Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Final Destination: The Dark Age -- concept trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

For now there's only a concept trailer.

'Final Destination 6: The Dark Age' Concept Trailer Sets the Franchise Back in Time

It was in the year 2000 that we met the unseen force of Death itself, in our very first introduction to the franchise known as Final Destination. The unique and original premise of a group of characters cheating death and then being hunted down one by one was originally pitched as an episode of The X-Files – an idea that was inspired by the infamous 1996 crash of TWA Flight 800. In short, the show’s creator apparently wasn’t interested in the idea, though it caught the attention of two members of the writing staff. They fell in love with the concept and decided to work together to go bigger and turn it into a feature film. With that decision, a hit franchise was born.

It’s now been 13 years since the release of the original Final Destination, and to date we've seen five installments of the series – with the last one spewing blood and carnage into theaters back in 2011. Though the highly entertaining Final Destination 5 neatly tied itself into the original film – bringing the franchise to a pretty damn perfect and satisfying conclusion – we all know that a horror franchise is never truly dead. Just ask Freddy... or Jason... or Pinhead... or any horror movie that’s ever made a whole lot of money.

Final Destination 5 was the second highest-grossing film in the franchise, so it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion that Final Destination 6 is imminent. Surprisingly, however, the past two years have gone by without a peep about another sequel... that is, until this very interesting video surfaced on YouTube earlier this week:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_cbiOv7s2Hw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Though the video was uploaded by a fan of the franchise named Alexander McNeill, things get really interesting in his description of it. McNeill mentions in the "About" section of the video that he cut together the trailer based on an idea that had been relayed to him by someone named Craig Perry. Though that name probably doesn’t ring a bell, a quick search on IMDb will reveal that Perry has produced every single film in the Final Destination series.

Needless to say, Perry is a guy with pull when it comes to this franchise, and that little slice of information turns the video from a fan-made bit of fun into something a little more intriguing. Could this video represent an actual concept in the works for an upcoming sixth installment? Is Death really headed into the Dark Ages? I felt it was worth digging deeper into things, so I sought out the video’s editor in an effort to learn more...

A hardcore Final Destination fan, editor Alexander McNeill has been cutting together fan trailers and mash-up videos for the films in the series since 2006. In 2009, Perry hosted a forum promoting the release of fourth installment The Final Destination, bringing McNeill and the producer together at last. “The franchise has always been incredibly fan-friendly and interactive with its community,” says McNeill. “I eventually got the opportunity to build up a friendship with him.”

Realizing there’s no one better to bounce ideas off than a diehard fan, Perry recently came to McNeill and proposed the idea of setting the next Final Destination sequel in the distant past, in an effort to get an inside look at how fans might respond to such a unique concept. “His idea was to draft behind the worldwide success of Game of Thrones and set the Final Destination paradigm in the 12th century, when paranoia, superstition and disease were as omnipresent as death itself,” McNeill told me. “I won’t go into all the details, but it was a pretty fleshed-out storyline with cool death sequences and some fun twists... and there’s a connection with the contemporary storylines that I think is pretty awesome.”

That discussion was all the inspiration McNeill needed for his next fan edit, embarking on a quest to bring Perry’s idea to life. “I thought it was a really bold direction to take the franchise,” McNeill says. “It inspired me to convert his pitch into a trailer that could visually demonstrate the idea’s visceral potential.”

Obviously, cutting together a trailer for a film that hasn’t been shot is no easy task... but that didn’t stop McNeill; he’s done this kind of thing before. The editor began writing up a list of films and TV shows that he felt evoked the general spirit of Perry’s idea – a list that included titles such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Master and Commander, Amistad, Kingdom of Heaven and Game of Thrones. “Some of [the movies] were good for only one shot, but in context it made all the difference in the world,” said McNeill about the arduous process. “What I learned is that the Final Destination franchise is incredibly specific. So it was challenging to ‘create’ the sense of Final Destination moments and situations with the random shots I collected.”

McNeill sent the video to Perry as soon as it was finished, and he says the producer was both surprised that he did it and quite pleased with how it turned out. At the end of the day, though, Final Destination 6: The Dark Age was just an idea – one that we have no reason to believe we will ever get to see realized on the big screen. “As far as I know, there are no plans to make a sixth installment right now,” McNeill told me.

But whether or not a movie ever comes of the idea, what’s important here is that the video McNeill edited together is getting fans talking, and showing how the simple formula of the franchise could still be made fresh and new – even after it’s been seemingly milked for all it’s worth. “I think the trailer provides an interesting look at just how much versatility is in the central conceit of the franchise,” McNeill explains. "I think it’s time the franchise had a significant turnaround – what with the concept of death in the modern world being explored in the previous 5 films. Death and fate are timeless themes, and the period setting freshens up the formula overall. It’s a gutsy move, but I think it has the potential to work.”

