Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Phillips (Greengrass, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Phillips (Greengrass, 2013)
18.42%
18.42%
44.74%
13.16%
2.63%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
2.63%
Captain Tums
0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 12:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Captain Phillips" (Starring: Hanks, Abdi, Ahmed, Ali, Abdirahman, Chernus, Keener)

Release Date:
10/11/2013

Rating:
PG-13 (for sustained intense sequences of menace, some violence with bloody images, and for substance use throughout.)

Running Time:
134min. (2h. 14m.)

Budget:
$xx million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Captain Phillips is a multi-layered examination of the 2009 hijacking of the U.S. container ship Maersk Alabama by a crew of Somali pirates. It is - through director Paul Greengrass's distinctive lens - simultaneously a pulse-pounding thriller, and a complex portrait of the myriad effects of globalization. The film focuses on the relationship between the Alabama's commanding officer, Captain Richard Phillips (two time Academy Awardฎ-winner Tom Hanks), and the Somali pirate captain, Muse (Barkhad Abdi), who takes him hostage. Phillips and Muse are set on an unstoppable collision course when Muse and his crew target Phillips' unarmed ship; in the ensuing standoff, 145 miles off the Somali coast, both men will find themselves at the mercy of forces beyond their control.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.2 (1,090 votes as of 10/10/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:64 Rotten:05 (93% as of 10/10/13)

Metacritic:
81 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 10/10/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/79569"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/79569" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 10-11-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Captain Phillips (Greengrass, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

I really liked this, possible top 10 so far. Great performances by Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi (first time actor) as the lead pirate. It was pretty tense even though you may already know the outcome.
Old 10-12-13, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with bluetoast, one of the best movies I have watched this year.

Directed by the director that directed "United 93".

Tom Hanks nails this one...his emotions get more intense as the movie goes on, the ending wow.

Few small facts were changed or not talked about in the movie, but nothing outlandish.

Many more people were in the theater than Gavity had last week, I think it will be the #1 movie this weekend.
Old 10-12-13, 12:36 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Hanks sold the shit out of that ending.

Great movie.

Last edited by dex14; 10-12-13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

Many more people were in the theater than Gavity had last week, I think it will be the #1 movie this weekend.
Wrong. Gravity is destroying everything in its path this weekend. Not surprised since it's the best movie out in theaters right now.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/up...it-1200716362/
Old 10-12-13, 01:47 PM

probably seeing this tomorrow. RT % keeps going up...
Old 10-12-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I think it will be the #1 movie this weekend.
Friday numbers:

1. Gravity $12.7 million
2. Capt Phillips $8.5 million
Old 10-12-13, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14
Hanks sold the shit out of that ending.

Great movie.
Yeah he really did. Eyes got a little watery during that scene.
Old 10-12-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The shaky cam almost ruined this for me. Towards the end I thought I was gonna spew. Guess I should've known going in since it was Greengrass. Well made film though, great acting all around...
Old 10-12-13, 09:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
The shaky cam almost ruined this for me. Towards the end I thought I was gonna spew. Guess I should've known going in since it was Greengrass. Well made film though, great acting all around...

funny I really didn't notice it that much (and I was sitting pretty close to the screen)

as for the ending, yes I got rather emotional too.

Hanks got an Oscar nom for sure.
Old 10-12-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one on this forum that got misty eyed and felt like crying at the end. With so many big Oscar buzz movies coming out in the coming months, I hope the Academy still remembers this performance.
Old 10-12-13, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Wrong. Gravity is destroying everything in its path this weekend. Not surprised since it's the best movie out in theaters right now.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/up...it-1200716362/

I'm not sure why 'Captain Phillips' was given an IMAX release so close to Gravity - I don't see any DC area IMAX-Digital screens showing it as such.
Old 10-13-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm not sure why 'Captain Phillips' was given an IMAX release so close to Gravity - I don't see any DC area IMAX-Digital screens showing it as such.
Captain Phillips is playing in IMAX at the Washingtonian Center in Gaithersburg and also The Majestic in Silver Spring.
Old 10-13-13, 12:36 AM

Captain Phillips is playing in IMAX at the Washingtonian Center in Gaithersburg and also The Majestic in Silver Spring.
Gaithersburg's IMAX-D system is a joke, AMC should have made it an ETX screen not IMAX - the screen is small.

