Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother - "The Broken Code" - 10/7/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 06:44 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
How I Met Your Mother - "The Broken Code" - 10/7/13

"The Broken Code" - While Barney works through his anger at Ted after finding out he still has feelings for Robin, Marshall Skypes in to act as a judge and help settle their dispute. Meanwhile, Lily realizes she is Robin's only girlfriend, on the final season of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, Monday, Oct. 7 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Tim Gunn guest stars as himself.
Old 10-07-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother - "The Broken Code" - 10/7/13

Johnny!
Old 10-07-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Faithful viewer here for 8 years. I shut it off after 20 minutes. Just seemed overly stupid on all points.
Old 10-07-13, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was what, episode #4 out of the last 24? And we're still wasting episodes on throw away crap like Bro Code and Robin's friends? I was hopeful with the direction of the premier, but since that they're just throwing filler at us, and next week doesn't look much better. I was really hoping to get more the Mom/Ted interaction, especially through flash forwards and stuff.
Old 10-08-13, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Adken
This was what, episode #4 out of the last 24? And we're still wasting episodes on throw away crap like Bro Code and Robin's friends? I was hopeful with the direction of the premier, but since that they're just throwing filler at us, and next week doesn't look much better. I was really hoping to get more the Mom/Ted interaction, especially through flash forwards and stuff.
They're taking an entire season to cover the wedding so expect more padding.
Old 10-08-13, 06:40 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Why are people still obsessed with the mother? Have you really been holding out for 8 years hoping for scenes between Josh Radnor and some actress? This is what it always has been: a sitcom about five friends with the McGuffin of a Bob Saget voice over.

Seriously -- you're concerned abut "wasting" episodes on the bro code, as if the producers of HIMYM were sitting around the writer's room saying "We could do something profound that will speak to the human condition and be remembered for generations to come as one of the great pieces of televised literature, or we could do a bro code episode. Show of hands!" This is what it always has been: a formulaic sitcom. Either you find it funny (in which case, keep watching) or you don't. But I guarantee, if you don't find it funny, you are not going to get to the end of this season and think "Thank god I stuck with it and got to experience this complex narrative about the mother of Ted's children!"
Old 10-08-13, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Why are people still obsessed with the mother? Have you really been holding out for 8 years hoping for scenes between Josh Radnor and some actress? This is what it always has been: a sitcom about five friends with the McGuffin of a Bob Saget voice over.

Seriously -- you're concerned abut "wasting" episodes on the bro code, as if the producers of HIMYM were sitting around the writer's room saying "We could do something profound that will speak to the human condition and be remembered for generations to come as one of the great pieces of televised literature, or we could do a bro code episode. Show of hands!" This is what it always has been: a formulaic sitcom. Either you find it funny (in which case, keep watching) or you don't. But I guarantee, if you don't find it funny, you are not going to get to the end of this season and think "Thank god I stuck with it and got to experience this complex narrative about the mother of Ted's children!"
I was entirely prepared to hate this season based on its structure, until I saw the first episode and how they weaved in Lily meeting the mother, future Ted being with the mother, etc. It was both interesting and funny and also showed Ted being something other than a pathetic, miserable bastard. Without it, it was just the same unfunny storylines that have been going on for a couple seasons. To me, it made the thought of this season much more promising and if they could have a scene or two like that per episode, up until Ted actually meeting the mother at the end, it could have been very good.

I don't even think of it as advancing the storyline or it otherwise being "filler", just more proof that what we've gotten in the last couple epsiodes shows that there's just not enough story/jokes left for just the 5 of them to pull off (and 4 if you want to count Marshall not even being present).
Old 10-08-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure they are hating themselves for not including the mother in more episodes.

The feedback is most forums was really positive, and a lot people are missing her now. And yeah, I'm part of the list.

And no, I don't mean the whole episode with Ted and the mother, but sprinkles here and there.

Oh well...
Old 10-08-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually enjoyed all the Bro Code stuff...
Old 10-08-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I'm sure they are hating themselves for not including the mother in more episodes.

The feedback is most forums was really positive, and a lot people are missing her now. And yeah, I'm part of the list.

And no, I don't mean the whole episode with Ted and the mother, but sprinkles here and there.