Whether you agree with McNeill that the idea has potential, or you think it would never in a million years work, I think we can all agree that the franchise could really benefit from a shot in the arm. Aside from different settings and characters, the films in the series have essentially been carbon copies of one another, and there’s nothing wrong with spicing things up and bringing a fresh, new vision to the table. Change is good, as they say.

McNeill summed it all up better than I ever could. “The debate generated by this concept trailer among fans has been quite something,” he remarked at the end of our chat. “Regardless whether or not Final Destination 6 happens, it’s a look into how strong the ties between the fans and filmmakers are, and how many avenues these films could possibly head down.” Amen to that.

You can check out more of Alexander McNeill’s work on his YouTube channel, where you’ll find additional Final Destination edits along with lots of other fun little goodies!
Old 10-06-13, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Final Destination: The Dark Age -- concept trailer

Bring it. I will never get tired of allowing this franchise to entertain me.
Old 10-06-13, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The idea, if it ever becomes reality, would breathe new life into the franchise after the terrible 4th film and the mediocre 5th film.
Old 10-06-13, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Hell yes. Love all of them.
Old 10-06-13, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I really hope this film gets made. I love the series and this sounds like a great idea for the series.
Old 10-06-13, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 had some cool ideas, but got overshadowed by same old formuliac plotting and an uninspiring cast. The first three movies had pretty good casts.

The original wasn't perfect, but it came the closest to living up to the potential of the idea.

I wish they would do something more psychological and scary with the next one. I'm getting tired of cartoony CGI deaths.
Old 10-06-13, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Awesome. Bring it.

This is a brilliant idea, however something like this would need a budget I doubt a FD film would get for it to look good. I mean if 3, 4 & 5 couldn't even pony up for some decent actors, what chances does this setting really have?
Old 10-06-13, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is actually a really good idea.
Old 10-06-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The 4th one was fucking awful.
Old 10-06-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is successful, it opens up all of history for future FD movies. We'd never run out, and it would be fresh every time. Gotta have Tony Todd though.
Old 10-06-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Never really liked this franchise very much but this idea sort of sounds interesting.
Old 10-06-13, 12:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

unnecessary. the last one uniquely concluded the series. but, i would be lying if i said i wasn't interested at least a teeny bit.
Old 10-06-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
but, i would be lying if i said i was interested at least a teeny bit.
So you're not interested?
Old 10-06-13, 01:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

fixed!
Old 10-06-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty cool concept, I'm surprised that it wouldn't be something greenlight right away.
Old 10-06-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Pretty cool concept, I'm surprised that it wouldn't be something greenlight right away.
I agree. I know others have said the problem is budget. But footage from that trailer was taken from Solomon Kane. That film looked great and, as I recall, the budget was rather modest. It can be done without breaking the bank.

And I think the change of setting would be refreshing in more than just the aesthetic. Back then, the world was rife with superstition. It'd be interesting to see a group of people who actually believe a dark entity is indeed killing everyone and how they'd turn on one another as the perceived cause of their torment.
Old 10-06-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the younger audience that these movies generally skew towards may be less inclined to watch something set in that era...
Old 10-06-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
We'd never run out, and it would be fresh every time.

Dear god, you can't be serious?
It's a formula and it's been stale for awhile.

I admire your enthusiasm though, so....carry on.
Old 10-06-13, 06:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

As mentioned, interesting premise. Could have potential if done right.
Old 10-06-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
and the mediocre 5th film.
Get the fuck out of here.
Old 10-06-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It was mediocre. Hell, the only bit of innovation (the people trying to kill each other before death gets to them) is completely glossed over for the same old, same old. Sure, you get that sorta neat twist at the end but it's too little, too late at that point.

The 5th is better than the 4th but that's like saying solid shit is better than diarrhea. They're both still shit.
Old 10-06-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first one or two movies were great. After that my opinion of the series tapered off. The only impressive thing about the last film was the way it tied with the first film. Other than that I found it to be rather forgettable.

Even with a new take on the idea I can't really get excited about another installment in this series.
Old 10-06-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the surface it sounds neat, but half the fun is them orchestrating an initial disaster that a lot of people worry about (plane crash, huge pile up, rollercoaster failure, suspension bridge breaking). Dunno how people will relate to an old wooden ship named Diversity.

Next main disaster: skydiving! Go!
Old 10-06-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

5 was a blast. Just as fun as 1 & 2. Yes the formula has largely remained the same, but to me that's an odd complaint to levy against 5 given the twist at the end.
Old 10-06-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

5 was a blast. Just as fun as 1 & 2. Yes the formula has largely remained the same, but to me that's an odd complaint to levy against 5 given the twist at the end.
The twist at the end was the only thing it had going for it. The rest was just long stretches of boredom between kills that were so unmemorable I can't recall a single one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.