Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer Layer Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-00, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm a complete DVD newbie and just have a quick question. Based on everyone's suggestion on this DVD board, I purchased a Pioneer DV-333 player yesterday. Well, I just finished watching "Any Given Sunday" and notice a slight pause where I loose sound and picture freezes for a second. What I don't know is if this is a problem with the player, the disc, or is this the layer change from 1 to 2. I just want to be sure because if there is a hardware problem, I want to exchange it for a player that works properly or is it the way the Dv-333 handles layer changes. For those of you who own the disc, this happens in chapter 1-26, at approx 88-26. Other than this, the player seems to work great. Thanks for the recommendations!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-00, 05:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Sounds like a typical layer change. I'm not sure how long a Pioneer usually takes. Just make sure it always happens at the same spot, and not at multiple places on the same DVD.
Old 11-13-00, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't have that disc, so i don't know if it's the layer switch or not (someone else might be able to help with that)... but i have the dv-333. go to where that happens and watch the display on the player itself. if it's the layer switch it will very quickly flash something up on the display ("search" ? i'm really not even sure because i never really notice it except out of the corner of my eye if i'm looking for it)

i'd really guess it's the layer switch and unfortunately it's just not as well placed as it could be. might want to look at a few other discs and look for the layer switches just to make sure this is what's going on. i don't notice most switches, but the worst (at least on my player) that i've noticed recently were in the fox-lorber re-release of hard boiled and 12 monkeys CE. that's all i can think of off the top of my head, not sure if they are noticeable on every player or if the pioneer just has a quirk that this change looks worse than most... in any case i think it's such a small issue that is easily overlooked once you realize what is really going on.
Old 11-14-00, 08:59 AM

It's the layer change. I just checked it. It appears between Cameron Diaz close-up scene and the wash/shower scene that follows.

So don't worry about it. And be glad they invented this, otherwise you would've been flipping the disc at that point.

------------------
Born free ... taxed to death