I refuse to pay or see anything on the Majestic IMAX-D screen, 18 bucks for every screening of the day - high way robbery.
Old 10-13-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I refuse to pay or see anything on the Majestic IMAX-D screen, 18 bucks for every screening of the day - high way robbery.
The Majestic is the best IMAX D screen in the dmv. Way better than Tyson Corner and their lame ass reserved seating
Old 10-13-13, 01:44 PM

Very well done all the way around. Tense and gripping. I didn't even notice the shaky cam.
Old 10-13-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Really good performances and very tense pace. Greengrass' trademark shaky cam and grainy style were present, but the former wasn't as noticeable as in his other stuff, and I feel the grainy picture helped the overall effect.

Question: what was the big deal about keeping Philips from reaching Somalia? I know they didn't want him held for ransom and all, but the way Philips acted seemed as though he felt they would rather destroy the whole lifeboat with him included than let him live and make it to Somalia.
Old 10-13-13, 09:29 PM

The Majestic is the best IMAX D screen in the dmv. Way better than Tyson Corner and their lame ass reserved seating
to each his (or her) own - I like the reserved seating (as I like it at the Angelika and Landmark Bethesda) Is the Majestic really THAT better, Tyson's screen is tall at three stories.
Old 10-14-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also thought this film had some solid angles from a storytelling perspective to keep the flow of the film going with a brisk pace, while keeping the tension on high alert as Captain Phillips and his crew try to fend off Somalian boat pirates off the coast of Africa in 2009. Tom Hanks delivers yet another fine performance as Capt. Phillips, trying to keep his men alive while sailing through treacherous waters with a boat moving lots of containers of "stuff".

Director Greengrass handles the characterizations on both sides deftly, the Somalian boat pirates and the crew on the ship. While there is some shaky cam, when it's used, it's used to drive home the chaotic nature of certain scenes to amp up the drama and urgercy. But I did not feel all that sea-sick from any of the shaky cam footage.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 10-14-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

Question: what was the big deal about keeping Philips from reaching Somalia? I know they didn't want him held for ransom and all, but the way Philips acted seemed as though he felt they would rather destroy the whole lifeboat with him included than let him live and make it to Somalia.
They were in International waters so anything was fair game. But once you hit Somalia there's a bigger mess to go through dealing with the country.
Old 10-20-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I thought it was really good. The shaky cam stood out to me in spots, but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the film.

The obvious outcome was that all the pirates were going to die; the question was whether Phillips was going to survive. Hate to admit that I was really rooting for the pirates to get blown away.

The early scene in Somalia made me think "Oh great, they're going to humanize the pirates." And it did explain their motivations somewhat, but it didn't make me feel conflicted about the outcome.

I read the other thread about the truth of the story. Not sure about that, but the movie worked just as entertainment. I'm wondering why the ship didn't have any arms aboard. I know that can turn out poorly when people are untrained, but one sniper rifle could have ended the movie before it started.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Originally Posted by mhg83
They were in International waters so anything was fair game. But once you hit Somalia there's a bigger mess to go through dealing with the country.
It wasn't just him: The U.S. authorities flat-out said that they couldn't let the lifeboat get to Somalia.
Old 10-20-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Liked it a lot.

It didn't feel very intense. I was more involved in watching the events unfold.
Old 10-20-13, 07:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It was decent. Hanks was the main selling point, and he delivered. The stuff with the pirates on the cargo ship were the best parts, and I liked that the crew just felt like regular guys who did that kind of job day in and day out.

Once they abducted Phillips, I got less interested. Also at this point I feel like Greengrass is basically making the same movie over and over again.
Old 10-20-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

funny I really didn't notice it that much (and I was sitting pretty close to the screen)

as for the ending, yes I got rather emotional too.

Hanks got an Oscar nom for sure.
I thought it was the least shaky camerawork of his career.

Even though you knew what was coming I couldn't help but be emotional as well.

He did a great job.

I enjoyed the film quite a bit.

**** out of five.
Old 10-27-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

I thought it was great as well. Hanks was brilliant.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.