DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best buy

Old 11-13-00, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am about to finally buy myself a standalone dvd player.
what is important to me is 1) video quality 2)sound quality 3) being able to play a widescreen movie on a standard TV without letterboxing.
so far I know of 2 players that can do this. the Nintaus N9901 and the Sharp DV-720X. This is using the zoom function to blow the picture up to full screen ( both players have a low power zoom ) loosing the sides of the picture, usually nothing important. What player should I buy ? please help !!!!!!! O I also find the ability to disable macrovision interesting, but it is not a deciding factor as you can buy external boxes to do this from Tandy. Region free is not an issue to me and mp3 are only of slight interest.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

jayfree
Old 11-13-00, 07:35 PM
Cool New Member

The Toshiba DVD players have a zoom feature so you can blow the picture up to full screen...

But, I, and many others in this forum, would NOT recommend doing so, because you degrade the quality of the picture in doing so. You'll notice a lot of blotches (pixelization), and it basically defeats the purpose of getting a DVD player for the sake of better picture quality.

I think the Toshiba SD-1200 or 1600 would probably give you the most bang for the buck, but of course, there a lot of others...
Old 11-13-00, 08:30 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by kaminari:
The Toshiba DVD players have a zoom feature so you can blow the picture up to full screen...

But, I, and many others in this forum, would NOT recommend doing so, because you degrade the quality of the picture in doing so. You'll notice a lot of blotches (pixelization), and it basically defeats the purpose of getting a DVD player for the sake of better picture quality.

I think the Toshiba SD-1200 or 1600 would probably give you the most bang for the buck, but of course, there a lot of others...
<HR>

I just got a SD-1600 and am extremely impressed with the zoom. It is very smooth and a 2x zoom would hardly be noticable.
Old 11-14-00, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
I just got a SD-1600 and am extremely impressed with the zoom. It is very smooth and a 2x zoom would hardly be noticable.<HR>

Although I rarely use it how do you get the word 'ZOOM' off of the screen if you were to watch a whole movie like that?