Oh well...
Is it known how many episodes she will be in?
Old 10-08-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Yeah, when they did the "Robin needs girlfriends" bit I thought for sure the mother would show up.

When they did the flashforward, did she mention she had been there before? I mean they have to put her at the spot of the wedding somehow, but if she wasn't heading to that hotel on the train then I'm baffled at how they're going to re-introduce her to the wedding plot.
Old 10-08-13, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, when they did the "Robin needs girlfriends" bit I thought for sure the mother would show up.

When they did the flashforward, did she mention she had been there before? I mean they have to put her at the spot of the wedding somehow, but if she wasn't heading to that hotel on the train then I'm baffled at how they're going to re-introduce her to the wedding plot.
Baffled? She is the bass player in the band at the wedding. We were told this many times over the last 3 seasons.

Last edited by dex14; 10-08-13 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Ah, thanks, I skipped over most of the last three seasons and only picked it up this year to see the end.
Old 10-08-13, 03:05 PM

Aaaahh. Well that would explain it. Yea in the season 6 premiere (I believe) is when we found that out. Best thing to do is read the HIMYM wiki if you're interested... http://how-i-met-your-mother.wikia.com/wiki/The_Mother
Old 10-08-13, 05:31 PM

The difference between HIMYM and any other "normal" sitcom is that HIMYM has always had an "endgame," which is the introduction/meeting of the mother. When I watch any other sitcom, there generally isn't a ultimate destination the show is head towards, and it's just 30 mins of fun. A lot of people, myself included, were looking forward to the payoff of seeing SOME interaction between Ted and the mother.

Maybe the "complex narrative" of the mother won't be earth shattering, but if you can't understand how after 8 years people would like to see more interaction with the mother and Ted, then I probably can't explain it to you here.
Old 10-08-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

I don't get the mother obsession either given that Ted is by far the worst character on the show.
Old 10-08-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't get the mother obsession either given that Ted is by far the worst character on the show.
True but given all the characters are no longer interesting or funny(Robin & Barney have no chemistry & Marshall and Lily have sucked since the baby), it's easier to pine for someone fresh.
Old 10-08-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adken
The difference between HIMYM and any other "normal" sitcom is that HIMYM has always had an "endgame," which is the introduction/meeting of the mother. When I watch any other sitcom, there generally isn't a ultimate destination the show is head towards, and it's just 30 mins of fun. A lot of people, myself included, were looking forward to the payoff of seeing SOME interaction between Ted and the mother.

Maybe the "complex narrative" of the mother won't be earth shattering, but if you can't understand how after 8 years people would like to see more interaction with the mother and Ted, then I probably can't explain it to you here.
The thing is that the relationship between Ted and Mother has only come up a handful of times each season. Only once in awhile we'll see Ted's story advancing toward meeting the mother. The relationships between the rest of the cast has always been more important than 'meeting the mother'.

It's episode 4 of 24... there is only so much they can do in regards to his relationship with the mother. They need to walk a fine line between not establishing the mother enough and over saturating us with her. We need it to be a story book love because we need to believe she is better than all the girls that have come before. If we have too much 'mother' there is the chance we'll end up disliking her the way we did with most of Ted's other girlfriends.

Maybe they won't give us enough scenes with Ted and Mother. Maybe they'll give us too much. All I'm saying is that 4 episodes in isn't enough to determine either way.
Old 10-10-13, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I liked the Bro Code jokes (I really like the Barney character in that) but why oh why are we still getting the Ted and Robin dance. I hope this ends it. I really do. And the whole Robin hating women is annoying as well. At least get more interaction with the family and more Wayne Brady as he's quite funny in this series. Hopefully we get a little sprinkle of the mother here and there because she made the first episode quite enjoyable and brought upon a hope for this last season. And did Jason have some other movie to film or something? What is up with the iChat crap?
Old 10-10-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THIS.
Old 10-10-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL! Nothing like rehashing the same elements, from both sides, like the last past 3-4 years.

You can always count on the HIMYM threads to deliver!
Old 11-02-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I loved the bro code being in it
I ran to find my copy and as they were giving numbers my girlfriend and I were looking to see if it matched what was in the book as well as laughing at the various other entries