Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WBO (10/4-10/6): Gravity soars. Runner, Runner sinks.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-05-13, 04:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2692013.story
Alfonso Cuarón's 3-D sci-fi drama "Gravity" shot to the top of the box-office charts on Friday with more than $17.5 million in ticket sales, according to estimates.

The story of two stranded astronauts starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, "Gravity" is one of the top-reviewed movies of the year with a 98% positive rating on the fim review aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes. To open his review, L.A. Times film critic Kenneth Turan wrote: "'Gravity' is out of this world."

Filled with head-spinning action depicting outer space action and weightlessness, the film is Cuarón's first since "Children of Men" from 2006. That film, despite critical raves and three Oscar nominations, took in only $35.6 million at the domestic box office. "Gravity" is expected to exceed that number in its opening weekend.

The weekend's other debut, the Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck-led "Runner Runner," opened with an estimated $2.7 million on Friday and is on track for third place. The story of a college student (played by Timberlake) who gets tangled with an online gambler (Affleck), the film has earned mostly negative reviews. Its 8% score on Rotten Tomatoes is among the season's lowest.

Tracking for second place for the weekend, the animated film "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" earned an estimated $4.7 million on Friday. Rounding out the top five, "Prisoners" earned an estimated $1.7 million and "Don Jon," written and directed by star Joseph Gordon-Levitt, earned $1.4 million.
Old 10-05-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: WBO (10/4-10/6): Gravity soars. Runner, Runner sinks.

Will this be enough to cause reconsideration for Affleck as Batman? Please?
Old 10-05-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Good for Gravity
Old 10-06-13, 12:58 PM

'Gravity' makes one giant leap with record box office
Fueled by the strongest reviews of the year, Gravity hit the stratosphere at the box office this weekend, running rings around the latest thriller from Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake.

The Sandra Bullock outer space saga collected $55.6 million, a record in October, according to studio estimates.

The haul easily eclipsed analysts' projections of $35 million, and its near-unanimous positive reviews, analysts say, make it an early frontrunner in the awards race.

Propelling sales: IMAX theaters, which accounted for $11.2 million, the biggest October opening for any film in the colossal format. Company CEO Greg Foster says that the bulk of the nation's 425 IMAX theaters have booked Gravity for the next month.

"We have a special relationship with space films, beginning with our documentaries, and this is the kind of quality movie our audience expects," he says.

3-D acquitted itself well, too, as it accounted for 80% of ticket sales, according to distributing studio Warner Bros. Gravity eclipsed the October debut record of Paranormal Activity 3, which opened to $52.5 million in 2011.

The film earned an astounding thumbs-up from 98% of the nation's critics, according to survey site Rottentomatoes.com.

Fans were nearly as over the moon: 91% of moviegoers said they enjoyed the movie, directed by Alfonso Cuaron and co-starring George Clooney. Nearly 60% of the audience was 35 and over, and the movie scored an A- with moviegoers, according to pollsters CinemaScore.

Tim Briody of Boxofficeprophets.com says that Gravity had no trouble hitting the box office stratosphere despite the unpredictable nature of science fiction films — particularly original ones.

But the $100 million picture managed to combine "incredible effects, horror movie-style vibe (seriously, try and watch any scene from it without wanting to hold your breath), an A-list cast and ridiculously positive word-of-mouth to set everything up properly for the largest opening in months."

And it gives the fall season, which often sees sluggish ticket sales until Thanksgiving, critical momentum as studios try to catch last year's ticket sales pace.

"The real question at this point is how high it can go," says Ray Subers of Box Office Mojo.

Gitesh Pandya of Boxofficeguru.com says that Gravity drew non-sci-fi fans in part with its high-powered stars, particularly Bullock, who has discovered 2013 is her lucky number. Earlier this year, her comedy The Heat opened to $39 million on its way to $159 million. Both Bullock and Clooney scored the highest debuts of their career this weekend.

"Bullock remains a major star, very likable, and very bankable," Pandya says.

