least, probably not twice. 3.5/5 stars, most of the stars earned in the last half.
Old 10-21-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Nope. Problems were far more deeply rooted.
Old 10-21-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

It was better than I expected given the reviews, but still entirely unnecessary. The producers and cast claiming they were trying to be more faithful to King's novel were full of shit -- it's a beat for beat remake of the De Palma version with only a few extra scenes/details from the book sprinkled in. Hell, even the TV version with Angela Bettis (with it's tacked on ending) seemed more faithful to the source material. As for the cast, Juilanne Moore does a fine job at making Margaret a realistic psychotic, but Piper Laurie left big shoes to fill. She knew the character was over the top and still made it work, but Moore's take is so low-key and grim that you loose that sort of dark humor that was present in De Palma's film. Believe me, I wanted to chuckle when Julianne said "dirty pillows", but the mood of the scene was too depressing.

Moretz fared better in the title role than I expected, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Spacek. I felt more sympathy for Chloe's Carrie at the prom (before the pig's blood, mind you) due to how uncomfortable she seemed in that environment while trying to fit in. The earlier scenes with her dressed down and acting self-conscious didn't ring as true for me. The rest of the cast were just fine and I thought Tommy Ross was actually a much more likeable character in this movie. The destruction scenes played out as expected, but it's always nice to see Carrie let those bitches have it. I give it a solid 7. You'll probably enjoy it much more if you've never watched the 1976 version.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-26-13 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not as good as the original, but not too bad. I guess I'm in the minority because I didn't care much for Moretz' performance, especially her final freakout. In the '76 version, Sissy Spacek made the prom scene work by just turning her head to slam doors, blow out lights, push people around, etc. Moretz is way over the top with arching her body and "aiming" with her hands, like some cartoon wizard. Plus, how telekinetic IS this girl? She's throwing cars and breaking open 1000 feet of highway and lifting people in the air. She's more X-Men than wronged teen.
I love Julianne Moore, but she's drab here. Nothing can top Piper Laurie's gleefullly insane performance.
Old 10-22-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
She's more X-Men than wronged teen.
I have not seen the film but in the trailers she does look like some kind of superhero flexing her powers.
Old 10-22-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad idea to begin with.
Old 10-22-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Does it have a Phys. Ed. coach punishment sequence with Edie McClurg? God I'd love that.
Old 10-22-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
No all-male shower scene, no sale.
Fixed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.