DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

7.1 audio?

Old 11-13-00, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in lookin at the back of my reciever, I have the usual ports in the back for front and back speakers, center and subwoofer... but I also have ports for a second set of front speakers.

question is why? Would there be any advantage to, say, getting 2 more speakers and plugging them in here? I'm guessing 2 tall floor speakers, but would I want them, and the 2 little front speakers on the wall?
Old 11-13-00, 05:28 PM

Bassicaly one would be for the surround sound home theater, and the other would be for playing the radio or cd if you really want to crank up the volume.
Old 11-13-00, 06:16 PM
Banned

There are one of two possibilities here. One possibility is that you are talking about a Main B channel, which is used to run a second pair of speakers for stereo output. This generally gives you the option to run music in a second room of your house, or to fill large rooms with 4 speakers for a stereo source. The other possibility is that you are talking about a upper-end Yamaha receiver. These receivers have what they call "Front Effects" speakers. They are low wattage channels for small speakers that add ambiance effects in different surround modes. It's not a surround encoding format, but a way Yamaha can try to simulate different types of listening venues for music and movies in surround.

------------------
...post game show is brought to you by,......Christ I can't find it... To hell with it!
Old 11-14-00, 08:54 AM
Suspended

OK, I think it's just the B channel thing, it's a fairly cheap (I think) Sony reciever so I doubt it's anything high tech like that yamaha one