Affleck and Timberlake couldn't find their way to the bank this weekend as their crime thriller Runner Runner fell well below expectations. The only other newcomer of the weekend — which scored a miserable 8% approval rating among critics, Rottentomatoes.com says — mustered only $7.6 million, good for third place.

The animated comedy Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 took second place with $21.5 million, while the drama Prisoners took fourth with $5.7 million.

The Ron Howard racing film Rush rounded out the top five with $4.4 million. Final figures are due Monday.
Old 10-06-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Due to a movie where he, based on the billing, probably was a small role?

So, the answer to your question is: No, it won't.
Old 10-06-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it should be enough to cause reconsideration for Justin Timberlake in leading roles. I don't think he will ever win it over with the majority of male moviegoers, and his musical talents will not drive females to see him in something where he is not singing, dancing, and/or lip synching. But he still seems to get roles due to his celebrity status.

Freddie Prinze Jr. kept getting roles for a while too, and he is someone who I would put into the same category as JT.
Old 10-06-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice to see Gravity claim the top opening for fall. It deserved it.
Old 10-06-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No, because most of the reviews state that Ben affleck was good in this
Old 10-06-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
I think it should be enough to cause reconsideration for Justin Timberlake in leading roles. I don't think he will ever win it over with the majority of male moviegoers, and his musical talents will not drive females to see him in something where he is not singing, dancing, and/or lip synching. But he still seems to get roles due to his celebrity status.

Freddie Prinze Jr. kept getting roles for a while too, and he is someone who I would put into the same category as JT.
I agree that Timberlake probably will never be able to open a movie on his own. But to compare him to Freddie Prinze Jr. is kinda harsh. That guy has no acting skills.
Timberlake is pretty good in the minor roles. For instance, I loved him in Alpha Dog. He's fun in comedy spots too, he seems to not take himself to seriously.
Old 10-06-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Timberlake was great in Friends with Benefits. If he wants to keep moving up the acting ladder though I think he needs to ditch the music and focus on the acting full time.
Old 10-06-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With Gravity opening at 55.5 mil, it is now no longer George Clooney's number 1 opener (that would be Batman & Robin)
Old 10-06-13, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
With Gravity opening at 55.5 mil, it is now no longer George Clooney's number 1 opener (that would be Batman & Robin)
Now no longer?

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-06-13 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

BATMAN AND ROBIN opened at more than $55 million?

Not according to IMDB:
Opening Weekend
$42,872,606 (USA) (22 June 1997) (2,934 Screens)
Old 10-07-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
I agree that Timberlake probably will never be able to open a movie on his own. But to compare him to Freddie Prinze Jr. is kinda harsh. That guy has no acting skills.
Timberlake is pretty good in the minor roles. For instance, I loved him in Alpha Dog. He's fun in comedy spots too, he seems to not take himself to seriously.
Based on his work in SOCIAL NETWORK, I would classify Timberlake as a very good character actor, but not a movie star.
Old 10-07-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Yeah, but there were no nipples on his spacesuit!
Old 10-07-13, 02:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

This sentence structure put my mind into an infinite loop; need to reboot.
Old 10-08-13, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
This sentence structure put my mind into an infinite loop; need to reboot.
typed it too late!

meant to say "with a 55.5 mil open, Gravity is now George Clooney's top opening weekend film. (the former champ was Batman & Robin)
Old 10-08-13, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clooney is so happy. You know all his friends kept bring it up. "So George, how's you're #1 opening movie doing?"
Old 10-08-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

$55.8m final weekend gross for Gravity. Pretty impressive.

Pulled an additional $6m on Monday, $1,686 per theater average for Monday - compared to #2 - Cloudy which had a $245 per theater average.
Old 10-08-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Barth
Yeah, I like Timberlake fine in bit roles, but I just do not buy him as a leading man. I really cannot separate Timberlake the pop star from Timberlake the actor.
Old 10-08-13, 03:46 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought Timberlake was fine in "In Time". Not a great film, but watchable.
Old 10-08-13, 07:23 PM

was pretty good in Alpha Dog as well.