Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Saw franchise.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
The Saw franchise.

I've seen the first one. Is this a decent franchise? Are any of the sequels worth watching? They were really cranking them out for awhile there but it seems like the series has been bled dry. I thought the first was quite good. But with every subsequent sequel IMDB has them rated lower and lower.
Old 10-16-13, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The Saw franchise.

You'll more than likely get mixed reviews on each movie. I liked the series but there are a couple I were not too jazzed about. Overall I think it's a set worth visiting.
Old 10-16-13, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

The producers originally wanted to make 8 movies, but due to the disastrous box office of 6, they were forced to wrap it up in 7. I personally like the series, but it's really hit or miss for most here.
Old 10-16-13, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

The first three make a pretty good trilogy.

It goes downhill fast after that. 4, 5, and 6 all blur into one movie for me. I didn't even know there was a seventh.
Old 10-16-13, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Compared to other long running horror series (Freddy, Jason, Myers) where the first entries might be superior the quality of the SAW movies are much more consistent. Take that for what it's worth.
Old 10-16-13, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The first three make a pretty good trilogy.

It goes downhill fast after that. 4, 5, and 6 all blur into one movie for me. I didn't even know there was a seventh.
I agree with this. The first three are good movies, and you can easily stop after the third and not miss anything. The fourth takes a huge nosedive in quality, and the movies never improve after that.
Old 10-16-13, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I really enjoy the entire series. But it definitely isn't for everyone.
Old 10-16-13, 07:09 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

My wife Saw it when it first came out, I hadn't seen it, wasn't sure if I wanted to. Not much into sadism and torture, after my wife told me what it was about and that she really wasn't interested in that type of movie, I decided that besides Friday the 13th and Halloween, I'm really not into that type of horror movie either. I'd rather see mutants, demons and monsters in my horror movies, not man's inhumanity and sadistic/torturous cruelty to man. Not really my cup of tea.
Old 10-16-13, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its pretty heavily serialized, which I though made it unique. Some clever storytelling tricks too. Overall pretty enjoyable.
Old 10-16-13, 09:37 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought the first movie wad decent. Saw the second and thought it sucked, and only saw bits and pieces of a couple others. Just not that interesting to me.
Old 10-16-13, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
My wife Saw it when it first came out, I hadn't seen it, wasn't sure if I wanted to. Not much into sadism and torture, after my wife told me what it was about and that she really wasn't interested in that type of movie, I decided that besides Friday the 13th and Halloween, I'm really not into that type of horror movie either. I'd rather see mutants, demons and monsters in my horror movies, not man's inhumanity and sadistic/torturous cruelty to man. Not really my cup of tea.
So what's your limit? Irreversible (we need a BD of this), Oldboy, I Saw The Devil, Antichrist, or what?

I'm indifferent to torture in movies. I just want the film to be good. The Saw films have never interested me really. One day I'll see them.
Old 10-16-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Paranormal Activity sealed Saw's fate and Saw never recovered.
Old 10-16-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I enjoyed the series and at some point in the future, will probably have a Saw-marathon of sorts. As someone else said, the sequels may not have been as good, but they don't drop in quality as much as typical sequels seem to do.
Old 10-16-13, 10:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

i never understood why they don't release the entire series on Blu-ray. i would love that set.

as for the movies, i like a little something in each. they aren't great by any stretch, but they have this fun quality to them. i also like how they tie them all together. i especially like scenes from 5 & 6. the acting in 1-6 isn't half bad either. who knew Costas Mandylor could kinda act?

Saw VII was a parody of itself and i don't even remember it to tell the truth...
Old 10-16-13, 07:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I loved Saw when it came out, but didn't see the rest until the time when #7 was getting released. In retrospect, #2 was the best, IMO, followed by #1. All the rest were pretty worthless.
Old 10-16-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Saw VII pretty much tied them all together. It was the final Saw and I think it was done well.
I think it's worth a visit at least if you never saw them. If it's been a while, you're more than likely going to choose the highest rated ones over re-watching the entire series.
Old 10-16-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't seen the series in awhile, was a huge fan of the first two movies at the time and I recall 3 and 4 were ok, 5 and 6 were pretty bad, and 7 was decent and did a good job wrapping up the series. It reminds me I should go back and watch these again. The series overall did a pretty decent job linking the overarching story together though, and I enjoyed how they managed to continue the story for that many movies. Much better then most horror franchises out there.
Old 10-16-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I have the German HD-DVD of the first film.
Old 10-16-13, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Great series that turned out a number of entertaining sequels, if you enjoy the Saw formula. The first one is of course a horror classic.
Old 10-16-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Saw series is a pretty good series of horror films. Honestly I would say they are probably the best horror film series to come out since the hey day of Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th.

Like others have said the first three make for a good trilogy. Four is ok, five is by far the weakest IMO and 6 was the best of the second trilogy. Seven isn't great but it does wrap the series up.

Also another thing to keep in mind with the Saw movies is that they are very serialized. Watching all of them feels less like a movie and more like watching a full TV season. But overall I saw go for it.